AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 5140 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ummm...if they own a piece of itwhy not just broadcast the local version of the weather channel like one sees on cable in place of Weather Plus. Seems pretty simple to me.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser /forum/post/14827272

Ummm...if they own a piece of it why not just broadcast the local version of the weather channel like one sees on cable in place of Weather Plus. Seems pretty simple to me.

The existing carriage contracts with the cable companies for TWC likely preclude an OTA version.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow /forum/post/14825412

I imagine at some point WPXI's Dave will express some sense of where they're looking to go. Dave?

You talkin' to me?

I'm just a lowly engineering geek. What makes you think I know anything ?!?!?

Dave Morrison

WPXI Engineering

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak /forum/post/14830349

The existing carriage contracts with the cable companies for TWC likely preclude an OTA version.

Not to mention that most systems also have WeatherScan.

I could see the Weather Plus channels move towards a more localized service such as more updates, live radar, current conditions, etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oh well...the local ABC affiliate has a weather subchannel...so maybe its time WPXI did something different. What about a movie channel? NBC shows movies in primetime from time to time, why not throw them on a channel?

Or a channel that re-airs NBC's primetime lineup 24/7? Or NBC's primetime linup from X number of years ago. reruns of seinfeld, cheers, frasier, quantum leap, etc. I know its kind of like RTN, but I wouldnt think there would be as many rights/contract issues since they were NBC shows.

Then again...I didnt know about the Weather Channel contract thing so.....

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser /forum/post/14833872

Or a channel that re-airs NBC's primetime lineup 24/7? Or NBC's primetime linup from X number of years ago. reruns of seinfeld, cheers, frasier, quantum leap, etc. I know its kind of like RTN, but I wouldnt think there would be as many rights/contract issues since they were NBC shows.

My guess is that the rights/contracts issues would be much greater than for RTN. NBC Universal could probably put something together or the stations could (but I hope they don't) put on Universal Sports like the NBC O&O stations. If it isn't good the bandwidth would be more useful for the HD signal.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison /forum/post/14831713

You talkin' to me?

Dave Morrison

WPXI Engineering

Keep it simple Dave.

Like I asked for years ago but never got, how about putting your Doppler radar on 11-2? And I mean NOTHING but the radar---no forecasts, no people, no advertisements!!!

Or maybe move RTN to 11-2 (and give it a little more bandwidth, it's too pixelated), then put the radar on 11-3 (which wouldn't need very much bandwidth).

If you're going to do so, have it loop the last 3 hours so you can see the direction and movement of potential storms.

Your weather radar product that you show during the newscasts seems to be better than anything I've found on the internet.

Is that a useful thought?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison /forum/post/14831713

You talkin' to me?

Dave Morrison

WPXI Engineering

Dave? We look up to you. Geez. Don't hurt us like that. It's like finding out the Wizard of Oz was as impressive as Rick Moranis.

In more seriousness, I figure at some point someone has to figure out what happens to the subchannel. Obviously NBC's gotta take the first step and tell you guys what's happening to the feed. From there I guess it is Cox's decision, right?

If you hear any rumblings that you are at liberty to share, they'd be much appreciated by all.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser /forum/post/14833872

Oh well...the local ABC affiliate has a weather subchannel...so maybe its time WPXI did something different. What about a movie channel? NBC shows movies in primetime from time to time, why not throw them on a channel?

Then again...I didnt know about the Weather Channel contract thing so.....

I would imagine that since Cox's (the owners) stations are all fairly uniform, the decision will come down to what they decide after NBC makes a final decision about WX+ and the decision will be mirrored at WPXI, WJAC and WTOV.

I was just reading that WTOV's 9.3 channel already is a live local radar. Hmmm... Maybe I should put up a good VHF antenna for the transition.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow /forum/post/14843825

I was just reading that WTOV's 9.3 channel already is a live local radar. Hmmm... Maybe I should put up a good VHF antenna for the transition.

Because WTOV has the weather radar rather than RTN that actually suggests that the local stations make the decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone been having any trouble with the WPXI & WQED? (Incl .1 .2 and .3 of each) Everything will be fine for 5,10,15,30 minutes and then just randomly the signal will start to wildly fluctuate. (Sometime even complete cut-out.) Any ideas?

I have a zenith dtt901 and DB2 in zip code 15317.

(Signal strength on the above channels is at the top of the green part of the signal meter. (What ever happening to db readings?))

Just FYI...I receive the following channels with no problem. (All of the signals for the channels below do not change very much.)

Thanks in advance,

Jared

·
Registered
50 Posts
No, I've been pretty stable on most channels lately.

Does it stay that way even after turning the tv off & on? Or does that correct it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
jared, I've had the same problems, and in fact last night/early this morning the digital braodcast of WPXI went away completely. I was showing 0% reception. Someone here stated its a seasonal effect that happens around this time of year.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser /forum/post/14846156

jared, I've had the same problems, and in fact last night/early this morning the digital braodcast of WPXI went away completely. I was showing 0% reception. Someone here stated its a seasonal effect that happens around this time of year.

The dropouts aren't quite the actual seasonal effect. It is more the case that good reception during summer months is a seasonal effect.

With cooler days and less condensation in the fall, there are fewer clouds to provide a mirror for signals to reflect off. The net effect is that when fall arrives, signals that were marginally good enough become marginally too bad.

Unless you've had your antenna up for more than a year, it is hard to be sure what your baseline signal levels actually are.

This time of year is actually a very good time to get a good approximation.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

This is the tropospheric forecast. Tropo effect is the most common source of medium-distance signal boosts.

Wait for a day like this coming Wed, when the forecast is very unfavorable. Then, in the afternoon, check your signals.

If you get really lucky, and it is a dry, clear, cool afternoon with no tropo, you're likely looking at your baselines signal levels. These signals represent what you can pretty much expect to receive all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Meow: Thanks for the info, I will check it on Wednesday.

nwiser: Thanks for the confirmation.

z-vap: Yes, no matter what I do the signal will fluctuate or disappear. (Switching channels, power cycle the box, etc doesn't change anything.)

Talk soon,

Jared

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanko /forum/post/14845765

Has anyone been having any trouble with the WPXI & WQED? (Incl .1 .2 and .3 of each)

I haven't had any problems with WPXI, but I can't speak for WQED since it only comes in here from time to time.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 /forum/post/14818395

I'll say.

Sheesh, I'm only 20-25 miles from their transmitter and can only get the signal meter on an Insignia box to bounce near the threshold for a viewable picture. Apparently my problem is I live too close to 6's transmitter

You're probably a victim of their directional antenna. If you're too close to anything it should be WWCP (8.1, 8.2) up on that mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 /forum/post/14850140

I haven't had any problems with WPXI, but I can't speak for WQED since it only comes in here from time to time.

WQED doesn't have enough antenna height to get to your area consistently.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer /forum/post/14851600

You're probably a victim of their directional antenna. If you're too close to anything it should be WWCP (8.1, 8.2) up on that mountain.

Yes, that directional antenna is killing reception. I just thought it was odd that nwiser got WJAC-DT in Brentwood which is much farther than me. That signal must be whipping around past me like a rip current.

WJAC's tower is only a couple more miles from me than 8's, but as I've said before, WWCP is so close it will come in on the back of my antenna and it is the only one I can pick up with my WinTV USB stick's whip antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer /forum/post/14851600

WQED doesn't have enough antenna height to get to your area consistently.

It also doesn't help it is running below 1,000 kW.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm starting to get upset...for the second night in the past week, WPXI's digital signal has dropped out completely. It's not a weak/multipath fluctuating signal, it's no signal at all. It looks like it started around 12:30AM and its now about 2:45AM. For the past two days or so it also hasnt had the program guide data, though I dont know that its related.

I tried calling WPXI but at 1 in the morning it just goes to voicemail for people and leaving a message does no good. I cant believe theres no one there, but I wasnt given an option to speak with anyone live. If the digital transmitter did indeed shut off, I cant believe no one would notice. Do they put the station on a sort of auto-pilot or something until the morning news?

·
Registered
17,503 Posts
Are you sure it's not another distant signal interfering with WPXI? Down here in Virginia, I had some amazing DX around that timeframe, and I know RadSurfer was DXing around 11PM up in Erie.

- Trip

3261 - 3280 of 5140 Posts