AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new low-endish 7.1 receiver. I figure I might as well go with HDMI 1.4, not because I need it but just for future proofedness. (The last receiver I bought was in 1990. With luck this new one will last me 20 years also.)

So I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Pioneer VSX-920 and the Onkyo TX-SR608 . Both are expected to arrive next month. Are there other models I should be considering? [a note about those hyperlinks: The VSX-920 link is to the PDF operating manual, while the SR608 link is to the product page. I couldn't find a VSX-920 product page, nor a SR608 manual. Go figure.]

The SR608 has 6 HDMI inputs and a DE-15 ("VGA") analog PC input. The VSX-920 has only 4 HDMI inputs but has integrated iPod control with included USB/video cable. There may be other differences in features too, and I'd love to hear about them, but I primarily mean to ask about audio and video quality.

For instance the SR508 has "video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi cinema" while the VSX-920 evidently has "Anchor Bay (ABT1015) video processing." How do these compare, and what else do I need to know?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc /forum/post/18312446

I couldn't find a VSX-920 product page,

The Amazon product page: VSX-920 . Note that in the feature comparison chart, the model names are links to pages for other AVRs in the new series.

I'm planning to get the VSX-1020, mainly for the more elaborate version of the MCACC calibration system. I have a simpler version of MCACC, probably similar to that of the 920, on two previous generation Pioneer receivers, and it works okay, but it's a bit limiting if you like to fiddle, which I do.

Sorry I can't compare the Onkyo 608 for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/18312715

I'm planning to get the VSX-1020, mainly for the more elaborate version of the MCACC calibration system.

I probably should have mentiod the VSX-1020, since its $550 list price is approximately that of the SR608. (The VSX-920 lists for $400.)

The VSX 920 -> 1020 upgrade gets you:
  • 2 more HDMI inputs (don't need them now, but I may some day)
  • control via iPhone (but I don't have an iPhone)
  • onscreen album art for iPhone/iPod (not something I care about)
  • powered second zone functionality (I have no need)
  • advanced MCACC speaker calibration (standard speaker calibration is fine with me, because I don't know what I'm missing)
  • internet radio via ethernet port (now this is something I would actually use, probably, depending on the specifics)

So is this worth an extra $150 to me? I dunno.

Do you suppose the ethernet port (that internet radio uses) also supports HDMI 1.4 ethernet channel (HEC)? It's not like I couldn't string my own ethernet cable to the TV, but that would be cool.

Does noone out there have a "Faroudja DCDi cinema" vs. "Anchor Bay ABT1015" opinion?

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc /forum/post/18319543

I probably should have mentiod the VSX-1020, since its $550 list price is approximately that of the SR608. (The VSX-920 lists for $400.)

The VSX 920 -> 1020 upgrade gets you:
  • 2 more HDMI inputs (don't need them now, but I may some day)
  • control via iPhone (but I don't have an iPhone)
  • onscreen album art for iPhone/iPod (not something I care about)
  • powered second zone functionality (I have no need)
  • advanced MCACC speaker calibration (standard speaker calibration is fine with me, because I don't know what I'm missing)
  • internet radio via ethernet port (now this is something I would actually use, probably, depending on the specifics)

So is this worth an extra $150 to me? I dunno.

Do you suppose the ethernet port (that internet radio uses) also supports HDMI 1.4 ethernet channel (HEC)? It's not like I couldn't string my own ethernet cable to the TV, but that would be cool.

Does noone out there have a "Faroudja DCDi cinema" vs. "Anchor Bay ABT1015" opinion?

i've read on AVS that the ABT does a better job than the Faroudja.

i was happy to find this thread, albeit a little old, because these are the 2 receivers i'm looking at also (plus the onkyo 508), and i would love to hear more feedback. i've read a lot on the excitement over the pioneer 1020, but for someone like me, the 920 gets me all the main features for a much nicer price tag.

for contect, i use a ps3 slim for gaming/movies through hdmi and an HD cable box trough hdmi 95% of the time. i do own a wii, that almost never gets touched, and sometimes fire up the ps2 for some nostalgia gaming, so i suppose the up-conversion would be nice. but for the vast majority of the time, it'll be all hdmi hd sources.

i've been using the same sony avr for the last 10 years, and would love to start taking advantage of the soundtracks on my blu-rays, but i don't have a ton to spend and prolly couldn't tell a huge difference. i don't need every bell and whistle, but i wanted a 7.1 system (even though i only have 5.1 speakers right now) with solid sound options and 1080p up-conversion for the rare occasion i need it.

i've been looking at the pio 920 as well as the onkyo 508 and 608 trying to decide the best mix of value and features for my particular needs. any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am deciding on the 920 or the sr608. I like that both have the new PIIz front height setup because my couch back is against the wall so i don't have room for rear surrounds in 7.1, instead I can just put the ceiling speakers i bought for 7.1 in the wall above the fronts and have this new cool surround format.

My main question is the sound quality between these 2. I see that Onkyo is THX Select2 Plus Certification, does that mean its better? I know some brands exaggerate the output wattage so I wondering how Pioneer compares to Onkyo which rates wattage accurately.

I already have the 3d tv and its cool as hell, I can wait to have 3d sound from PIIz too!

Let me know which one you guys think has better sound quality, I have a small room but pushing Paradigm Montior 11's and 4 Paradigm cs-60r (ceiling speakers) for surrounds.

thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was also previously looking at the lower-end price range too and the Pioneer 1020 and Onkyo 608 are in the same range feature/pricewise, likewise the 920 and the 508.

I think my needs are a little simpler than the 1020/608 set, so I went with the Onkyo 508, but one of the reasons I went with Onkyo is that I've been able to find them at better pre-order prices than the Pioneers as of right now, so you might consider the 608 just because it might result in a better overall dollar:feature deal. And if this flips, of course, then look at the equivalent Pioneer 1020.

Cheers,

r_d

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd go with the Onkyo myself for two reasons. I prefer Audyssey to MCACC and the non-Elite Pioneer receivers have some pretty weak amp sections. Onkyo does much better on the bench. The 920 has a power consumption of 2.3A vs. 6.3A on the 608.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am also considering the Pioneer 920 / Onkyo 508. The price is better on the 508 but I am concerned about heat issues. The Onkyos I have looked at @HHgregg are HOT. It will be in an enclosed cabinet with speaker cloth on the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also considering the VSX-920 and the VSX 1020 for use with my PS3. I was wondering if it would be an issue using 6 ohm speakers with either of these (speakers about 80W each)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts