AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never saw it. Rented it because there was nothing else in and loved it. Great B movie and outstanding DVD. Check it out.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
so true!

the opening sequence is absolute reference ( in DTS of course :D , but seriously, the DTS is way beyond the DD here, ultra large fronts, deep tight bass, blasting power ). the transfer is pristine, capturing the particular photography. Diesel rules ! Riddick will be back in 2003 (THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK or a sequel ).

it's a buy dvd for me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I rounded up a bunch of friends to go see this in the theatre when it first opened. I really enjoyed the film, but everyone else made fun of me for liking it.

I know there's quite a few implausibilities, especially the opening crash sequence...but so what! Besides, this film has Claudia Black in it!

I know I'm going to get heckled all over again if I bring this home, but I would like to see it again.

David,

I'll have to look around for the DTS version.

Keep those positive comments coming...just a few more and this one will be in the collection before you know it.

H

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Herman
I recently bought this one too. Good movie and reference quality audio and video.
Absolutely one of the best reference DVDs for PQ and SQ. Almost no EE at all. No artifacting, mosquito noise, dead on colors, and blacks to die for (literality in the film). If Universal would make all there transfers with this quality everyone would be asking why Sony needs a Superbit?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Howie
...I'll have to look around for the DTS version...
There are no versions of Pitch Black. It contains both DTS and DD 5.1EX.;)

It is also a fantastic A list B movie :D with one of the best crash sequences ever put to film.

I stand corrected. :eek: There is an R-rated and non-rated version. However both contain the same content mines a few seconds of edit on the R version.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
William: true, both uncut and cut versions have dd and dts. I have the uncut version, which features a few more seconds of one scene ( dialogues in fact ), which helps a bit to clarify things I remember.

Howie: buy it!!!!!!!!!! :)

One or two nigh scenes ( without those cool looking fluorescent gizmos :) ) look too dark, a bit blocked up. other than that, it recaptures superbly that particular look of the film.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THE ARRIVAL was a cool B flick with a better script. But the style of Pitch Black was better. Twohy has improved as a director.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I would love to see an anamorphic SE of The Arrival. It was a very good sci-fi thriller. I haven't bought the current DVD, since it isn't anamorphic (I try to avoid non-anamorphic transfers of widescreen films).

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Hi,

Saw this thread so I re-watched the DVD last night on my Panny AE100. Wonderful movie and may become a classic someday. Reference quality picture and sound. Besides pitch black, the AE100 handles every scene beautifully! :)

For those followed my hometheater history, the pitch black in Pitch Black is gone with my CRT projector. Now it's a long journey again toward pitch black with a digital projector...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi Li ! :)

how where the blacks indeed ? during that scene when they are first attacked, when the two (or 3 ? :D ) suns vanish, the picture gets really black. too much I think, undefined. the rest of the night scenes were superb, thanks to the use of those fluorescent gizmos.

cheers

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Hi David,

Pitch Black on the AE100 looked wonderful! Way better than I expected. And I forgot the DVD has a great transfer!

The bright scenes in the opening looked as great as my old CRT projector if not better. The picture kept it's quality in all dark scene as long as there is "something" on screen. ONLY the pitch black scene lost it's magic compared to the CRT projection picture. I guess the AE100 dark gray pitch black should look at least not worse than a real film theater.

Overall, it still is a wonderful picture! And a great movie! :)

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hey ! :)

I love this movie too.

yeap, dark scenes in theaters aren't either reference, I more and more notice how poor sometimes blacks are with an argentic print. Only with a Panavision shot movie on a "small" screen ( say 40ft wide ) do my jaws still drop :)

i was disgusted by the blacks quality ( euh, dark grey...) with LORD OF THE RINGS ( super 35 ) on a wide 20meters screen

cheers

David

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
This movie came out around the same time as Red Planet, which I thought was so superior that I didn't bother with buying Pitch Black.

However a few months later I was needing to feed my Sci-Fi/ Horror addiction and went and bought it.

Much to my surprise I found it quite enjoyable after a second viewing.

It's certainly no Aliens, but it is worth having, and is something I'll watch every couple of years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.