AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater is not large. the screen wall is 10.5' wide and the ceiling height is 7' 8".

The first row of butts will be at 11' from the screen wall, and the second row will be about 15' from the wall.

I was hoping to get the HC1600 that has the rebate +lamp deal, but have never owned a pj and wasn't sure if there was something I needed to know before purchasing one.

Thanks for any help on this!

· Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin_hr /forum/post/15413361

My theater is not large. the screen wall is 10.5' wide and the ceiling height is 7' 8".

The first row of butts will be at 11' from the screen wall, and the second row will be about 15' from the wall.

I was hoping to get the HC1600 that has the rebate +lamp deal, but have never owned a pj and wasn't sure if there was something I needed to know before purchasing one.

Thanks for any help on this!

You need to keep the offset of this projector in mind when planning your set up. For a 100" 16/9 screen the image will be located 16.4" below the center of the projector lens if ceiling mounted. www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC1600-projection-calculator-pro.htm

That means for a 100" screen the bottom of the screen will be approximately 18-1/2" from the floor if you mount the projector fairly tight (I allowed 6" from ceiling to center of lens) to the ceiling. The 18-1/2" includes the 2" border that you typically find on screens. You can raise the image by tilting the projector, but you will have to compensate by using keystone. Keystone is best to be avoided. You can also compensate for the tilted projector by tilting your screen to match.

· Registered
4,740 Posts
Where do you plan on putting the PJ? The HC1600 has a huge image offset. This means that if you put the PJ on a table 2 feet tall and aim it straight at the opposite wall where a 100" screen is, the bottom of the image will appear 16.5" above that 2 feet, or 40.5" from the floor.

Offset is found typically in DLP PJs and is calculated as a percentage of the image height you will be projecting.

Since your ceiling is 7'8", this same setup ceiling mounted would put your PJ about 6" lower or 7'2" and then the top of the screen would need to be 16.5" lower, at 5'10" and the image would extend down 49" so that the bottom of the image would be 21" from the floor.

You could tilt the PJ so that you brought the image up higher but then you have to use keystone correction to resquare the image and most would agree you should try to avoid that if possible.

· Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15413730

Where do you plan on putting the PJ? The HC1600 has a huge image offset. This means that if you put the PJ on a table 2 feet tall and aim it straight at the opposite wall where a 100" screen is, the bottom of the image will appear 21.5" above that 2 feet, or 45.5" from the floor.

Offset is found typically in DLP PJs and is calculated as a percentage of the image height you will be projecting.

Since your ceiling is 7'8", this same setup ceiling mounted would put your PJ about 6" lower or 7'2" and then the top of the screen would need to be 21.5" lower, at 5'5" and the image would extend down 49" so that the bottom of the image would be 16" from the floor.

You could tilt the PJ so that you brought the image up higher but then you have to use keystone correction to resquare the image and most would agree you should try to avoid that if possible.

Where are you getting 21.5"? I got 16.4" for 100" screen using Projector Central. is the info on Projector Central wrong for the HC1600?

· Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/15413763

Where are you getting 21.5"? I got 16.4" for 100" screen using Projector Central. is the info on Projector Central wrong for the HC1600?

Right you are - I was looking at the initial offset number and then when I changed the calc to 100" I didn't see the 16.5" offset.

I'll change all my numbers.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can hang my projector anywhere up to 17' back or so.

As you look at more expensive projectors does the throw distance change much? Would I be better off with a different (specific example would be nice) projector for my setup?

I would like the bottom of the screen to be more in the realm of 24 - 32" off the floor.

Thanks for the help!

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.