AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi does the vsx d912k really offer 110 watts per chanel its seems that i have to crank up the volume all the way to 30 to 20db to really get big sound whats normal listening volume for you guys when watching movies i dont know maybe its me but i find the power on this unit a little low for 110 watts and i have a small room

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Probably not - I'm guessing it puts out more like 50 WPC clean power, but this is not the end of hte world.

1) 50 watts vs 100 watts is only 3 dBA.

2) If it really puts out 100 watts, and you are listening at -20 dB relative to the 100 watts, it is putting out 1 watt. If it is -20 dB relative to 50 watts, you are listening at 0.5 watts. -30 dBA would be 0.1 or 0.05 watts depending on the reference level.

So if you use the receiver at a setting or -20 dB, then I would not worry about how much power it is using and how much it is capable of. Part of the problem may be the calibration of the reference level with your speakers. You can get a cheap SLM at Rat Shack and set the speaker level to 75/85 dB (depending on what the internal reference levels are or what calibration disk you use)

I have a Kenwood VR 7070 which was tested in a review to put out about 90 WPC. I listen anywhere from -15 to -45 dB depending on the mix of the source material. It seems like I always set DTS soundtracks at -15 to -25 dB and DD ones at -20 to -30. CDs are often around -35 to -40 dB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info i checked out test done the d912 and its actually 80 watts per chanel not 110 but thats ok i had a technics receiver before this one wich stated 100 watts per chanel and had more power than the pioneer but for nothing becuase i got alot of distortion especially when i got the jbl speakers i had bose before but they are just a name more than anything else again thanks for the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
SLM stand for sound level meter. You can pick one up at Radio Shack for $40. It measures sound in decibels. You use it to calibrate the levels of your surround speakers. If you have a DVD like Avia or sound and vision, you can use the test tone section of the DVD to produce tones through each of your speakers in turn. The slm will tell you the loudness of the tone coming out your speakers. You then adjust your speaker levels individually until they are all at the designated level of 75 or 85 decibels depending on which DVD you are using.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the info i checked out test done the d912 and its actually 80 watts per chanel not 110
How did you test the actual wattage at 80?

·
Registered
645 Posts
A level of -20 is perfectly normal, no need to worry. The Pio should set the ref level at 85db automatically. So when you have -20 that means you are listening at conversation level. A normal conversation across the table is around 65 dbA. Reference level would be at 0. If you want to you can check that with the Radio Shack meter but I don't think it's necessary.

If your receiver plays without distortion at 0 that is ref level and you can even stand that loudness during an entire movie everything is fine except your hearing. On the other hand, your speakers might be particularly demanding but then you'd probably not have a 912 to go with it.

In one of my set-ups I use a Luxman power amp with a wattage meter. The speakers are huge four-way models with a mediocre efficiency of 87db/2.83V/m in a 1600 cubic feet room. With a normal CD in stereo it blows me away using only ten watts.

So don't worry about wattage as long as you get distortion free sound at your favourite listening level.

Cheers,

Till

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi nicksp i didnt check it out my self yet with the slm i entered in several site wich ran test the 912 and it said it was actually 80 watts out of the 110 pioneer says but iam going to check it out myself anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.