AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon has the VSX-822-K discounted to $220. How good is this AVR? I know the OSD is primitive compared to Yamaha and Denon. Does the unit remember each surround setting for each input? How good is the amp section? I can't tell if it has discrete amps like Denon touts in thier adverts. The equivalent Yamaha RX-V473 is $280, not usre it it's worth $60 more than the Pioneer. I haven't seen the Denon AVR-1613 discounted yet as the new "E" series has launched.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really am beginning to hate shopping for a new AVR. I was all set to get the Pioneer VSX-822. The things that bug me about it is there is no adjusting the auto-eq setup after the fact and the ODS is just text and very DOS like. Yamaha and Denon offer graphic EQ's for manual setup. I am also unsure if the Pioneer remembers the surround setting for each input like my old Yamaha does. I am also unsure of what kind of power amp "direct Energy" is. Is it discrete, chip, class D?

My only other choices are refurb units like Denon AVR-1613 and Yamaha RX-V471.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would stay away from 822 for three reasons:

1) No one video output (rca in will be rca out vs. rca in to HDMI out)

2)User interface sucks compared to Denon

3)MCACC version in this amp is not good at all compared to Audessy

I would recommend a Denon 1912, 1913, or 1911 over this amp. The sound is fantastic (for the the price range) and one video out. Keep an eye out on amazon for deals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts