AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I've done the side-by-side demo with the Pana AE300 & NEC HT1000. The NEC blew the Pana away in no uncertain terms. Some observations based upon the following:

Demo Room - viewed both in some ambinet light then nearly completely dark, viewing distance 3.6 metres /12 feet, used both plain wall and screen size from 80" to 120" diagonal, DVD (used both S-Vid & Component), SD (used both S-Vid & RGB) and HD (used both S-Vid & RGB) via Digitec 200A STB

AE300 - looks great for the price, contrast & brightness acceptable, minor screendoor depending on where sitting, some motion artifacts on quick movements, horizontal banding quite evident with all inputs, S-Vid & Component & RGB were acceptable BUT provided less clarity than the NEC running just S-Vid, black level looked slightly grey but was acceptable

HT1000 - fantastic picture all round, great contrast & brightness, couldn't pick any screendoor or rainbow, no horizontal banding evident, output from every connection input on the various sources was just so far ahead of the AE300 - even when using the AE300 with high inputs like Component & RGB it just couldn't match the HT1000, black level more 'blacker' than the AE300 but not quite black as we know it from tv (tyres, tarred roads are very good for comparison)

Once you actually are able to see units side-by-side displaying the same picture you can really do an honest comparison. On the strength of it the extra $3000 you paying will give you what you paid for - a much better overall product.

rainbow effect - they did connect up another NEC DLP and the rainbow effect was unbearable, moving your head from side-to-side & up-down really brought home this effect, how distracting it is and how it can give people headaches. I glad I had a chance to see it in person, because until you've experienced it you'll never know the effects on you personally. I really couln't put up with a unit that produced this effect on a daily basis. Did the same test on the HT1000 and didn't notice anything at all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already replied in your other post, it's like telephone tag - never get the person when you want them. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.