AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what AFFORDABLE (say.. under 5k) RPTV/FP are able to display a windows desktop that is actually readable?

i own a samsung hcl473w RPTV, i recently bought the ATI adapter because i wanted to play games on it.

(and watch high def content if windows media 9 ever takes off). while it looks nice.. it's certanly nowhere near as good as my direct view CRT monitor, not even close...

i mean, i had a hard time finding more detail in 1080i than in 480p =( text looks washed out in intercaled 1080i (this of course, is expected) but it's not so great either in 480p, in specially on some parts of the screen where it just looks blurry =(

anyway, im wondering how accurate 720p DLP RPTV and front projectors are for actually displaying the pixels they claim they do (with out washing out in corners etc, wich in my opinion makes having so many pixels irrelevant..), with my RPTV i'm very disapoionted, does the image quality of those DLP is actually comparable to a direct view CRT when it comes to pixel sharpness?

anyone who has an HD gaming system please reply =), i'm very intrested in knowing if displaying a pixel perfect 1280x720 (at least!) is actually possible =)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Use 1920x540p instead of 1080i.

Check out karnis' sticky thread at the top of the HTPC section of this forum.

Interlaced resolutions are great for movies, but not for PC desktop/readable text.

I have seen text/Windows on a sammy 720p RP DLP, and it looks great.

As for accuracy, remember that there's a difference between Digital(DLP) and analog (CRT)d displays. Analog displays have a sweet spot that varies with the tube size whereas with digital, if the chip(s) is said to be 1280x720 or 1365x1024 then that's exactly what you would get.

Also, there are setup issues, such as convergence, that may affect the perceived performance of CRT based display.

As an aside. digitals are also progresive by nature.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
On my Sammy DLP, I can see windows desktop pixel perfect. If I display a 1x1 checkerboard pattern on the whole screen, I can see every single pixel perfectly. Set the display card to 1280x720, use a DVI or VGA connection, and use TV-wide mode on the TV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.