AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is pixel perfect? And how do I do it with powerstip? Also, how do I know when it is done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
The phrase usually means getting a fixed-pixel (non-CRT-based) video display to display exactly every pixel in a video input signal, just as we are accustomed to seeing on a properly setup computer display.


The approach is usually to prepare a video signal so that it matches

the display's native image format so closely, that the display doesn't scale the signal but rather passes it "native" and unscaled to the display hardware. The goal being to get a pixel-for-pixel accurate image from the input signal without artifacts, degradation, pixel cropping or other scaling side effects.


The phrase "pixel perfection" really suggests doing all of this in the analog domain; when you connect source and display digitally you may expect to get pixel-level accuracy essentially for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Den
The phrase usually means getting a fixed-pixel (non-CRT-based) video display to display exactly every pixel in a video input signal, just as we are accustomed to seeing on a properly setup computer display.


The approach is usually to prepare a video signal so that it matches

the display's native image format so closely, that the display doesn't scale the signal but rather passes it "native" and unscaled to the display hardware. The goal being to get a pixel-for-pixel accurate image from the input signal without artifacts, degradation, pixel cropping or other scaling side effects.


The phrase "pixel perfection" really suggests doing all of this in the analog domain; when you connect source and display digitally you may expect to get pixel-level accuracy essentially for free.
So to get "pixel perfection" on an NEC Vt45 (native 800x600) I would set powerstip to 800x600. But when I watch a dvd wont it have to scale to meet the resolution of dvd?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,525 Posts
The resolution of the mastering of the source material doesn't matter (DVD/HDTV/other NTSC/etc.).


It's just matching the resolution of the display device that gets you to "pixel perfection".


The easiest way to think about it...


"It's getting DVI (digital) quality from a VGA (analog) port"


In fact, it can be very hard to tell a pixel perfect VGA connection from a DVI one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Quote:
So to get "pixel perfection" on an NEC Vt45 (native 800x600) I would set powerstip to 800x600.
Right, assuming the NEC will bypass its internal scaler when fed that EGA format.

Quote:
But when I watch a dvd wont it have to scale to meet the resolution of dvd?
Yes, some hardware or software (other than your display in this case) would need to scale the DVD signal to 800x600. If it's an NTSC DVD for example, that means scaling 720x480 to 800x600. But now we are no longer talking about pixel perfection, because we are no longer trying to display the DVD's 720x480 array as is, we have scaled it after all, just not using the NEC scaler. The question is then, which scaler looks better, crops less of the picture, etc. with all other picture parameters made the same (if possible)?


So as you can see, pixel perfection is more for when you're source material is already in the native format of your display; or, when you have a superb outboard scaling solution to get to that native rate.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top