Studio and Year: Disney - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 136 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 (3D Blu-ray), French/Spanish 7.1 DTS-HD HR (Blu-ray)
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Johnny Depp, Ian McShane, Penelope Cruz, Geoffrey Rush, Kevin R. McNally, Sam Claflin,
Directed by: Rob Marshall
Music by: Han Zimmer
Written by: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 18, 2011

"Captain Jack is back."

Film Synopsis:

Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. A tale of truth, betrayal, youth, demise and mermaids! When Jack crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penélope Cruz), he's not sure if it's love or if she's a ruthless con artist using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. Forced aboard the ship of the most feared pirate ever, Jack doesn't know who to fear more Blackbeard (Ian McShane) or the woman from his past. Directed by Rob Marshall, it's filled with eye-popping battle scenes, mystery and all-out wit.

My Take:

I know I know, ANOTHER Pirates of the Caribbean film? I have been a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean films since seeing Curse of the Black Pearl back in 2003. With the exception of On stranger tides I have managed to catch them all during their theatrical runs and have owned them on Blu-ray Disc since they became available. The departure of Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly left me without the urge to see this film when it was released. My daughter did however and she came away with a positive impression which gave me hope. On stranger tides introduces a few new faces in Blackbeard (Ian McShane) and Angelica (Penelope Cruz) and picks up where At world's end leaves off with Captain Jack in possession of a map that shows the location of the Fountain of youth. Penned by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio the film has much the same feel as the previous three and follows Jack as he wheedles, beguiles and maneuvers his way along in this pursuit of the clues/items needed to reach the legendary fountain of youth. Blackbeard and Angelica are integrated into the fold with a connecting storyline from past events that include both Jack and Captain Barbossa.

Along the way there are the usual twists and turns that provide Jack with the opportunity to outwit his opponents while engaging in his typically zany but ultimately purposeful behavior. The action is about what you might expect and there is a subplot involving mermaids that makes for one of the film's more entertaining moments. I had fun with On stranger tides but must admit that its compositional elements are very much been there done that. Depp is spot on as usual, and Ian McShane has no trouble with the gruff Blackbeard. Penelope Cruz doesn't add nor take anything away from the film and all the returning players, which include Geoffrey Rush and Kevin R. McNally reprise their roles with enthusiasm. I continue to enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise passé or not. Should they have stopped after Curse of the Black Pearl?, probably, but I find the swashbuckling action, well drawn characters and continuing adventure theme to be lots of fun.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action/adventure violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

3D Presentation: 88

• Depth (Onscreen):

• Dimension (Beyond the screen):

• Realism:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Color reproduction:

Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.3 Mpbs.

So far I have been satisfied with what I have seen of the natively shot 3D offerings that have come to Blu-ray and Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides is no exception. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There are a variety of sequences that provide a fun reach out and touch sense of dimensionality especially during the various segments shot in the jungle. Comparing color and fleshtone reproduction to the 2D presentation I saw no discernible difference. The rendering of detail and clarity is similar although I would give the slightest edge for all around visual pop to the 3D version. Ghosting was apparent here and there but didn't prove overtly distracting. Overall Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides makes for an entertaining film experience in 3D.

Action/adventure films like these are tailor made for lossless audio's higher fidelity and this 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio mix doesn't disappoint. This reference quality soundtrack bristles with active surround sound, extended dynamic range, and punctuated, room energizing bass that all makes for an enthralling home theater experience. Whether it's the supple texture of creaking timbers or the involving attack of aggressive mermaids the auditory is richly basked in sonic clarity and potent dynamic energy. Surround activity is abundant with purposeful near field and diffused atmospheric placement that creates an immersive sound field. Balance between the front and rear soundstages is spot on so that sounds that pass between the speakers going in either direction is done so in a seamless fashion. Low frequencies are rendered cleanly with a tactile richness that increases in intensity where appropriate. Dialogue is clear, full bodied and tonally descriptive throughout. This is a terrific lossless audio soundtrack that makes for a perfect companion to either Blu-ray presentation.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mpbs.

The Pirates of the Caribbean films have traditionally looked terrific in high definition and On stranger tides is no different. Images can be visually arresting and have a rich dynamic quality that highlights a near flawless rendering of detail. The video has excellent dimension and enriching clarity that rarely leaves me wanting. The stylized visual design features varied aesthetics that mate perfectly with subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, blue, beige, green, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. There are instances where a broader chromatic swath is utilized and when applied colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy that leap off of the screen. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. High production value expertly blends real imagery with CGI with the end result being a distinguished video presentation that evokes the swashbuckling adventure and spirit of the Pirates of the Caribbean series.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Rob Marshall and producer John DeLuca

• (HD) Disney's Second Screen App - Transforms the at-home movie watching experience by empowering viewers with the ability to engage with film content on multiple media platforms and bring them to life in their own hands at the touch of a button. By simply downloading the Second Screen App onto an internet-connected computer or iPad and synching it to the movie, consumers will instantly be able to dive deeper into the film.

• (HD) Bloopers of the Caribbean - 3 minutes

• (HD) Lego Pirates of the Caribbean - 5 segments

• (HD) Legends of on stranger tides - 36 minute featurette

• (HD) In search of the fountain - 11 minute featurette

• (HD) Last sail, first voyage - 8 minute featurette

• (HD) Under the scene: bringing mermaids to life - 9 minute featurette

• (HD) 5 deleted/extended scenes with introductions by director Rob Marshall

• (HD) Johnny vs. Geoffrey - 2 minutes

• Bonus DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides

Final Thoughts:

Pirates of the Caribbean On stranger tides is the fourth installment in the popular film franchise. It introduces a few new characters while essentially following the same narrative formula as seen in the other Pirates films. As such it feels a bit passé however as a fan I found it enjoyable in much the same way as the second and third installments. It makes its way onto Blu-ray in this five disc offering that includes resplendent 3D/2D high definition video, superlative 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio sound and a fairly comprehensive assortment of bonus supplements that presents fans with a look behind the scenes at the production. If you're a Pirates of the Caribbean fan this package from Disney makes for a great addition to your collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/21071966

When is the 3D release? I want this one bad myself.

Greetings,

October 18th. (Noted in the information section at the top of my review
)

Regards,

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee /forum/post/21071987

I skipped this one in the theaters, mainly because I couldn't find the time to go. I look forward to the bluray!

Same here. I own the other 3 on blu so I'll probably go ahead and blind buy this. (2D of course!)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I pre-ordered this earlier this year on Amazon. They had a nice deal and it ended up only being $23.99 for the 3D combo pack. I am glad to hear that the 3D presentation holds up well. Finally a movie with a good 3D presentation. There has been a lot of 2D-3D conversions as of late that have been terrible and I definitely stay away from them. I definitely am looking forward to Cars 2 and Transformers 3 in 3D. Unsure about Kung Fu Panda 2. Did not see anything about a 3D version being released.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where exactly did you hear room energizing bass??I saw it 2 days ago,and the LFE was mediocre..only towards the end when ian mc shane dies,there was some bass,but nothing spectacular.I think the expression room energizing bass applies much better to green lantern..

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Must buy for the natively shot 3D. So few movies are actually shot and not converted to 3D later. Mediocre series minus the first one which was spectacular!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Thanks, I should of read closer.

My wife and I taked about having a major Pirate Halloween party with this in 3D as the main feature in the theater.

I'll bet we all love it in all honesty. Excited the release is so soon!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpan /forum/post/21074475

Where exactly did you hear room energizing bass??I saw it 2 days ago,and the LFE was mediocre..only towards the end when ian mc shane ****,there was some bass,but nothing spectacular.I think the expression room energizing bass applies much better to green lantern..

I suggest this person's post be deleted for spoilers. Thanks man I haven't seen the movie yet

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm /forum/post/21075316

i suggest this person's post be deleted for spoilers. Thanks man i haven't seen the movie yet

+1

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:

Where exactly did you hear room energizing bass??I saw it 2 days ago,and the LFE was mediocre..only towards the end when
,there was some bass,but nothing spectacular.I think the expression room energizing bass applies much better to green lantern..
Gee thanks....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw this movie and I really enjoy the 3D effect (or lack there of) of it. I like the fact that the 3D is not over done as in in-your-face. Things pop out of the screen when they must but most of the time, the 3D was used to show depth.

I don't like things jumping out of the screen in an unrealistic way. It's cool to show off the 3D effect but it gets old after a while.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:

Where exactly did you hear room energizing bass??I saw it 2 days ago,and the LFE was mediocre..only towards the end when ********,there was some bass,but nothing spectacular.I think the expression room energizing bass applies much better to green lantern..

So, you see a movie before it's released to retailers, then deride the review, and give away a plot point? I'd hate to see what your other 10 posts are since you've become a member.

Ralph, your 3D video, and audio, scores echo the other reviews I've seen for this BD. Good to know!

Art

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Penelope Cruz doesn't add nor take anything away from the film"

Disagreed Ralph, she adds a rather impressive chest to be treasured and a gorgious pirate booty!

I'm just surprised her chest didn't warrant an ARRRH rating!

Sorry, had to be done!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I also wish the missing two characters from the previous movies would of been in this one also, oh well. But I did see this one at the IMAX theater in 3D and I was totally immersed into this movie. It really was a roller coaster ride with the sound and 3D effects. I do not expect the same from my HT but I plan on buying the entire POC collection in the treasure chest box from Amazon when it comes out in BR this month...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Very, very bad movie. Where did all that 200.000.000$ did go, there is not any epic special effects. Lame and boring as hell, well the mermaids where kinda cool and cute, but thats it. Rent if you have to see this. Thank god it was free to me.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Who cares about the movie--I'm in it for the 3D

BB has a $5 off coupon you print out off the computer. Then 3D edition pretty cheap.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts