AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=8&spkrID=146

https://www.amazon.com/Bic-Acoustech-PL-200-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B00OFXV5IO

I have the original PL-200 and I was looking at getting a 2nd. Come to find out BIC America has released an updated model! Amazon shows it being first available on July 17, 2017. I couldn't find any conversation on AVS about it, or any unboxing videos on YouTube.

Anyone have insight on the updated model of this popular budget sub?

The PL-200 II’s new dual flared front ports enable a more even transition of sound into the room and dramatically boost deeper bass frequencies providing a smoother frequency response, virtually flat down to 20Hz.
Comparing specs it looks like it's 1/8" wider, and 6 pounds lighter. The warranty is still 5 years on the amp, and 8 on the woofer.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
While I am a big fan of BIC products......this looks like a minor revision of relocating the ports to the front and a slightly lower tune.

Not much of a change...........I would not mix this one with the old one as port tune changes the phase....how much and how big of a problem I do not know as I am no expert, I just know it is generally not recommended to mix different tuned subs like that as it can take some skill and dsp to get them to mix well together.

Great to see they are updating it, but I would choose the new style or the old style and get matching ones based off of the comments of those on here who know way more than me.......just to eliminate any problems as it can e hard enough getting good bass in a room without making more issues than needed.

Now that I go look at the specs...the old one is 23 hz and the new one s 22 hz........might not e a problem mixing them, however the old one is cheaper by about 30-70 bucks for almost identical performance.......I would opt for the old one to match your current old one if it were me.

I wonder if they plan the same revision for the F-12 ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I am a big fan of BIC products......this looks like a minor revision of relocating the ports to the front and a slightly lower tune.

Not much of a change...........I would not mix this one with the old one as port tune changes the phase....how much and how big of a problem I do not know as I am no expert, I just know it is generally not recommended to mix different tuned subs like that as it can take some skill and dsp to get them to mix well together.

Great to see they are updating it, but I would choose the new style or the old style and get matching ones based off of the comments of those on here who know way more than me.......just to eliminate any problems as it can e hard enough getting good bass in a room without making more issues than needed.

Now that I go look at the specs...the old one is 23 hz and the new one s 22 hz........might not e a problem mixing them, however the old one is cheaper by about 30-70 bucks for almost identical performance.......I would opt for the old one to match your current old one if it were me.

Good info! I didn't know that the change of port style could change the phase.

Definitely looking at the the original. Not sure if I am going to be able to find it. I am moving into house where my room will only be 12x13. So another one would probably be too much anyways.

·
Registered
22,755 Posts
Good info! I didn't know that the change of port style could change the phase.

Definitely looking at the the original. Not sure if I am going to be able to find it. I am moving into house where my room will only be 12x13. So another one would probably be too much anyways.
IDK, the old one did not have much deep bass extension and was very peaky according to this review so not sure I believe they fixed that with the new one:

"The unit also is tuned rather high and rolls off quickly below 35 or 40hz so there is not a lot of deep bass extension."

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...-acoustech-pl-200-data-bass-test-results.html

For under $400 I'd go with a BasX S10 or BasXS12, the latter which in the official AVS test and Brent Butterworth's recent test actually achieved its specified non peaky response and extension.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

It's actually listed down to 21hz (new one)
it will be interesting to hear some feedback

bic quotes " The PL-200 II’s new dual flared front ports enable a more even transition of sound into the room and dramatically boost deeper bass frequencies providing a smoother frequency response, virtually flat down to 20Hz. "

virtually flat down to 20hz... hmmm those are some big promises

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's actually listed down to 21hz (new one)
it will be interesting to hear some feedback

bic quotes " The PL-200 II’s new dual flared front ports enable a more even transition of sound into the room and dramatically boost deeper bass frequencies providing a smoother frequency response, virtually flat down to 20Hz. "

virtually flat down to 20hz... hmmm those are some big promises
I've loved my PL200. It's been a great sub. Though I've not heard higher end subs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Would this be much of a upgrade over my Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofers? The only reason I want them is because I already have the Accoustech PL series 5 speaker setup and just want it to match the rest of the speakers. I could sell the 2 Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofers to offset the cost or move the Klipsch upstairs

·
Registered
22,755 Posts
Would this be much of a upgrade over my Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofers? The only reason I want them is because I already have the Accoustech PL series 5 speaker setup and just want it to match the rest of the speakers. I could sell the 2 Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofers to offset the cost or move the Klipsch upstairs
No.

The original PL 200 was rated to 22hz and DataBass found response after 30hz fell off a cliff; I would expect similar results for the new PL 200II that is rated to 21hz.

To get yrue 22hz extension you'd have to go for one of these two subs for around $400.

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $433 HSU VTF 1 MK3

·
Registered
129 Posts
No.

The original PL 200 was rated to 22hz and DataBass found response after 30hz fell off a cliff; I would expect similar results for the new PL 200II that is rated to 21hz.

To get yrue 22hz extension you'd have to go for one of these two subs for around $400.

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $433 HSU VTF 1 MK3
Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: texasninja956

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the response fell off in a 2 meter ground plane measurement, while it is a very useful measurement to compare things on a level playing field. It does not show what it does in room, my measurements in room and at the cone show it does almost exactly what it is rated at.

My guess, since they do not include the info is the rating is derived from a at the cone measurement.......:confused:

·
Registered
443 Posts
The PL-200 II will be my next review, but it's a ways out yet as I just hooked it up a couple of days ago.
Patiently waiting...

Stupid Harvey flooded my house and my BIC America F12 is a goner! :(

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
Patiently waiting...
I thrive under pressure! :cool:

I have most of my notes done, but I've been having trouble finding time to do any actually writing. This weekend looks to be a washout in NJ so maybe I can get a few hours done since I can't go outside.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
did you have the original pl-200 to compare?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
I reviewed the H-100II when that first came out, but it's the only other BIC subwoofer I've heard. All indications suggest the PL-200II is very similar to the original though. The ports are now front-firing, but it appears the driver and amp are the same (or very close to it). In the BIC hierarchy, the PL is their top of the line.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I currently have the H-100 II in my 3000 Cu FT. living room (while i save up for either dual LVX12, PB2000 or VTF2 mk5) it does an ok job 30hz and up ....

but when i put it in my PC room 960 cu ft. it rocks (this is what i originally purchased it for)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My original PL-200 took a dump on me a few weeks ago. Amp died as near as I can tell as it kept eating fuses. It was right around 5 years old and I couldn't find the receipt so I can't complain.

Is the new version any good? At least as good as the original? Waiting on your review as well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.