AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine the best resolutions for my FPJ (NEC LT155). Looking through the FAQs and previous postings, I've seen a number of different suggestions - some recommend the native resolution as the best i.e. - 1024x768, others recommend 1024x576 (for a 16:9 aspect ratio) while others recommend 1024x720 (720=1.5x480).

Same problem with refresh rates - should I run it at 60Hz (native) or 72Hz or 48 Hz (47.952 to be exact)? If I use 48 Hz should I use 3:2 pulldown?

Any help will be much appreciated. I realize the changes due to different settings will be minor but I'm not even sure what I should look for while I try out different settings since some issues like smooth panning etc. could be flaws in the DVD itself or the DVD player.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Native resolution is the best on a digital projector. Your projector is going to convert anything over to native resolution anyway, so best to feed it its native resolution of 1024x768 directly.

With analog projectors, its best to feed the projector a simple multiple of the native signals input source (to reduce interpolation artifacts). So, since a deinterlaced DVD signal is 480p, 720p (1.5x) or 960p (2x) is probably best.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thoughts on the refresh rates ? If I set it to 48 Hz will the projector scale it up to 60 Hz or will it use 48 Hz? And will I still need the 3:2 pull down?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I'm not sure about the NEC, but I beleive many digital projectors only use a 60Hz refresh rate internally. If so, you should feed the projector 60hz.

3:2 pulldown is a specific deinterlacing algorithm used for movies that are shot at 24 fps but displayed at 60 fps (one frame is repeated for 3 display cycles, then the next is displayed for 2, and so on). If you display it at 48fps, then you would use 2:2 pulldown. If you display at 72fps, then you would use 3:3 pulldown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.