AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was actually about to ask this same question. I have the below setup (speakers to be upgraded VERY soon). My the bottom of the screen on the TV is 5.75" tall, and pushed all the way back I only get 7" of depth. The shelf with the XBOX and cable box I have 5.75" of height if I stick it directly under the front bar, or if i set it back a couple of inches I get 9.25" of height (I should have plenty of depth and width on this shelf).

Short of mounting the TV on the wall, which I don't really want to do, I see 3 options.

1. Either I need a small center that can sit in front of the TV (I could even set the TV on something to boost it up a little, but I would still be limited by the depth).

2. I could set a center on that middle shelf, but I wonder if anyone has done something like this and how it affected the sound? The shelves are glass, and 2x2" hollow metal bar would be obstructing.

3. Mount on the wall above the TV, but it doesnt seem like I've seen much of this done...maybe there is a reason why? It would be approximately 5.5' up, so it would be a couple feet above my ears when I'm sitting.

I'm looking at possibly buying a Polk CSi A4, which measures in at 6-7/8" H x 20" W x 8-3/4" D. I don't necessarily have to get this speaker, but I'm looking at a decent used deal at the moment for a set. Whether I get this, which will only work with options 2 and 3 (using wall brackets), or another that might work with option 1, I need to figure out a placement soon.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had that same exact problem until i decided to get a stand which elevates the tv

Then you can have 12+" of room lol

What if you were to put something under the tv? Maybe make a 2-3" tall box in the same shape as the tv's base

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by accohn12 /forum/post/18125895

I've had a very similar issue, I found this, and it seems to be a perfect fit for people like us.
http://www.wood-tech.com/content/tvriser2

I'm going to buy a Polk CS2 to put in it, and my Sammy 46" LCD will go on it.

I like the idea, but $90 for 3 pieces of wood kind of burns me a little. Although I don't trust my workmanship to set my 46" TV on top of... so maybe I'll see if there are similar items out there...

So, what does anyone think of me sticking the center on that middle shelf? Bad idea

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonpablo /forum/post/18126294

I like the idea, but $90 for 3 pieces of wood kind of burns me a little. Although I don't trust my workmanship to set my 46" TV on top of... so maybe I'll see if there are similar items out there...

So, what does anyone think of me sticking the center on that middle shelf? Bad idea

That center shelf might be a little low to get the best performance out of your center channel. The stand that I made is very strong. My TV is a 46 inch. It could hold a lot more weight. I have less that $50 invested in it in total including primer and paint. You really don't need any specialized tools to make a stand the way I did. It is also an open design, so if your center has ports it won't degrade the sound. My center is sealed so I didn't have to worry.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by accohn12 /forum/post/18125895

I've had a very similar issue, I found this, and it seems to be a perfect fit for people like us.
http://www.wood-tech.com/content/tvriser2

I'm going to buy a Polk CS2 to put in it, and my Sammy 46" LCD will go on it.

Thanks for posting this! I was considering buying a new TV stand as I am about to have the same problem. This will work nicely until I can save up and get a nice TV stand.

BTW, I found it cheaper at this site. It's a Yahoo! shopping site and is rated well on Google products so it's probably a good retailer.
http://cdrackem.com/wotetvtvriwi.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.