AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion, if going the PJ route which out of these would you choose. I'm about ready to take the plunge and will be viewing them in the next few days, from what I have seen at Projector Central and elsewhere all have had really good reviews. Prices quoted are $AUD, main uses will be general TV viewing (night, with some daytime) / special TV telecasts (motorsports) / DVD

Pana AE300 (960x540 LCD, Composite, S-Vid, Component, RGB, DVI-D) @ $4,200

NEC HT1000 (1024x768 DLP, Composite, S-Vid, Component, RGB, DVI-D with HDCP) @ $7,700

Sanyo PLV-Z1 (960x544 LCD, Composite, S-Vid, Component, RGB) @ $4,000

·
Registered
414 Posts
These questions are always hard to answer, since I don't know how important $3000 is to you.

Based on the prices and what I have seen here, I would probably go for the Panasonic. The best way is for you to go to the store and look at a movie on it and see if you are happy. I would save the $3K for a projector 2 or 3 years from now.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the Z1 either (which I have). The keystone adjustment could be very important for you depending upon the setup.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'd have them in this order (setting price aside):

1. HT1000 - wow contrast and blacks (the most important IMO)

2. Panny 300 - great pj, wow smooth screen stuff

3. Z1 - like Panny without smooth screen stuff (better with HTPC than Panny)

Xander

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having looked around the forums on DLP there is one issue that has been raised and that is the "rainbow effect" that DLP seems to produce together with some comments that it can cause headaches. As I haven't demoed the HT1000 yet I can't comment, can someone enlighten me as to these issues.

Xander - been to your site, it's in my bookmarks - loots of good info :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
If money were no concern, I would love to have the HT1000. It has a sealed light path, DVI with HDCP, outstanding contrast ratio, higher resolution, and Faroudja processing. But no one can say whether you will see rainbows. You have to see it yourself.

I went with the Panny 300 because I could come up with a lot of ways to spend the money I saved. And I expect to be able to buy a HT1000-class projector for about the same as I paid for the 300 in a year or two when I'll be ready to upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Originally posted by ozdvduser

Pana AE300 (960x540 LCD, Composite, S-Vid, Component, RGB, DVI-D) @ $4,200

Where are you getting an AE300 for $4200? The closest I've been quoted so far is $4500 AUD

Andrew

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brashes quoted $4,185 cash

·
Registered
634 Posts
I wouldn't go for the Z1 simply cause its a poor value. If I'm not mistaken the HT1000 and AE300 prices seem to be inline but that Z1 price sucks. It's a distribution matter and you're paying a lot more for a projector that doesn't cost as much. Besides the HT1000 and AE300 are better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
to ozdvduser. I have a well set up ae 300 and can demo it for you. the brashes setup doesn,t show it at its best. email me with with your phone no . I live in rosanna ,melb 5km from [email protected]

·
Registered
240 Posts
XANDER's comments :

Z1 - like Panny without smooth screen stuff (better with HTPC than Panny)

I am currently sourcing for the best component for setting up a HTPC before buying the projector ..

Can you eleborate why Z 1 is better with HTPC than Pana AE 300

I am still deciding if AE 300 is better than Z1

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd also like to know why Xander recommends the Z1 over the Panasonic AE300 for an HTPC. I'm about to pull the trigger on an AE300 purchase (prices in US $) for around $1850 but could pick up the Z1 for about $1400 and don't want to waste $450. I was going to use a DVI cable from the video card to the AE300 for a digital connection. I'd have to use analog VGA on the Z1. I just did the spec comparison at the hometheaterpeople website and the only advantage I see that the Z1 has is a larger h/v sync range and I think that this is countered by the FCC class A rating rather than B for home use.

Ok, in answer to my own question it appears the problem with the AE300 for HTPC has to do with the inability to do a 1:1 mapping. Also, the DVI input is of limited use on this projector since the best res modes are only available via component or VGA. As a result, the HS10 is looking better to me at the high end or the Z1 at the low end.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, today I've done the side-by-side demo with the Pana AE300 & NEC HT1000. The NEC blew the Pana away in no uncertain terms. Some observations based upon the following:

Demo Room - viewed both in some ambinet light then nearly completely dark, viewing distance 3.6 metres /12 feet, used both plain wall and screen, size from 80" to 120" diagonal, DVD (used both S-Vid & Component), SD (used both S-Vid & RGB) and HD (used both S-Vid & RGB) via Digitec 200A STB

AE300 - looks great for the price, contrast & brightness acceptable, minor screendoor depending on where sitting, some motion artifacts on quick movements, horizontal banding quite evident with all inputs, S-Vid & Component & RGB were acceptable BUT provided less clarity than the NEC running just S-Vid, black level looked slightly grey but was acceptable

HT1000 - fantastic picture all round, great contrast & brightness, couldn't pick any screendoor or rainbow, no horizontal banding evident, output from every connection input on the various sources was just so far ahead of the AE300 - even when using the AE300 with high inputs like Component & RGB it just couldn't match the HT1000, black level more 'blacker' than the AE300 but not quite black as we know it from tv (tyres, tarred roads are very good for comparison)

Once you actually are able to see units side-by-side displaying the same picture you can really do an honest comparison. On the strength of it the extra $3000 you paying will give you what you paid for - a much better overall product.

rainbow effect - they did connect up another NEC DLP and the rainbow effect was unbearable, moving your head from side-to-side & up-down really brought home this effect, how distracting it is and how it can give people headaches. I'm glad I had a chance to see it in person, because until you've experienced it you'll never know the effects on you personally. I really couldn't put up with a unit that produced this effect on a daily basis. Did the same test on the HT1000 and didn't notice anything at all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeffwp - have emailed you

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thought I would chime in as I was recently at Ritz AV in Maryland (do a google search) for a 3 way demo of the NEC 1000, HS10, and Panny 300. This was my first "real" pj demo after many casual observations.

All 3 boxes were straight out of the box and uncalibrated. Panny was in "normal" mode (not low power), Sony in cinema mode w/ supplied filter (CCR20?). All 3 projected onto 16' wide matt white Dalite screen obviously designed for side by side comparison. RP91 DVD player using component outs. Also 1080i HDTV display as well as computer desktop on Panny and NEC.

Brightness/Colors- HS10 seemed to have the most punch, neck and neck w/ 1000 though the Panny was not far behind at all. HS10 seemed to stand out the most for some reason, my eyes were drawn to it first when the demo started. All 3 projectors gave an excellent picture.

Black levels/Shadow details- Nec, Panny, HS10. HS10 suffered here in comparison. The NEC was better than the Panny, but not 2800 US dollars worth--just my opinion. Considering the price, Panny had good black levels and shadows.

Noise level- I expected significantly higher fan noise from Sony based on the reviews I have read on this forum. However, I found the noise levels almost a wash b/t the 3. Sony may have been slightly louder, but certainly not a loud as my HTPC, which I have made sure is quiet. However, all 3 projectors were on wheeled trays-- I will ceiling mount my pj so noise may become more signicant from below.

Resolution- Native resolution does matter if you will be using HTPC for other things (gaming, pictures) besides dvds. Here the Panny suffers as a 1024 X 768 computer desktop image was blurred. NEC was sharp. Of course, it was at it's native resolution. (Couldn't see the Sony as its DVI out only). Incidentally, rainbows are not a factor on NEC (5X color wheel).

Screen door, visible from about 1 screen length away (20/15 uncorrected vision). There is even some screen door on DLP NEC but I had to pretty much stick my face against the screen to see it. We also moved the projectors back to make roughly a 135 inch vertical screen. Still a very nice pictures from all, but screen door on LCD's obviously becomes more pronounced.

One final thing, NEC and Panny are manual zoom. Remote zoom capabilities on the Sony. Thought that was a nice feature.

All 3 projectors are great and I would be happy with any of them if price were no object. But I did not think the NEC "blew away" the competition at all. If I did not care about resolution, I would have bought the Panny. I am probably leaning towards the HS10, for the money. As it is, I remain on the fence.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeffwp - have emailed you

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jeffwp - emailed you & it bounced as your mailbox is full/over the limit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Epiel,

How did you find this on Google? I tried the demo search and could not get a result.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The reason the Z1 is "better" than the AE300 with an HTPC is that the Z1 can somewhat easily be fed its native rate. No one has figure out how to feed the AE300 its native rate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
rogo,

Are you saying noone has been able to run a HTPC on AE300 at its native resolution of 960 X 540 using powerstrip? I find that hard to believe...

Jbaracelona,

Using the google search engine, type "ritz av" in the window and the first listed result is the website for the store. Works for me, anyway. Seems silly not to post the link, but I believe it is against forum rumes.

Ritz AV is an excellent place to do a demo, btw.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.