AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie in the front pj world, and needy of assistance.

I have a Sony HS20 w/ a long throw lens. I was planning to ceiling mount the projector, but I found out that I don't have the right to drill my ceiling. So I hope to go w/ plan B: sit the projector on my high bookshelf. I calculated the distance and screen dimensions based on the Sony calculator and it works out both distance & height wise for a 92" diagonal 16:9 screen 17.5' away. That is, if the lens is inverted (pj upside-down). Problem is- I cant find a mount that hangs a projector and itself sits tabletop. Probably not much of a market for this sort of install. I hope someone can point me towards a mount that can accomplish this... or perhaps suggest some materials for a DIY mount based on a comparable installation. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by melechmet
I'm a newbie in the front pj world, and needy of assistance.

That is, if the lens is inverted (pj upside-down). Problem is- I cant find a mount that hangs a projector and itself sits tabletop.
Why are you looking for a mount? Maybe I don't understand why you cannot set the projector on its feet?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Couldn't you just sit the projector upside down on the shelf and use some wood or metal around it to brace it? Or are there ventilation issues? It would be easy enough to build a plywood box and attach the projector upside down to the inside top of the box.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Why are you looking for a mount? Maybe I don't understand why you cannot set the projector on its feet?
I guess because on it's feet it would have to be placed real high on my bookshelf- almost the height of a ceiling mounted projector. Leaving the projector on it's feet at that height would project the image mostly on the ceiling (tried it) & very little on the wall :rolleyes: - unless of course I start tilting and such, in effect causing all sorts of distortion and weird reflections. I maybe wrong but this option is not great for getting the best image quality.

Quote:
Couldn't you just sit the projector upside down on the shelf and use some wood or metal around it to brace it? Or are there ventilation issues? It would be easy enough to build a plywood box and attach the projector upside down to the inside top of the box.
well, ventilation is one issue, aesthetics is another- I'm beginning to think along your lines though...basically buying a standard chief mount and making an oak "bridge" with a bit of side and bottom clearance. The mount would then work like a fake ceiling. I was just hoping that I could do away with the construction and buy a ready commercial version of this...that I guess was my intention.

Thanks both for answering.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is there a shelf above the one that you would be placing the projector? If so, couldn't you bolt the mount and projector to it? If not stores like Target have a smallish 12x12 box that the projector and mount could be mounted to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.