AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, basically.... Last night I found out that Comcast offers Pirates 2 in HD via pay per view, and I couldn't help but throw down 6 bucks to see what the deal was and get a preview of what might be in store for us on Blu Ray in May.


****, I had no idea it was going to look this good. If Disney merely just ports this MPEG 2 stream over to Blu Ray, we'll all still be in for a huge treat.


No grain anywhere, image is as clean as video... Yup, every scene has an insane amount of pop to it - Even dialogue scenes that you'd think may not be able to provide much of an insane amount of pop actually pop tremendously. I still can't believe I was watching it on pay per view... No compression artifacts anywhere. Maybe Comcast ups the bandwidth alloted to those.


Aside from the amazing three dimensionality that is in your face throughout the entire duration, the cinematography and lighting benefit tremendously from the increased color resolution provided by HD. It now is clear that every scene in the movie has been tweaked with shades of caribbean style colors including extremely vivid greens, turquoises, yellows, and oranges.


Sky colors jump out in vivid shades that really capture the tropical paradise that is the Caribbean. The sun provides extremely bright color that is clean as a whistle. Every shot is extremely sharp, and it's quite apparent thanks to the lush environments littered with different types of beautiful trees native to the Caribbean.


Basically, the movie's just plain eye candy. It's pretty damn amazing how much better it looks than the DVD version. I thought the DVD looked pretty average, but the HD version just looks insane.


Argue about the story all you want, but it won't negate the fact that it is beautifully filmed with non-stop eye candy that *almost* draws attention away from the story line to the point where it does not even matter. A picture can paint a thousand words, they say.


Considering that Pirates 2 HD on demand looked THIS good, easily above Kingdom of Heaven or Black Hawk Down levels, I have no doubt that the Blu Ray version will easily be a grand slam - Even if it's just a port of this with uncompressed audio. Seriously fabulous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it. I remember being very impressed with the trailer I downloaded from Xbox Marketplace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
I think Comcast (which I have) peaks out at 8Mbps, doesn't it? I'm trying to remember from their commercials for "Speed Boost" which claim they peak to 8Mbps. Comcast still uses MPEG-2, and you can bet Disney will most likely use AVC for these titles, whatever you saw via cable will pale in comparison to the actual Blu-ray.


And since you are so impressed with the MPEG-2, the disc should be a true gem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0


I think Comcast (which I have) peaks out at 8Mbps, doesn't it? I'm trying to remember from their commercials for "Speed Boost" which claim they peak to 8Mbps. Comcast still uses MPEG-2, and you can bet Disney will most likely use AVC for these titles, whatever you saw via cable will pale in comparison to the actual Blu-ray.


And since you are so impressed with the MPEG-2, the disc should be a true gem.

There's no way this is at 8 Mbps... Hell, the DVD itself is 5-6 Mbps, and this is an extremely VAST improvement over that... Probably one of the largest DVD -> HD leaps I've seen yet.


This looks even better than Kingdom of Heaven, no joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,283 Posts
I own Blu-Ray myself but this is one of the strangest posts I've ever seen.


How can you say a title looks awesome based on a totally different format and it's not even out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
No doubt/ change the topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,632 Posts
this sucks.... had my hopes up... someone change the title...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
^, the way the topic is...


You say that it looks stunning on BD/ Have you seen it on BD? No, you haven't.


Therefore to make those assessments is not Valid.

I say again. The title is very misleading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo /forum/post/0


^, the way the topic is...


You say that it looks stunning on BD/ Have you seen it on BD? No, you haven't.


Therefore to make those assessments is not Valid.

I say again. The title is very misleading.

Since you want to be real anal about it, one could say it is perfectly valid to make those assessments considering the Blu Ray version will have at LEAST an equal bitrate (more than likely higher and perhaps even with a next gen codec), therefore making it look better than this by default, and also stunning looking by default since this is so impressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
I wouldn't say it was absurd. I have seen some Discovery HD stuff look every bit as good as anything on blu-ray, that is until they start moving the camera really fast, then macroblocking kicks in
. Seriously though the stuff looks good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/0


Mods should lock this thread...either that, or the OP should change the misleading title.

Man why all the harsh criticism. I am not that offended by what he post here, I rather enjoy what he posted. We all know that POTC is not out on blu-ray, so you should have obviously not expected it to be a review about the blu-ray. People take these forums a little to serious sometimes.


"OMG, Admin, admin, look what he posted, blasphemy I tell you!!!"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surfer Dude /forum/post/0


Since you want to be real anal about it, one could say it is perfectly valid to make those assessments considering the Blu Ray version will have at LEAST an equal bitrate (more than likely higher and perhaps even with a next gen codec), therefore making it look better than this by default, and also stunning looking by default since this is so impressive.


and if my uncle had tits.....................


this should be moved to the HD programming forum.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top