AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the f! Pioneer's Parson actually said that, if someone wants to spend $499 on a hidef player, they should get a PS3. Guess we wont be seeing any standalone BD players at $499 anytime soon.

Quote:
"It's cheap, but maybe it's cheap for a reason (added: referring to Toshiba's players," said Parsons. "If someone wants to spend $499 on a player, they should get a PS3."

opps sorry .. the link http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17508.html

·
Registered
530 Posts
It just means we won't be seeing one from Pioneer any time soon. PS3 is definitely an awesome BR player, so I don't see how that's a bad recommendation.

Kind of curious -- where is this from? (don't doubt that he said that, but I kind of want to read the rest of the article/interview/whatever)

Your sig is kind of boring, also.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Screw that where are the 300 titles?

I mean how long are HD DVD buyers supposed to wait? Maybe in march they will realse 30 titles a month? 30 titles x 10 months = 300.

Hold on is it 300 or 600 titles in 2007?

·
Registered
210 Posts
He goes on later to say ethernet ports weren't standard on BD players because it would drive costs up, yet these "cheap" HD-DVD players that are "cheap for a reason" managed to do it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I just read the same article from Parsons on the front page of AVS. I especially like this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY PARSONS /forum/post/0

It's [Toshiba A1 / A2] cheap, but maybe it's cheap for a reason. If someone wants to spend $499 on a player, they should get a PS3.

So it would appear that Parsons has joined the propaganda brigade along with Mike Dunn, Howard Stringer, Bob Chapek, Kazuo Hirai, and the rest of the Blu-Ray clowns. Imagine telling people to buy a videogame over a stand-alone player -- and this coming from the CEO of a supposed high-end CE company! Then he defends BD players' lack of an ethernet output, claiming it would add to the cost! So he belittles the Toshiba that (1) offers a mandated ethernet port for internet access & future downloading capability (optional on BD) (2) offers the mandated TruHD 5.1 decoding (optional on BD) (3) upconverts SD DVD better than high-end upconverting players (NO upconverting on the PS3). Oh, and it happens to deliver STUNNING HD PQ that is, at least, equal to any and all BD players on the market (including his company's player which is nearly 3x the cost)!!!

I happen to own the A1, and it is the BEST piece of electronics equipment I have ever gotten for $499. It's built like a tank, and its performance is excellent. This pathetic rhetoric is really getting old from the BD camp. They should concentrate more on the consumer's needs and less on their propaganda crusade.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Doesn't anyone feel the irony here. Parsons should be promoting Pioneer products but instead he's hyping a game console.

Something is awry here and feels dirty.

It's simple. If people don't buy PS3s, Blu-Ray will be a disaster, and all these loudmouths (cue the name list of 'BD spokespersons') would look silly holding their expensive thingamajigs after bombastically claiming victory in the format war at CES.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Blu-ray Disc Association must think we are stupid.

He says that not everyone wants network features anyway (as reasoning for leaving out ethernet ports). Uh, wouldn't early adopters be MUCH more likely to want to be able to take advantage of maximum features offered by Blu-ray compared to the mass-market.

If anything, ethernet ports should have been mandated for this first generation of players, and as prices come down have the option to leave them out.

Ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd nOOb /forum/post/0

Hold on is it 300 or 600 titles in 2007?

It's 600 titles total released on HD DVD by the end of 2007. 300 from 2006. 300 from 2007.

But, do you see 300 titles now?

Gary

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Ahh so If I don't see 300 titles they don't exist huh?

Maybe to some people but since the BDA has announced their movies we've already seen some delays. Until a movie is shipped to retailers it's vapor and subject to change at any moment.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
i wonder if ps2 made dvd's a success?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Doesn't anyone feel the irony here. Parsons should be promoting Pioneer products but instead he's hyping a game console.

Something is awry here and feels dirty.

Parsons' comments have always been strange, considering where he works.

Some of the people in the retail business who deal with him have indicated that he has a melon in place of his actual head....go figure.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie /forum/post/0

Parsons' comments have always been strange, considering where he works.

Some of the people in the retail business who deal with him have indicated that he has a melon in place of his actual head....go figure.

In defense of Parson, the melon is one of the great fruits of the world.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The way I read his statement is that if you want to spend only $499, buy a PS3 and get a good Blu-ray player, don't spend the same $499 on a Toshiba and get HD-DVD.

This makes sense from his perspective as promotion chair of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deane Johnson /forum/post/0

The way I read his statement is that if you want to spend only $499, buy a PS3 and get a good Blu-ray player, don't spend the same $499 on a Toshiba and get HD-DVD.

This makes sense from his perspective as promotion chair of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

Exactly.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If Toshiba players are "cheap for a reason" then logically the PS3 must be even "cheaper" for reasons similar.

Why not spend $499 on a 360 core + HD DVD add-on drive? There is just as much logic in doing that as there is in picking up a PS3 probably more so since there are actually decent games on the 360.

I mean, if this guy is trying to sound like he has the customer's best interest at heart, why not present all options instead of just pitching the PS3?

BD shills make my stomach turn. So many in this industry are losing respect over this whole Blu Ray debacle.

Quote:
So it would appear that Parsons has joined the propaganda brigade along with Mike Dunn, Howard Stringer, Bob Chapek, Kazuo Hirai, and the rest of the Blu-Ray clowns. Imagine telling people to buy a videogame over a stand-alone player -- and this coming from the CEO of a supposed high-end CE company! Then he defends BD players' lack of an ethernet output, claiming it would add to the cost! So he belittles the Toshiba that (1) offers a mandated ethernet port for internet access & future downloading capability (optional on BD) (2) offers the mandated TruHD 5.1 decoding (optional on BD) (3) upconverts SD DVD better than high-end upconverting players (NO upconverting on the PS3). Oh, and it happens to deliver STUNNING HD PQ that is, at least, equal to any and all BD players on the market (including his company's player which is nearly 3x the cost)!!!

I happen to own the A1, and it is the BEST piece of electronics equipment I have ever gotten for $499. It's built like a tank, and its performance is excellent. This pathetic rhetoric is really getting old from the BD camp. They should concentrate more on the consumer's needs and less on their propaganda crusade.

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.