AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All---

After asking enough questions, it's probably best to start my build thread. (thnx for suggestion Moggie) It is nothing over the top by any means compared to what all you guys have accomplished. Some really good HT's. Congrats to you guys---

My goal. Huge picture. Clean, nice sound, good bass. Comfortable for family.

85% of time movies. 15% sports/tv.

Im working in a space that is the lower level of my home (it's a walk out lower level rather than a basement.) The is basically underground so lighting isn't an issue. I wont be doing soundproofing either. We live on 3 acres and the room above is a spare room.

The space is 14.5x22x8 with an 8x10 adjacent storage closet right outside the theatre for equipment.

I started the framing 2 weeks and insulated the following week. We finished the lighting tonight. (We are also finishing out the rest of the 1400 sq/ft basement at the same time.) HVAC guy comes Thursday to add last 2 vents and returns in HT. I was going to wait and build the HT out later, but after reading countless posts here, i changed my mind so back come HVAC guy.

All cables ran to closet. 3 dedicated 20 amps in closet. 2 dedicated 20s on stage wall, 1 20 amp to riser. Ran an HMDI, 2 cat 6, a component, and wired the projector plug power bridge style. Wired for 7.2.

Lighting: 6 6 inch cans, 4 4 inch cans up froint for stage. 2 step lights.

The plan is to build a stage similar to the ever poplar Sunset Cinema stage.

I've allowed 30" for the false wall to come out for speakers behind. Is that too much? Also plan to build a 130-140" AT Seymour screen, 2.35 of course. Wrap it in black velvet and let it do its floating thing.

Seating, Id like to do 4 and 4 but not sure I have the space up front. My plan says I do, with 27 inch isles. Will do a riser. Wired for buttkickers, cat 6, outlets and step lights.

Electronics, as of now nothing bought, but the Pany 4000 -(14' throw) - (the 7000 may be too costly for me right now so maybe they will wheel and deal on the 4000) to do the poor man 2:35. Onkyo 809 receiver, and the speakers - no idea. For a sub I do like the from what I've read about the Elemental Designs. But will be asking many questions on that too in the future. No one here in Tallahassee sells HT products except Best Buy. So whatever I get will be on your all's recommendations.

Here is all I have so far, nothing earth shaking (or butt shaking) but hopefully as I progress it will get more interesting. Blue tape per code- Not bad for 14 days of work. Its the other 1400 sq feet that has kicked my butt the last 8 months. Good news is, the entire lower is ready for rock. I will sub that out. At $20 a sheet labor and finishing, no way I'm hanging it.

The name-- I'm a web developer, web designer/graphic designer... :

Thanks

CM

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Hello and welcome to this madness we call HT. Looks like you have got a great space to work with, basically a blank slate which is really good. On your lighting, I think the 4, 4 inch cans up front for the stage is good, but 6, 6 inch cans for the rest of the space will not be enough in my opinion. I have basically a 13.5X20 space with 8, 6 inch cans and four sconces. If you still can I would add at least two or maybe even four more six inch cans to your plan. You can always dim the lights if it is too bright, much harder to add lights at a later time.

Other than that it appears you have it pretty well covered and have made some really good progress to this point. You get extra bonus points for the blue tape screen so early in the build.

Keep it up, and the pics coming.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filetandrelease /forum/post/20800830

I wont be doing soundproofing either. We live on 3 acres and the room above is a spare room.

You may not be there yet but there will be a stage in your marriage when you will want to be watching the opening of Saving Private Ryan when the misses is in the 2nd story bedroom. She will hear it and come down and politely ask you to turn it down. Either that or she will take a shotgun to the breaker panel.

·
Registered
658 Posts
+1.

Much easier to do a little sound proofing now, than try to reverse engineer it later.

I have a very similar setup with the HT is the basement under a spare room on the extreme end of the house. Never had a problem with wife or sleeping son hearing anything, until I had family staying with us in that room. Even though there is some insulation, I was hesitant to turn anything up while they were in the room.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie /forum/post/20800844

Glad I gave you a kick!

What are you doing for sound isolation?

Not much, one reason is dollars. I wasn't going to do the HT at this time, but made the call to do so. I would have like to gone all out - but given we are also finishing an additional 1400 sq. feet the dollars just aren't there. (AN dI couldn't wait for a HT- so here we are)

·
Registered
733 Posts
You could do clips/hat channel and double drywall/GG without too much added expense (talk to Ted White). It appears you have enough headroom for it (and you can even use blocking to inset your clips a bit and save another 1" of headroom (Ted has examples)).

I would encourage you to really consider it, because it is basically now or never. You would want to build some simple backer boxes for your recessed lights as well (again, Ted has examples).

While there will still be flanking paths (HVAC), I suspect you would significantly reduce the sound bleeding out (and just as importantly, bleeding in).

My soundrpoofing isn't perfect, but it allows me to really enjoy the room (especially late at night) without disturbing anyone in the house.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filetandrelease /forum/post/20800830

Ahh the obligatory blue tape screen. What build is complete without one?!

I love the name! I'm probably gonna start using that to describing anyone i know that works in web/graphic design.

If you can swing any sort of sound isolation, i would really consider it, even if it sets your build finish date back. There really isnt any worse feeling that sitting there watching a movie at what you consider a "reasonable" volume and having someone come in and ask you to turn it down. My wife and I have very different expectations as far as what a reasonable level is.

I like a whisper below reference...she just likes whispers....

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Where is your equipment rack going? Sorry if you said and I missed it...

Also, you may consider doing something other than 2.35 for your scope screen...if you've got the width, you may want to go a touch wider, it seems like everything i watch in scope ends up being 2.39 or 2.4.....And to me, for anything less than 2.4 i dont miss the little bit overscan on the sides, but i hate little black slivers at the bottom and top.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To the top right of the stage on the other side of the wall - there is a 8x10 storage closet. Accessible from the hallway leading to the HT.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filetandrelease /forum/post/20801745

To the top right of the stage on the other side of the wall - there is a 8x10 storage closet. Accessible from the hallway leading to the HT.

Ah, so no issue with distracting lights and such in your field of view.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Stage design looks good... Why the four down lights over the stage? To me this is the least important area to illuminate. Although it's nice to have some lights to reflect off the screen four seems like a lot. It might be nice to spread them out a little too.

One other comment is that I've found that spacing the rear speakers apart rather than having them together provides better surround for the (rare) 7.1 sources. Most receivers or pre/pro these days allow you to specify the rear speaker separation.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie /forum/post/20805085

Stage design looks good... Why the four down lights over the stage? To me this is the least important area to illuminate.

In Jestos theater (Bethesda build) the stage lights bouncing off the screen were the most important light source in the room, The soffit down lights were secondary and for sound containment purposes we avoided ceiling cans.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20805125

In Jestos theater (Bethesda build) the stage lights bouncing off the screen were the most important light source in the room, The soffit down lights were secondary and for sound containment purposes we avoided ceiling cans.

Fair enough. That certainly works!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20805125

Ok... you caught me, i copied that... should have named this the copy cat build! I also took a reply from Big in another thread to a poster- and placed the lights 12-15"s off the screen as he said he did with jestos--live the look they pulled off

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK... took Moggies advice -and ran my cables for rears just now with some 2x10's for backers... did them 26 inches off center of room so I have some flexibility..

Also got a raceway run from equipment room to over projector with pull strings and got boxes in for power and LV there as well... plus some other lower level punch list items ---

How beefy does the projector ceiling mount area need to be?? Some 2x4's or do some ply up there???

Tied in AC power few days ago to condenser, waiting on my AC buddy to come charge it -- then adjust dampers--- we did a digital damper in the HT on its own thermostat - so it should work out nice ----

Plumber came today today to get material list -- gonna rough in kitchen sink, bathroom sink and under-counter ice maker for wet bar, and outside shower Saturday- while I'm in Destin

Pushed dry wall bak 1 more week --- keep thikin' of things!!! ---- plus i can walk around and look ONE- MORE -TIME!!

So far we have 4000 ft of 12/2 in the lower level and who knows how much cat 6--- i suppose at some time we just say close it up.

Don't forget--

Filet and Release!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman /forum/post/20801696

Where is your equipment rack going? Sorry if you said and I missed it...

Also, you may consider doing something other than 2.35 for your scope screen...if you've got the width, you may want to go a touch wider, it seems like everything i watch in scope ends up being 2.39 or 2.4.....And to me, for anything less than 2.4 i dont miss the little bit overscan on the sides, but i hate little black slivers at the bottom and top.

agreed--- how big can i go ---

14 1/2 throw from a Panny 4000- PITCH BLACK ROOM??

I need some side masking for aesthetics - I think-- to quote.. me...

My goal. Huge picture.!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On projector--

Yea tough call- don't really care for the 3-D either, but heck, I may in the future--- but the brightness bump is something to think over- guess I will have to make that decision at some point. The good thing about this room - zero ambient light. So that should play into it some.

On lights--

Yep - all on dimmers. My drawing shows them overhead, but they actually are offset a foot or so now they are hung. I think when Im in there sitting they will be off 95% of the time.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts