AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Pixonics is a 1.5-megabit enhancement stream on top of the base DVD stream.
? Huh ? I don't even like the sound of that....an enhancement!? I saw that it offers a proprietary encoding method that it states is better than competing formats but they keep emphasizing "an enhancement" throughout their site.

They don't allow you to zoom the pictures comparing the pHD process to

DVD and HD for close inspection.

It doesn't sound good to me, just a ploy (used lightly) to be the first to the table with a backwards compatible format with HD "like" capabilities. They never mention any comparable tech specs either (actual resolutions, etc)

Suspect if you ask me.

I want HD DVD, but I want it done right and with the highest possible quality available.

Troy

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont

? Huh ? I don't even like the sound of that....an enhancement!? I saw that it offers a proprietary encoding method that it states is better than competing formats but they keep emphasizing "an enhancement" throughout their site.
The term "enhancement" is used to distinguish the enhancement stream from the base stream. The enhancement stream contains high-frequency detail beyond what can be contained in the base stream. Perhaps "extension" would sound better than "enhancement".
Quote:
They don't allow you to zoom the pictures comparing the pHD process to DVD and HD for close inspection.
Although you cannot zoom the low-quality GIF images on the web page, you can zoom the higher-quality images on page 2 of the Technology Overview (PDF) , but they still don't have enough pixels to truly represent 1920x1080.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This is intriguing but my initial thought was: "Does this have a snowball's chance in hell of being adpoted?"

That remains my primary thought.

Mark

I gu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.