AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just want to say I am amazed at all of your home theatre projects on here. Absolutely amazing. I wish I had the space and the money that a lot of you seem to have.

I'll set up where im at, I am happy with my setup as far as sound goes, I have a pioneer elite 1016 receiver, JM labs Speakers all around and a decent sub. I have a 360, wii and PS3 that will have to be incorporated as well as a 62" Toshiba DLP TV. The TV will be used for now until I can afford a projector but I plan to wire everything to be ready.

The attached is my existing Autocad plan of my basement (previously developed) that I want to convert part of into a dedicated theatre room. I have also included some pics as well as what I plan to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated keeping in mind I really dont have a budget for this(hahah). Sorry the second picture is rotated.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The door is really up to me where i put it. I have to build that wall anyways. There is a window on the back wall as well.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the new wall I have to build between the family room and the theatre? Should that be staggered as well?

More suggestions from anyone??

Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its actually AutoCad 2007. Just a quick 5 minute sketch. Thats what I do for a living. If anyone on here needs Autocad drawings done, Im your guy. Been doing it for 12 Years now.

Ryan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a question everyone. I have two existing walls that are already drywalled, etc. Should I remove those and start from scratch? Im trying to save a bit of cash I was just going to add another layer of drwall to it. They are on the existing basement walls, insulated and set a little away from the concrete?

THanks

Ryan

·
Registered
995 Posts
Looking good Ryan. Take a look at the first 20 or so pages of Bud's (chinadog's) Thread. His room design is very similar to yours.

Bud's Thread

While considering your layout, determine where the equipment is going to be placed too. Maybe in a rack under the steps coming down into the basement?

If the drywall is screwed into place then I would take it down personally. This will allow for easier access to work with wiring and you can put it back up when you are done. If it is nailed in and finished and the ceiling is not drywalled, you may be able to fish wires down the wall without too much hassle.

I will be following your progress.

Jason

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YEah the two walls are fully finished but they are an inch or so away from the concrete so fishing stuff should be ok. I have 2 receptacles on that wall that will have to be extended out to reach the new drywall and fabric but i think thats ok.

Thanks for all the help Jason.

Ryan

·
Registered
995 Posts
There is a gang box extender made by Carlon that you can use for the existing receptacles.

box extenders

For all new electrical outlets and lights, look into these:

Sample Adjustable Gang Box . They come in single up to quad and they also make the round version for sconces. Lowes was the only place I could find images but Home Depot also sells them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after lurking around for the past year, I started my home theatre last night. Well I started demolishing my basement. I will post pics from my adventure when I get home from work this evening.

Thanks for everyones help, and I would appreciate anyones comments as I go through this process

Thanks

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.