AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a bat cave with the intention of using a Seymour AV AT screen with a gain of 1.1. I am doing a 2.37 anamorphic setup with a screen width of 132" for a height of ~56". This works out to be 51 sq. feet in 2.37 mode and 38 sq. feet in 16x9 mode. The front of the PJ will be roughly 20 feet from the screen. It is pretty clear that I need a bright PJ. Will the Infocus IN-82 be adequate? Any other suggestions? I need to stay around the $4K mark. Up to now I have always had LCD but am looking to try something different. I am not obsessed with 1080P, so a 720P model may be acceptable.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Are you going to use an anamorphic lens?

The 82 is bright, but I think that it measured below the RS1. You would have to look it up though from what people have measured. That is a dang big screen at 1.1 gain. I am not really sure if the 82 will be enough. Not sure if the RS1 would be either. After that, you are looking at a lot more money to get the brightness that you will need.

I wonder what you could score a C3X 720P for?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron /forum/post/12939648

Are you going to use an anamorphic lens?

The 82 is bright, but I think that it measured below the RS1.

I believe Jason measured over 1000 lumens (calibrated) from the 82 (depending on Iris/lamp configuration), Jason's RS1 topped out at a bit over 600 Lumes. The 82 is almost twice as bright as the RS1

Jason's IN82 review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=934831

Jason's RS1 review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=rs1

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just upgraded from the w10000 1080P to the Infocus 777 720P with no regrets. Unless you are sitting very close to your screen the bang for your buck is fantastic with the 720P 3 chippers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You might get 1000 lumens on the IN82 on high lamp, but you would probably get around 1000:1 contrast also. (jason measured just over 2000:1 "mid level" settings).

To get lots of light on the IN82 you have to give up a lot of contrast.

In a "cave" room, I'm not sure you would want to do that.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpdog /forum/post/12940877

I just upgraded from the w10000 1080P to the Infocus 777 720P with no regrets. Unless you are sitting very close to your screen the bang for your buck is fantastic with the 720P 3 chippers.

I know this is way OT for this thread, but how is the contrast/black level of the 777 vs the W10000? -nevermind I forgot about your comments in the other thead.

I've been seriously considering the W20000 (depending on reviews) but the 777 just keeps popping up wherever I look. My 720p IN76 throws a great picture but the CR/black level leaves me wanting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the info so far. It's looking like I might have to adjust my plans. I may have to select a smaller screen or give up the audio-transparency for better gain. What is the price range for a 777? I assume it is more than the IN-82? Keep the suggestions coming guys. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpdog /forum/post/12940877

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The 777 is very similar to the sim2 c3x in image. I have seen this personaly. If you are a numbers geek then the sim shows better contrast but it does not show on the screen.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
If you are not set on an AT screen then you can make a much better image for a fraction of the price.

limiting yourself to an AT screen is a huge roadblock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I give up the AT screen, I am not sure how to best place my speakers - I guess it comes down to audio compromise vs. video compromise...

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Is this your first home theater?

Giving up sound is a common misperception. In fact putting fabric in front of your speakers cannot make them better.

As far as imaging goes I doubt you will find many that would say their audio is compromised by putting speakers around the perimeter. Here's what I've done
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=791264

There's a catch 22. If you sit so close that you need exact placement of the speakers, you probably are not going to be happy with the compromised image from an AT screen anyway.

you should rethink this. You will get much better projectors at a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my second home theater, although my first foray into CIH. If I put my speakers on the periphery I am probably looking at a 36 sq ft. screen (2.37). If I go this route, what would you recommend for a screen/PJ combo. My last setup was an AE700/Carada screen.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
RS1 or RS2 and Da-Lite High Power. Scope image perfection

1 - 13 of 13 Posts