AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After haveing lurked, read, drooled for the last few months, I am finally getting my basement built started. I would like to thank all the amazing folks on this forum for putting out all this valuable information for newbies like me to learn from, Esp like to thank Big in DC and Brit in VA from whose builds I learnt a lot. Also will be giving credit to all the other folks along the way. Here are a few basic sketches of the plan that I have so far. Please feel free to point out what you see wrong.

Pete.

Basement Plan - 06-30-10 - Opt 3.pdf 33.63671875k . file

Basement Plan - Option 2.pdf 152.3564453125k . file

Basement Plan - Option 1.pdf 221.4404296875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi. I'm new here, and have been planning and started working on my own HT room, but It looks like you'll have space for a 7-8 ft screen, but your front seats seem to only be 6 to 7 foot away. Perhaps your screen will be smaller, but the rule of thumb that I've used and agree with is the minimum seating distance should be no closer than about 1 1/2 times the screen width. This makes the minimum seating distance for a 7 foot screen to be 10.5 feet. I verified this at a local HT store by trying out different viewing distances. Try this and see what you think.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrat /forum/post/19581600

Perhaps your screen will be smaller, but the rule of thumb that I've used and agree with is the minimum seating distance should be no closer than about 1 1/2 times the screen width. This makes the minimum seating distance for a 7 foot screen to be 10.5 feet.

This would be wrong advise. Perfect seating distance, while highly subjective, starts by figuring out the screen type (16:9 versus 2.40).

As you can see from the chart below, with a 2.35 screen, you can easily sit 1:1 away and have it be a great experience. 1.5 is way too far back for most folks here with a 2.35 screen.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ok. I'm going to have to revisit this then, because from what I'm seeing now, the optimum viewing distance is twice the height or .84 times the diagonal of a 2.35:1 screen. To me, this seemed way too close, when I tried it in the store. The store setup had 2 rows of seats with the center of the 2 rows at 1.5 times the width of the 2.40:1 screen. The back row was much easier on the eyes than the front row.

Found it. I was going by this link before
http://www.wiseacres.com/screen.htm

where it's using a 30 degree angle as optimal. Going through the calculations it gives for an 8' (96") screen, the viewing distance is 14.93 feet, which is just over 1.5 times the width. But THX apparently uses a different calculation.

I see that your chart has 1.5 times the width for 30 degrees, but is rated as the maximum viewing distance for THX imersion experience.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think 1.5 is too far personally. At that distance it starts feeling more like watching TV and less like a movie...

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Pete /forum/post/19583212

I am gunning for a 120" 16:9 screen, First row if I am not mistaken in about 10' (with risers for row 2 and 3). I maybe wrong, I will go home and confirm. thanks for chiming in.

Pete

Are you going to have the height to do a 120" wide 16:9 screen? Or the money for the projector needed to light that bad boy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cathan, Epson 8100 just arrived...will that suffice to light up that bad boy? Ceiling height in the basement is 10'.

Framing in the basement is complete, wiring for 7.2 is done..Risers going in now. Berks are on their way too. I am unable to post pictures as the sizes are big any tips?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.