AVS Forum banner

5121 - 5125 of 5125 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
ViQueen33 - if DirecTV put up the antenna, does it look anything like this? >>>

That antenna is primarily designed for UHF frequencies and I have a hard time imagining that DirecTV would put up an antenna that would address signals for VHF 2-13. Any antenna mounted outside will collect more signal than something inside the house. As mentioned before, WQED uses RF 4 for it's broadcast frequency, WPCW uses RF 11. So you really need something designed to receive the low and high VHF channels.

A modest antenna like this would do a better job of receiving both VHF & UHF signals-

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Long time no post. Hope everyone's well. I'm looking to put up a rooftop antenna in Squirrel Hill and honestly don't even know where to begin looking for a competent professional installer. Can anyone recommend an installer in the region or a good resource to find one?

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but I genuinely don't even know where to start looking.

Looking at a small-to-medium-sized directional or limited multdirectional antenna, needs to be grounded, with cable to probably 2 outlets through a very old house. I really am hoping to find someone who knows what they're doing, and I am fine with that costing more than a random handyman.

On that note, any antenna recommendations would be welcome, too. I'm pretty high up (if you know the neighborhood, I'm near where Negley crests headed north toward Shadyside. I need UHF, VHF (assuming reasonable possible) FM and/or AM. Per Antennaweb, obviously almost all of the stations are due W/NW from me but I am sensitive to the possiblities that many subchannels could hop around between antennas for years with ATSC 3.0 implementation. Anyone who can do this right will probably get first dibs at installing an outside cell antenna once I figure out what on earth I need there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long time no post. Hope everyone's well. I'm looking to put up a rooftop antenna in Squirrel Hill and honestly don't even know where to begin looking for a competent professional installer. Can anyone recommend an installer in the region or a good resource to find one?

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but I genuinely don't even know where to start looking.

Looking at a small-to-medium-sized directional or limited multdirectional antenna, needs to be grounded, with cable to probably 2 outlets through a very old house. I really am hoping to find someone who knows what they're doing, and I am fine with that costing more than a random handyman.

On that note, any antenna recommendations would be welcome, too. I'm pretty high up (if you know the neighborhood, I'm near where Negley crests headed north toward Shadyside. I need UHF, VHF (assuming reasonable possible) FM and/or AM. Per Antennaweb, obviously almost all of the stations are due W/NW from me but I am sensitive to the possiblities that many subchannels could hop around between antennas for years with ATSC 3.0 implementation. Anyone who can do this right will probably get first dibs at installing an outside cell antenna once I figure out what on earth I need there.

Thanks in advance for any input.
This guy seems to provide some pretty good advice:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AntennaMan

·
Registered
428 Posts
Any antenna recommendations would be welcome, too.
Go to www.RabbitEars.info and use the "Signal Search Map" tool so those of us not familiar with your area can see what TV signals you could receive. Just remember to put in the correct height AGL you plan to put your antenna. After posting the results here, we will be able to judge how sensitive an antenna you'll need.

5121 - 5125 of 5125 Posts