AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.. I'm the proud new owner of my dream plasma.. a panni TH-42PD25U/P... I LOVE IT... I owned a maxent edtv 42" I bought from costco, but had to return it after realizing the picture was not very good (and after seeing the panni at sears on display)... So here's my problem..

I have digital cable and have a scientific atlanta explorer 3200 box it has an RFI-Out and RF-In for the cable and it also has S-video input and audio left and right.. I currently have the cable coming in from the wall into the back of RF-IN on the cable box and going to the panni to the antenna A input.

When I try and use the PIP I cannot get it to show anything different than what the main screen is showing.. I played around with it many times and ways but no luck..

I must be missing something, right? well if anyone has an extra moment to show a panni plasma newbie a new trick I'd really appreciate it...

Most likely I wont use the PIP much but really would like to be able to have it wotk when needed...(kids and cartoons, me and the news.....)

thanks alot...

scott

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you only have one coax feed from the cable converter. The only way you'll get PIP is to split the signal before the box and put the raw cable in antenna B. Doesn't your cable co. provide HiDef boxes?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kenabb for the replie.. I'm going down tomorrow to hopefully pick up a HD cable box... So what your telling me is to, before the cable goes into the cable box, add a splitter have one cable go into the RF coax IN on the cable box and run the other cable from the slitter directly to the ANT B on the tv.... Did not try that set up yet, I had run a splitter after the cable had gone through the box, but no luck..

Thanks again for input!! many aloha's

scott

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ask your Cable Co. about the CableCard. You can ditch the box and use the 25U/P's tuner. If you use the Card you'll be able to use PIP with just one feed into the set. There's a few limitations but I think it's worth the trade offs. If you have to use the HD box be sure you use the component out into the set to get the full image quality of your Plasma. It will be a knockout picture.

Good luck, Ken

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see this thread is starting to go a bit off topic...headin' towards getting HD signal.

The basic answer to your question is this....to get PIP to work, you must run MULTIPLE inputs to whatever display you're using.

If you want to watch DVD w/TV signal PIP, you must have a DVD to one input & TV signal to another input...

If you want to watch 2 different TV signals at once, you must have 2 different TV signal inputs to your display....and so on.

That's the long & the short of it....

·
Registered
157 Posts
911 your right, I was thinking of a TV signal only. But if you have a CableCard ready set you only need 1 coax cable feed to get 2 different channels with PIP. The sets internal tuners does the work. The reason I mentioned HD is because if Beachbum is feeding his Panni with coax he isn't getting the full potential of his Plasma.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if it is possible to use PIP with 2 separate channels coming from my Adelphia digital cable STB, which I connect using composite cables (no other choice)?

·
Registered
119 Posts
With the th42pd25u, you can use your existing cable and OTA antenna signals for PIP. The OTA PIP will only provide analog channels. Another option is to use a cable splitter before the STB. A third option is to use a STB with dual tuners and use the cable box PIP. The only drawback to the cable box PIP is that you cannot split frames.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ALRIGHT..... I GOT IT!! To everyone that has replied.. many thank you's.

I just finished installing my new scientific atlantic 8000HD -DVR cable box.. Got the HD Package.. and I'm totally Blown AWAY!! what A killer picture.. even the cable channels that aren't HD are beautiful, the lower stations like 2-13 don't come as clear as I like.. But damm Im not going to complain..

I'm using component cables coming from the cable box to my component IN on the panni.. and audio cables.. The PIP on the I use from the cable box works great..

My only problem now If Getting away from my TV.....

aloha everyone..

scott

·
Registered
119 Posts
Scott, you will enjoy the DVR, I have the same setup (th42pd25u and SA8000HD). I can't stop watching HD channels now. If you have a surround sound receiver, the SA8000HD supports digital and optical connections to pass Dolby Digital sound.

I found that turning down some of the settings on sharpness, Picture, and Brightness from the defaults helped improve the SD channels dramatically, at little expense to the HD channels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey qkslvr, maybe you can answer this question... While watching the non HD channels I have the grey bars on the sides of the picture, unless I use the stretch option on the DVR box is there a way to change the grey bars to Black?? It's kinda annoying at times.. When we want to watch the HD channels we use the DVR to switch back to the non stretched 1080i format.. Is this the best way you think??

thanks..

scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by qkslvr
Another option is to use a cable splitter before the STB.
sorry to seem kind of dense, but are you saying split the cable before it goes into the box, and run one coax into the STB and one into the plasma?Then I can do PIP with the STB as one input and the COAX (channels 1 - 120 or whatever) as the other?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ebm,

I believe you can split either way, as long as you have another tuner.

Beachbumz,

I have my SD channels (480i) set with Panny aspect controls to full or just, I don't get any bars unless I'm on an HD channel showing 4:3 content. In that case, I use the cable remote to stretch or zoom until HD content returns. I'm running the dvr in passthrough format.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for your help. This is what I did - it worked great!

I split the digital cable coax before the set top box

I ran one into the STB as Video 1

I ran the other into the VCR

I programmed the VCR and it accepted the cable channels

I then ran the VCR as Video 2

PIP works for the STB and channels 1-100 for the VCR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.