AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the local Costco is now carrying 2 versions of the 50" Pioneer, the 50a5hd and the 5040hd, for the same price. Can anyone list the differences? I have searched but have not found a direct comparison. I believe I saw a link to a page that lists all generations of Pioneers, but I can't find the link anymore. That link would be very helpful also.

Thanks,

·
Registered
79 Posts

Can't find the other model? It may be a Costco re-branding of model #'s like they do and maybe some sku's haven't been changed? Especially since they're the same price?

How much are they listed at? And what store, as they're not on the website. This might help track down your question.

-m

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestan21

Can't find the other model? It may be a Costco re-branding of model #'s like they do and maybe some sku's haven't been changed? Especially since they're the same price?

How much are they listed at? And what store, as they're not on the website. This might help track down your question.

-m
Thanks for the response,

They are both listed at $$$ ( I hope this isn't against the rules. I don't think this is a sale or closeout price, so I don't know if this is MSRP). The costco is in IL(Naperville). I haven't seen Pioneer on their website but the local store has been carrying the 50a5hd for a while and just added the 5040HD a couple of weeks ago. Since, there price is the same, I was wondering the differences. The only noticable difference is the 5040 comes with a media receiver and the 50a5hd is integrated. But I don't know about when it was introduced, generation panel, electronics, etc. I'm assuming these are not the latest models.

EDIT>>

mod note: no price other than the MANUFACTURERS suggested retail price. Not what costco says.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm curious also. It would cost me twice as much to buy a 42" Pioneer Elite plasma at a HT store as it would to buy the Pioneer that costco sells. I wonder what the diffrences are to warrant double the price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 5040 is older technology. Im not sure about the other model.

you can do a search in the pioneer web site on the 5040 and compare it the new 5060.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think the 50a5HD might be the 5060 but has the tuners built in, no media box; I know there is a 43a3HD that plasma concepts is selling. cheers Mike

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemike
I think the 50a5HD might be the 5060 but has the tuners built in, no media box; I know there is a 43a3HD that plasma concepts is selling. cheers Mike
The 50a5HD is a 5050 without the media box, not a 5060.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about the price post.

So, the 50a5HD is the same as the 5050. I believe that's the 5th generation panel vs the 4th generation on the 5040HD. Does anyone know if this is a big difference? Also, is having the media receiver better than an integrated solution? I'm trying to figure out why these 2 displays are the same price when 1 is newer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone have an opinion on a integrated tuner vs the Pioneer media receiver?

Also, it looks like the 50a5HD only has 1 HDMI vs 2 on the related 5050HD. But I guess the 5040HD only has 1 also.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It depends on your personal application and need. For someone mounting a plasma on the wall, the receiver can add a great deal of convenience since only one wire (or 2, counting the plug) needs to go to the plasma itself. Everything else can be connected to the receiver. It also makes changing or adding components after your panel is mounted much simpler.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Anyone know about the 42" Pioneer at Costco. The 42" sets have Aug, Sep and Oct 2005 build dates. The 50" sets have Dec 05 build dates. Are the 42" sets old glass?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneal
Does anyone have an opinion on a integrated tuner vs the Pioneer media receiver?

Also, it looks like the 50a5HD only has 1 HDMI vs 2 on the related 5050HD. But I guess the 5040HD only has 1 also.
The 5040 has 2 HDMI and 2 Firewire ports.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I thought I heard Costco sells old stuff and their stuff breaks down quick (rumor). I bought a 14" Toshiba TV/DVD combo for the kitchen a couple years ago and it died. I will never buy Toshiba or buy from Costco again.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.