AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sharp PG-A10X projector with 44% of the rated 4500 hours of the lamp used. I would like to know if it's best to upgrade now (the Mitsubishi HD1000U seems to be quite good, it will probably be my next model but I haven't looked at the new models that much) or should I finish up the bulb first before selling it? How much can I expect mine to be worth with 44% of the bulb left? One sold new on ebay for half the price I paid for it, so I'd expect I'd get around $200-300, would that be about right? What would it be worth with no bulb (if I finish it before upgrading)? If I finish the bulb, am I better off buying a new bulb and selling it with the new bulb, would it increase the value more than the cost of the bulb?

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn't anyone have any recommendation?

Surely someone must have an idea whether I'm better off upgrading with 40%+ of the bulb left or waiting until it's dead and almost not worth anything?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think it wil be worth more now as it is then finishing it and having to buy a new lamp in order to sell it. although i am not aware of the bulbs price but i recon it wont be worth the trouble and make it harder to sell. Take into acount it will always be a old model.

that would be my reasoning when buying or selling a model like this.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ultimately it's your decision. How happy are you with the picture, how badly do you need to go to a higher resolution model (got new HD sources that you want to look awesome?) and how your cash flow is.

My personal philosophy is to sell sooner than later so things tend not to break on me because I turn them over quickly. Technology is on my side, things get faster cheaper. This hits you on the other side with sliding resale value, so you'll have to decide whether or not you've gotten your money's worth out of your current Sharp.

Maybe try to find a neighbor or family member or someone irl, you can often get more than on eBay (since no one has to pay shipping and they can see up close and personal how awesome front projection is) . I think a lot of newbies will see our huge screen and go 'I can have that for $300? OK!'

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not really that I want to upgrade, I;m very happy with my Sharp A10X, the reason I'm considering upgrading is because I don't want to wait until it's worth $50 before selling it.

Also the HD1000U seems to make a smaller screen from the same distance as the A10X, I beleive I calculated I'd have a 68" VS a 72" screen, but I would probably re design the room first so the screen would be 2' further to make an 84" 16:9 screen (the sharp from the same distance would make a 96" 4:3 screen).

Are there other PJs in the same price range that make a larger projection and have a long bulb life?

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
I cant imagine wanting to accept a smaller screen size ,that would be very hard for me. i would not really advise that but hey thats me.

I myself use a LCD and im no expert in the DLP models when it comes to wich PJ throws a larger screen.The bulbs these days seem to go between 2000 and 3000 hours in general.

I am throwing a 3 meter wide screen using a panasonic AE900 from a distance of 5.5 meters no problem.

Glenn

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said, I would re design the room to be able to have an 84" image vs the 72" I have now, so it would be an increase in size from what I have now, I was just saying if I setup my current PJ like I would the HD1000U, it would make an even bigger 96" screen.

I think the one I have now has an exceptionally short throw distance, so I think any model I buy would be a decrease in projection size. There is a sony though with a 1.5x zoom which seems to be even bigger than the one I have now, but I beleive it's about twice the cost as the HD1000U with no better specs other than the zoom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.