AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We may have discussed this before, but it appears that Pioneer is walking in the footsteps of Fuji when it comes to Warranty issues. This has to do with "Authorized Internet Dealers".

Pioneer Plasma- Authorized Internet Dealers!!!

After you hit the link above and the Web Page comes up, go to the left and click on "Plasma" and a "Pop-up Window" will appear with Pioneers Policy.

For those that did not know this and are looking at Pioneers may need to consider this Policy when shopping and buying on-line.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
A big difference is that it appears they will be authorizing people to sell online.

Now, the next question is will there be difficulty in getting product through distribution? If so, this could change things very swiftly. But I don't see that happening as it would cause other problems.

Instead, I imagine Electrograph being required to "register" all the dealers who wish to sell Pioneer plasmas on line and Pioneer will have a right to nix them. Especially the consumer line.

Mark

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
And I assume that Pioneer Authorized Internet Dealers will adhere to any Pioneer edicts on M.A.P. (Minimum Advertised Pricing), so that low-ball online prices will become a thing of the past.

This is a trend that we will likely see proliferate throughout the industry.

Eric

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why would Pioneer want to limit their channels of distribution by maintaining an artificially high price?

Doing so would basically be handing their market share of internet sales to Panasonic, etc. Doesn't make sense to me.

Fortunately, I already have a 433-CMX so would not be affected.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gehring
Why would Pioneer want to limit their channels of distribution by maintaining an artificially high price?

Doing so would basically be handing their market share of internet sales to Panasonic, etc. Doesn't make sense to me.
I don't think it is "Artificially" high. It is a MSRP...It is what they suggest the piece is worth. Doing what they are doing keeps smaller businesses in operation. I work for a very small custom install company that provides a "No questions asked" warranty. It breaks, we replace it. Why would we provide such a warranty if we didn't make any profit from the sale itself?. Unfortunately we have to match or beat Best Buys prices to make sales and people still say "I can get it on the web for much cheaper". It's hard for a company to run off of profit only. Customers don't understand that if they pay internet prices for plasmas it doesn't make it worthwhile for us to deliver it to them. We lose on it that way.

·
Registered
344 Posts
McNasty, I was not talking about the MSRP. That is a totally artificial price point, and every person on this forum knows that. Do you pay MSRP for the cars that you buy, or furniture, or other big ticket items? I doubt it.

The price that I was referring to is the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) that is referenced in egcarter's post. If Pioneer enforces an MAP for Internet dealers, it would mean that Internet dealers could not advertise prices for Pioneer plasmas for less than the MAP. It would kill the Internet channel of distribution for Pioneer, since the advertised price for Pioneer plasmas will not be competitive with the Internet advertised prices of Panasonic and other brands. I believe this would put Pioneer at an extreme disadvantage in trying to maintain market share against their competition.

The major purpose of this forum seems to be to help people to become more knowledge about flat panel displays by members interchanging information. Very few knowledgeable consumers will pay $8,900 for a Pioneer 433-CMX when it can be purchased from an authorized Internet dealer (sponsors of this forum) for $4,200, or less, given that the warranty is identical in either case. For those folks who are only comfortable buying from a B&M store, that is their prerogative. However, I would wager that most plasma owners on this forum purchased their plasma monitors at significantly discounted prices via Internet dealers. In addition, most members of this forum, are fully capable of accepting shipment and installing our plasma monitors. For those who don't start out that way, this forum helps them to become capable.

Incidentally, Best Buy is NOT price competitive with Internet sources - they are much higher.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The reason why they set MAP prices, is to help out YOURS as well as EVERYONE ELSES local economy. Thats the point I was making. Just because you can get it cheaper through the internet doesn't mean you are getting ripped off at a B&M store. Could the B&M store be cheaper? Sure they could, but they have people to pay that need jobs. Internet dealers have barely anyone to pay, thus creating less jobs, which results in lower prices. Before you argue with me, I DO agree stuff is way over priced, but thats technology for you. The economy is bad enough as it is, and if people keep getting their great deals online, they'll soon be complaining about a crashing economy. Not all internet companies are like this, but some are.

·
Registered
500 Posts
History has proven, over and over again, that artificial pricing or wages are not successful in the long run. Steel, autos, electronics. Demand an artificial price, demand an artificial wage and you will lose market share to competition. Who cares if you are making $25-50 an hour if nobody is buying your cars?

Who cares if you are protecting your local B&M if nobody is buying your plasmas?

I understand the issues and the impact on lives. But we now live in a world economy. Be competitive or die... Provide value to the consumer thru superior support, knowledge, relationships ... or don't ....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Eternity,

What about Bose? They have been very successful doing this for years....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good point and good question. I have not kept up with them ... which answers part of the question. How relevant are they these days?

They used to have great technology with their 901s, etc. Then they were innovative; a new concept of speakers that had a huge WAF, headphones with advanced technology. There is "meat" in those concepts that allows the luxury of limited distribution. But outside of those innovations, what is their market share in speakers and electronics? I don't know, but once again - the fact that we don't know answers part of the question.

I love to see technical improvements or design concepts that change the game. Those advatages are typically hard to maintain. So distribution and support (i.e. Dell) have to become a core compentency and have to meet the consumers buying habits.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Bose is the single-best marketed set of products in America. Period.

And that goes for almost all aspects of marketing: product management, advertising, merchandising, etc.

People perceive high value in their "technology", their form factors meet people's needs, the products are ubiquitously available through company-owned boutiques and retailers, many of them have horribly high price:performance ratios (i.e. that's not a good thing)... and most people associate the product with quality that justifies the price.

No company in America sells less for more. I kid you not.

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
A big difference is that it appears they will be authorizing people to sell online.
I wonder if (how long before) the large online dealer (and Electrograph partner) where I bought my 503CMX will becomes an authorized Pioneer plasma dealer? On one hand, it would be hard to argue against authorizing a reseller of that magnitude. On the other hand, does their penchant for offering discounts as the quarter end approaches, go against the (nobody dare says "price-fixing") intentions of authorizing online resellers.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, Fuji cannot be shorthand for Fujitsu, as we have pedantically argued and agreed before.

Pio means nothing, therefore it can be shorthand for Pioneer.

Panny means nothing, therefore it can be shorthand for Panasonic.

Fuji means Fuji, which makes digital cameras, among other products.

Fujitsu means Fujitsu, a different company that makes plasmas and laptops, among other products.

It's a minor point, but one worth repeating.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
No, Fuji cannot be shorthand for Fujitsu, as we have pedantically argued and agreed before.

Pio means nothing, therefore it can be shorthand for Pioneer.

Panny means nothing, therefore it can be shorthand for Panasonic.

Fuji means Fuji, which makes digital cameras, among other products.

Fujitsu means Fujitsu, a different company that makes plasmas and laptops, among other products.

It's a minor point, but one worth repeating.
Good, it's not just me saying this over and over and over. :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm relatively new to the forum so I wasn't involved in those discussions, but I guess I see it like this. Does Fuji make plasma or lcd panels? Given this is the "Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays" section, I understand what people mean when they say Fuji. Apparently everyone else did too since the correction didn't happen until way later in this thread. IMO it's nit picking.

That said however, I'm not going to re-open a discussion that has apparently been "settled" long ago, so I'll agree to disagree and move on.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
I'm relatively new to the forum so I wasn't involved in those discussions, but I guess I see it like this. Does Fuji make plasma or lcd panels? Given this is the "Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays" section, I understand what people mean when they say Fuji. IMO it's nit picking. That said however, I'm not going to re-open a discussion that has apparently been "settled" long ago, so I'll agree to disagree and move on.
No, Fuji doesn't make that sort of thing, at least yet. My comments on the matter were based on the simple fact that there is a separate company by the name people were shortening Fujitsu to. This is an audio/video/eletronic gadget forum, and searches on "Fuji" might be performed to find anyone talking about digital cameras or other Fuji product, and this messes that up. Searches on "Fujitsu" might be performed to find plasma info, and that would be screwed up.

Frankly, Pio and Panny present the same search problem. But as I consider those products not worth buying, I personally don't mind they wouldn't come up in searches; I'll let others take on that project if they care enough. :D

I also own both Fuji cameras and Fujitsu plasmas so I'm somewhat aware of the difference personally. Though I don't really like Fuji film. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Fuji (the camera company) has in the past made LCD projectors, and may again in the future.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.