AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PJCalc shows the center of my screen as being 37" below the ceiling for the installation I'm doing. Since I'm not using the factory mount, how do I calculate the actual position? Is PJCalc assuming that the PJ is mounted flush with the ceiling?

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Depending on projector and mounts the PJ CALC program takes into consideration that the bottom of the projector is a few inches from the sheetrock on the ceiling. You need to figure out the measurments show on PJ CALC from the actual bottom of the projector to the top edge of the screen, then recreate them acording to your installation no matter how close the pJ is to the ceiling the distance from the bottom of the projector to the top of the screen will be the same.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Actually PJ Calc is simply showing you where the projector is in space relative to the bottom of your screen (for a ceiling mount). It is up to you to determine how high the screen is, how high your ceiling is and fill in that info which will then tell you what you have to do to determine how to mount your projector.

Terry

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using version 1.5 and it was showing 37" from the ceiling to the middle of the screen. I just downloaded 1.8 and it shows 60" from the bottom of the screen to what appears to be the ceiling.

Should I assume that the 60" is from the bottom of the screen to the bottom of the projector or the ceiling?

Attached is a picture of what PJCalc is showing me.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
That picture shows the throw distance. It is the measurement from the screen to the projector only. Again depending the your projector and mount, really the mount (the picture was for a SONY 12XX) and space between the ceiling and projector chasis this will make for differances as to the position of the screen. Do you have the 12XX manual? It might have more detailed drawings of the installation versus what PJ calc tells you to do?

For instance acording the Pj calc my Pj shoud be at around 4 feet up from the floor for the throw distance I have it set up at. well I can walk under my projector and Im taller then 4 ' :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am hanging my projector as I write this and I am also curious about the screen position relative to the projector. In the pjcalc picture is the 46in measurement from the bottom of the case, bottom of the lens or center of the lense.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...achmentid=2177

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately the manual uses the sony mount and I don't think they state its height. If I knew this then I could probably figure it out from the diagrams in the manual.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
FS123

thats 46 inches from the floor to the top of the case. Seems low to me though? I like to wak under my projector.

Besides, who has 60inch (5 foot) ceilings right? :)

I would take these measurements and refrence them to your installation.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The drawing from PJ Calc look correct to me.

That's 60" from the bottom of the projector (top) to the bottom of the screen. Now the screen is some distance off the floor, say 24" which means that the projector is really 84" off the floor.

A rule of thumb w/ sony's is that the lenses are going to be at about the same height as the top of the screen or a little higher. You can actually mount the projector higher or lower but you won't mount the projector level in order to do it. The lens angle is fixed at 15 degrees or so. PJ Calc will allow you to change the lens angle and it will recalculate the position.

Terry

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help.

I decided that I would mount the screen at the height I wanted it (within reason) and adjust the tilt of the projector.

I adjusted it last night by about 1 or 2 degrees and I was able to get a pretty good convergence with everything centered in my 16:9 screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.