AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be the wrong forum but thought i would ask anyway. At worlds End will be on Blu-ray so i figure this somewhat relates

My local theatre is showing At Worlds End but they have separate showings. One is using a conventional film projector while the other is using a DLP.

So what I want to know is, was this movie filmed using HD Cameras ?

How would the picture look in one versus the other ?

I just want some opinions on which one I should go see.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Funny, I have the same question

My theatre now has DLP projectors so I ahve a choice.

Can't decide but Im leaning DLP since I ahve not seen a film on a DLP Theater Projector before.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga /forum/post/0

So what I want to know is, was this movie filmed using HD Cameras ?

How would the picture look in one versus the other ?

I just want some opinions on which one I should go see.

Thanks

No it is shot on film.

Well if the film projector is up to spec and the release print was processed correctly-they should look close to the same. But digital will have no film weave & dirt.

·
Registered
29,420 Posts
The movie was shot originally on 35mm film, but like most VFX-heavy pictures the film negative was scanned onto a Digital Intermediate stage for post-production. After editing and visual effects, the DI is then either output back onto 35mm film for the release prints or converted to the file format used for DLP projection. In this case, the DLP screening should give you a cleaner signal path, as well as avoiding film print wear & tear issues.

However, if the movie had a 4k resolution DI, but your local DLP cinema only has a 2k projector, you might get a more detailed picture on a 35mm print.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceofpower /forum/post/0

Our Rave cinema here has gone 100% DLP for all screening rooms and it looks fantastic. Dead Man's Chest was a knock-out and I'm sure At World's.. will be equally as good or better in PQ.

Is it comparable to what you get on Blu Ray?

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy /forum/post/0

The picture you see in a theater will have more detail (a 2048x858 source compared to 1920x800 pixels hd) & better color resolution (a larger dynamic range of color).

But Blu Ray done right is a great home experience.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Whatever my theater showed it on was pretty bad. For being the first showing, all of the cackling, spots, bad streaks, and the film seemed to stall between scenes seemed rediculous for being the first showing. That is something that should be happening in the movies second to third week, NOT its first showing.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy /forum/post/0

If the theater is using a 4k projector, it can be 2 to 4 times sharper than Blu-ray. If it is being screened with a 2k projector, it will be identical to what is on the Blu-ray.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain /forum/post/0

Whatever my theater showed it on was pretty bad. For being the first showing, all of the cackling, spots, bad streaks, and the film seemed to stall between scenes seemed rediculous for being the first showing. That is something that should be happening in the movies second to third week, NOT its first showing.

This is why I choose DLP whenever I can. I saw AWE last night in DLP and it looked amazing, even the trailers look incredible...Transformers, drool!!! Can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
How do you choose and how do you know which is what? Secondly, how do you even know if your theaters offers DLP?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've totally given up on theaters, regardless of what they have in the booth. The only thing they have on my basement is screen size. I saw pirates 3 today only because I couldn't wait, but compared to BluRay it was subpar. Also, in my basement I don't get stuck 6:50 for nachos. I'd never thought I'd be that old man that can wait for 6 months for a movie but I'm damn close.

Even with the best equipment in the booth, there will still be some jackass kid using his cell phone in the front row to call his girlfriend in the 5th row. Public theater is dead to me.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy /forum/post/0

If the theater is using a 4k projector, it can be 2 to 4 times sharper than Blu-ray. If it is being screened with a 2k projector, it will be identical to what is on the Blu-ray.

The master is 2K so on a 4K projector it has still 2K detail.

·
Registered
29,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain /forum/post/0

How do you choose and how do you know which is what? Secondly, how do you even know if your theaters offers DLP?

DLP.com has a list of equipped theaters and what they're currently showing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by celboy /forum/post/0

According to Sony, Spider-Man3 is the only film right now being shown in 4k.

London & tokyo.

The Odeon in Leicester Square must be doing it at 4k in London, I would go and see it again just for the 4k experience (I saw it at a local crappy theatre), but it is a very terrible movie IMO.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 /forum/post/0

The Odeon in Leicester Square must be doing it at 4k in London, I would go and see it again just for the 4k experience (I saw it at a local crappy theatre), but it is a very terrible movie IMO.

Yes, sad, isn't it? Most of these movies that "the guys" get all twitchy and excited about are Fairly Bad Cinema...

E

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

DLP.com has a list of equipped theaters and what they're currently showing.

Not one theater around me uses DLPs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.