Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A while back I (misguidedly) bought a Pioneer CLD-D701 on EBay. Well, the jackass I bought it from shipped it without any packing or a transit screw. So of course the tracking guide mechanism was busted when i received it. I actually had it repaired for about 150 bucks. Then it broke again about 4 months later (just out of the blue). Then I had it repaired again, another 150 bucks. Now, six months after that, guess what-- the tracking guide mechanism broke again. What the hell is with this thing?? I can't afford to keep pouring money into this POS, and apparently none of the screws I've used to substitute for a transit screw were ever long enough. Not that it should matter because when I move it (what little I do), I treat it more gingerly than a newborn baby. But apparently that doesn't help...

So I need a new LD player (Hey, I'm not giving up my Star Wars LDs or Blade Runner Criterion disc), but here's my concern-- Why should I assume the same damn thing wouldn't happen with any other Pioneer LD player that has "Both side play"?? If I go online and buy a D704 to replace it, how sure can I be that it won't arrive broken (or not be able to survive the move to my new apartment?)?? How does this problem occur? Is it most common in the 701? Should other models also be avoided? HOW CAN I KEEP THIS FROM HAPPENING TO ANY REPLACEMENT PLAYERS??

By the way, in terms of replacements, I want one that does both side play, digital effects on CLV discs, and AC-3 RF out. Also, I'd prefer one of the newer ones with the better digital 3-D Comb Filter. If any of you guys have something like that sitting around that could be had for around 200 bucks or less, please let me know!

Any answers or any comments on any of these questions will be GREATLY appreciated...

-Dan

·
Registered
241 Posts
What can anyone actually say that will make you comfortable with another purchase?

I owned a 701 for about 3 years before I upgraded to a CLD-99 about 4 years ago. I gave the 701 to a friend who has not had any problems with it, just as I never had any problems with it. I have never had a problem with my 99 either.

To me, it sounds as if you were the subject of a less than honest Ebay seller and incompetent repair technicians --- or it's just plain Laser Gremlins. I don't think anyone is going to be able to assure you that another used Ebay LD player won't have problems as well. Sorry.

Dave

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd be content to know that other models from pioneer later on didn't rely on the transport screw system. this would tell me that at least the internal build of the machine is a little more sturdy, or fullproof. are other models designed differently in that respect?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought a elite 79 that came packed like a tank it it still was busted when the Fed Ex monkey dropped it on my doorstep upside down

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Dan, many people don't know what the trasport screw is. Pioneer quit using them a long time ago. Your 701 may have been the last model year to use them. I have one of those long pinky-red transport screws. It came out of an even older player, the CLD-52. My mom stille uses the 52. They don't die easy.

For everybody who has never seen a model with a transport screw, it's on the back of the player and holds the tray stille. You don't ship these players without one. It's odds of arriving alive are very low.

The guy who sold you the 701 really screwed you. The 701 has a bad rep for breakdowns in the first place. Your's is as the song sez, "all shook up", too. I would give up on it and get a newer player. The newer 7xx series players are way better. You should set your sites on a CLD-D704, bare minimum. It's newer, better, and suppourts all sound formats.

Unless you're very lucky you'll pay more than $200 and it doesn't have a 3-D comb, 3-line, actually. You'll have to pay considerably more to get a player with a 3-D filter on board.

Be patient about gtting another player and solicit hlp on the board and I, or others on the board can help you pick out a better player. Best wishes!

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I too believe the '01 series was the last with transit screws (I had a 501 w/a transit screw). I would recommend anything '04 and later; they already have the AC-3 output and have a good rep. I did the same thing as a previous poster a couple of years ago: upgraded to an Elite-99; even though it was repaired (under warranty), I've been very happy with it.

And, yes, I also refuse to give up my Star Wars and Blade Runner LD's--as well as Terminator, Aliens, Star Trek movies (even some Next Generation LD's--I mean how much better could the DVD's be--the original broadcast was 4:3 with simple Surround Sound)!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.