AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I've been a lurker on and off here for quite some time. Now, I am just starting the planning process to become a junkie too.

This thread is to get feedback on my initial ideas (below) and to ask - nay beg - for suggestions on what to do. To get it, I'll even promise to start a build thread when I get to that part.

The background:

I've just moved into my forever home. Plenty of space, and I was able to incorporate a dedicated room for a theater. The space seems to be fairly average at 14'3"x20'. There is plenty of height - with a 9' ceiling except on one side where an HVAC chase runs (flexible ducting already in place - and the rooms serviced by that are not a problem if I have some sound leakage)

The plan is to put the electronics in a 3'-4' space behind the screen that also has movie storage, etc. Beyond that, this is going to be a themed Pirates of the Caribbean space. We have some collectibles related to both the Disney movie and rides that we want to display in the theater.

There will be a bar put in outside - I'm trying to figure out if I can get a sink in there or not - that is the biggest thing so far that I found I missed in this home build.

My initial thought was to do the main part of the room themed after a pirate ship - have a pseudo mast and sails towards the back of the room with a 'crows nest' to hide the PJ. In front of the sails will be two rows of seating with a riser for the second row.

One side would be several port-side 'shops' with just display windows full of collectibles. The opposite side would be treasure caves. This side theming would be 12-18" deep. Above everything would be a starfield.

Now, the problem:

My wife is concerned that having the sides half and half like that will not tie together in a cohesive theme. I haven't found any other theaters that do anything like that, but I am hoping that is just because I am bad at searching.

Any suggestions on how to get this idea so it looks like a single well-designed theater instead of a half and half frankenstein?

Thoughts on alternative designs that would also be clear tie-ins to the movie and rides?

I know there are plenty of things to be hidden in this design to get the acoustics right. And I haven't started to pick out equipment (I figure by the time I am there the best choices will have changed). But I am looking forward to the input from the experienced members here so that I can get it looking and sounding great the first time.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The idea for the port-side shops is that the display windows will give a good excuse for specific lighting to match the collectibles, and they will allow us to put the collectibles behind glass where small hands cannot touch them and the amount of dust to deal with can be minimized.

I do have other thoughts for details, but I do need to get the first point resolved - the plan must be approve by SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed - not any other acronyms your mind wants to come up with!)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
This sounds like a fun project. I really like the themed theaters here. Obviously I am building my own. I don't have a lot of ideas, but it seems you could mount the screen to look like a mast using grommets and o rings. You would have to put a couple big posts up and probably have a false wall. This will also give you the ability to hide your speakers behind a AT screen. Just throwing out ideas.

I have also seen another member here with a Capt Jack Ticket window. You might try and search for that one to gice you some more ideas. I have seen the resin Jack Sparrow bust on Ebay if you are interested.

EDIT: WOW!! That Pirate Cove theater is amazing. Pretty cool what a great artist and some great ideas can do for a room.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think I agree with your wife on that half and half idea. If done properly, I think turning a sail into a projector screen and make it feel like you are on a pirate ship would be a pretty cool effect. Then scatter collectables appropriately.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I hate Johnny Depp.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How about the side of a pirate ship on one wall complete with canons.

The other wall could be a dock with shops...kinda of what you see on the pirates of the caribbean ride at disney.

Or, you can make it the captains quarters inside a pirate ship.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm. I actually hadn't thought of the sail as the screen. I was actually thinking about it in back providing an AT covering for the rear speakers. That is exactly why I wanted to start this thread. That idea is a great one.

I had an image in my mind and I was afraid it was blocking me from seeing other options. That is one I hadn't thought of.

The Pirate Cove theater is a nice one. I like a number of ideas from that - and will not be surprised if I plunder some of those ideas.

I can't say that I hate Mr. Depp. However, that said, this build is not going to become an homage to him - or to Captain Jack Sparrow. He is a recent addition to the PotC history, and to pirate lore overall. I am personally much more interested in the sense of mystery, the unknown and even the glamour of our romanticized view of pirates.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kcr - I was typing up my response, so I didn't see yours initially. I think your idea will gain some traction here. I read your response and the immediate response from the peanut gallery was 'good idea'.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm enjoying this a lot.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with your wife about the half-and-half thing. I'm afraid it would end up being a little confusing. Nothing messes up an immersive experience like having guests spend the first 15 seconds scratching their heads trying to figure out how the pieces fit together. Plus, it's hard enough to pull off one themed space -- you're essentially talking about two themes.

I really like Big's idea of theming the theater as the captain's quarters in a pirate ship. That would be cool and very original.

It would also be cool to take the setting from the part of the ride where you're floating through the catacombs under the city -- brick arches, wooden beams, glowing embers, etc..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do like the options suggested.

So far, excluding the half and half, the themes seem to be (in order of my personal preference):

1. Dockside - pirate ship with cannons pointed at seaside city shops

2. Captain's quarters

3. Catacombs

4. Top deck of the ship

For all but the first option, I'll need to do some thinking to figure out the collectibles display part - since there is a requirement to have many of them behind glass to protect them.

The Captain's quarters, I can see having some shelves/cabinets. I'm just having trouble picturing any that are big enough for the collectibles and don't look oversized/out of place. But a lot of other details suggest themselves fairly naturally (lights, floor and wall appearance, etc.)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Instead of traditional theater seats you could have rowing machines installed. Then power your projector off the amps generated by the rowing machines.

Okay, bad idea...

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
I'll need to do some thinking to figure out the collectibles display part - since there is a requirement to have many of them behind glass to protect them.

It might help if we knew what kind of collectibles you're talking about.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
We did POTC as our outdoor halloween theme this year....

If interested PM me, and I'll see if I can dig up some products for you.

We had couple a different large Pirate ships, one inflatible and one cardboard. We made mats and sails our of painted PVC and some inexpensive material for the sails.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK. After thinking about those options some more, our favorite is turning out to be a variation on the Captain's quarters. We are thinking of just doing 'belowdecks'

A few square 'windows' in the sides that are propped open slightly offer a chance to do atmosphere lighting (water reflections/sunlight if I can figure out how to simulate those). It also gives me an excuse to buy (or make) a couple of cannons.

With this idea, the collectible display can be built into storage lockers between the 'windows'. Splitting the lockers into top and bottom compartments can help in displaying different size objects.

If I choose to have a mast anchoring in the back, it provides a logical place to mount the PJ (if the screen distance is right)

Of course, it raises some concerns for me.

My primary concern is audio quality. Belowdecks means wood all around. What does that mean for sound quality? I am planning on slightly curving the sides to more accurately simulate a ship. The will give me an opportunity to put acoustic panels and insulation where it will help behind the wood. I am concerned that may not be enough. I don't know enough yet to understand if the concern is valid.

I will have a false wall in front with enough room to put traps behind. There is also a though to putting some 'sail cloth' hanging up as if drying in the back. Other items along the sides will help break it up so it isn't flat, blank, solid walls.

Any thoughts? Should I be in a panic (even if I do have my towel?)

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,412 Posts
You can buy wood grain fabric, Wrap it around strips of rigid insulation and you have acoustic panels that look like the wood timbers of a ship.

Just the first one I found:

some more:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=woodgrain+fabric

I like this one:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts