AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a triple-gun CRT Hitachi set and I'm looking at snagging one of the DLP sets before they are all gone... One thing I've noticed on both the Samsung and Mitsubishi RP-DLP sets is that on fast screen transitions their is a slight pixelation look around the edges of objects on the screen. This is something I've noticed on LCD displays as well.

Is there a proper name for the effect? Is it less pronounced on the higher dollar sets? I've never seen this effect on my Hitachi so I assume it has to do with the DLP and LCD technology.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DLP and LCD are pixel based technology so, if you look close enough, you will see some picture elements. CRT uses electron beam so no pixels just lines.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what's the general conciseness on this? Do most people think Triple-gun CRT is lower quality because it 'mask' the pixelization? Or is this generally regarded as a good thing....

My first thought when I saw this was... my Hitachi doesn't do that, but then again the picture quality (crispness, resolution) looked better to my eyes on the LED-DLP display than on my set.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you have one of the Hitachi Hiscan (1080i scan capable) units with 9" guns I would wait a couple of more years before replacing with a digital technogogy unit so that when you go get a unit it will have many processing improvements and PQ to match your current unit.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have an Hitachi 57F600 (UltraVision series) it's 1080i capable as I watch HD in that resolution all the time. Does this count as "HiScan"

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Yes. However I would assume that if you watching a SD 480i program that you would get better PQ if displaying at 480i.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only time I believe I have seen this pixelation effect that your referring to is when I have a "noisy" picture. I consider it to be issues or video noise from the source. My mitsu dlp does has noise reduction settings (off, 1, 2, 3) which work pretty well in that situation but I prefer to leave it off as it tends to loose its crispness or focus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts