Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Today, I discovered something about the MCACC program found in the Pioneer Elite integrated receivers. When I ran the automated MCACC program in my family room this past weekend, I new it had a goal in mind, but from previous discussions with Pioneer's Tech Support they could not confirm a goal was intended, let alone define a goal.

Well, today I set the Master Volume (MVol) on my MCACC-calibrated Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX integrated receiver to -10dB, popped in the Avia calibration DVD, went to Chapter 7: Main Speaker Setup, and played the Left-Front Level test-tone.

I sat in my normal listening position, which was also the location the MCACC microphone sat when the system was calibrated. I had in hand a Radio Shack 33-2050 SPL meter set to the 80dB scale. With the above test-tone playing, I picked up the remote to my receiver and started to increase the volume until the SPL meter read 85dB.

When the SPL meter read 85dB, I looked up at the front panel of my Elite receiver to see the MVol was at 0dB. I repeated this experiment for the center channel, the front-right loudspeaker, and the two surround channels. Only the surround channels deviated, and they were off by 1 and 2 dB respectively.

To insure I was not doing something wrong (and still could have done something wrong), I set the MVol to 0dB (as read on the receiver's front panel), played [again] the Front-Left test-tone originally used, and read 85dB on the SPL meter. I then picked up the remote to the receiver, and while only looking at the SPL meter lowered the volume until it read 75dB (SPL ranges from -10 to +6dB for a given scale, and it was presently reading -5dB on the 80dB scale).

At this point I looked up at the front panel of my receiver to see what the MVol read and it was at -10dB. Interesting! Does this mean that the dB on the MVol corresponds to the dB on the SPL for a MCACC-caibrated environment? Maybe. But I will wait until other Elite owners to try this and report their results. For now, this little surprise is agreeable with me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like everything is as it should be. The Avia tones are recorded 20dB below peak level (105dB) so they should come out at 85dB when your volume control is at 0dB. Most reciever test tones would be 30dB below peak level so should be 75dB if the volume control is at 0dB. That reciever is THX certified isn't it?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is THX-Select certified, yes, but I was not aware that THX certification necessarily required this behavior.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Every THX preamp or reciever that I've seen is able to display the volume relative to a 0dB reference level. I don't know whether it is a requirement, but I would say that being able to easily identify reference level is necessary. The accuracy of the volume scale could well be part of the THX certification.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you are forwarding something not even Pioneer's Tech Support for Elite products could even forward. That's not a knock against you, but against the individuals in that particular Pioneer department. They read from scripts, which is usually a dead give-away as an out-srouced responsability.

Unfortunately, this will only have negative conclusions in the end. Its a damn shame that consumers can learn more about Pioneer Elite products than from Pioneer!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Is there something wrong with my pioneer elite receiver?

when I run mcacc I get these levels:left=+1.0,center=+0.5,right=+0.5.when I set the levels using a good rad shack meter I get,left= -2.0, center= -2.0, right= -2.0.Setting on the meter is 75db.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.