AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'll be getting a modified Radeon card with 5 BNC out, I need a good 5 BNC to 5 BNC cable for a 35ft run.

Anyone know a place to get a good one?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

We have those in Canare "3C" type cable and possibly in 5C, from $135 or try www.bettercables.com e.mail me if interested.

·
Registered
365 Posts
 AAA Custom Cables

I can highly recommend them - I bought a 5 BNC to 5 BNC for $61.85. The quality is excellent and the service from that company is superior.

They have a 33' for $43.75 - exactly what you may need ;)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Definately go with either a Canare V5-4/5CFB or a Belden 1694A multichannel cable. I put in a Canare V5-5CFB at 30' when I installed my MP-1 9500, and I love it. The cable is huge (garden hose size!), but the image quality is worth it.

I went with the Canare stuff since I have a dealer not too far from me, and got the Canare tool and die. Quite costly, I spent more on the tool and die than I did on the wire. :D

http://www.haveinc.com/
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
http://www.bettercables.com/

Or get a set of cables from a forum member (what I should have done!). Tim (who already offered above) or Terry (user Chuchuf) both resell made-to-order Canare cable at close to cost. I'd recommend nabbing your cable from one of them if someone isn't local to you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought Belden 7712 (five RG6 conductors in one cable), which is similar to Belden 1694 except that 1694 is a single conductor cable. I found it cheapest from bluejeanscable.com for a couple bucks a foot plus termination in BNC connectors, and was impressed with the quality. Worth checking out from my experience,

John

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I got mine from Terry (Chuchuf)

This is what he notes in the AVS classifieds

He uses the Canare V5-3CFB cable, Canare 75 ohn true bnc connectors w. colored boots and subD15 connectors.

Pricing for video cables is $3/ft for bnc or RCA to subD15, $40 minimum. For bnc or rca or any mix on both ends add $10 to the order.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
We build custom cables all the time and have found that Canare V3 works very well in runs up to 75'. V5 is fine stuff but huge as Spearce pointed out.

Terry

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
plissken99,

I ordered the highly recommended by Mike Parker Belden 1694A cables with Canare ends on them from rhinocables.com

I am totally happy with their performance.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
plissken99,

sorry this isnt an answer but a question. What modified card are you getting? Is this recomended over a regular Radeon card with VGA output? ie using VGA to BNC breaKout ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Like you I have a modded radeon.

I figured I'd rather take time to learn how to do it right & save money, have the tools afterward & get a superior product.

I had previously ordered a full 1000' ($350) spool of belden 1694a, and I had a generic palladin crimper. I wanted to use neutrik connectors (look on partsexpress) but could not (after much research) and still have not found a sensible way to crimp them short of buying neutrik's insane 1-task $450 crimper.

So, I used cheap sleazy 1-piece BNC's at $0.86 each & heat shrunk tubing on top. Then zip-tied the thing together all along its length, and voila!

I intend to spend a bit more time trying to figure out (research) if there is a superior video cable, too.

Any suggestions on the neutriks is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The 1694a is hard to beat. You could get more insane and find something like a solid silver core cable that might be marginally better, but I doubt you might see that difference in your video, especially at under 100' of cable.

The big problem with crimp-on connectors is the only way to use them well is to have the correct die for a good quality crimp frame/handle which can crimp the connector, and a good coax stripper sized correctly for the wire. I went easy on myself and went Canare all the way, so the stripper is already preset for the 5CFB Canare wire, and the die and crimp frame are correct for the BNCs. Lazy I am.

Nuetrik makes some good looking connectors though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.