AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is the right area for this post (but everyone is so helpful, I'm sure I'll get some help). I'm working on my hometheater in my basement (YEA!!), and I have to decide where I will put the components. The biggest part of the decission will be in regards to cables. Either I am going to have to run LONG cables to my front speakers and have short video cables to my projector OR I can have short cables to my speakers and LONG cables to my projector. Which is better (if either)? That is, which signal will be degraded the most over the distance (about 30 to 40 feet). HELP!! Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I would err in favor of keeping your video runs shorter. But don't interpret that as meaning you can't do long video runs - it depends on the signal type and cable. Either way, if this is the only deciding factor make the speaker cables longer. I would use 12 AWG speaker cable, although you don't have to.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...does that mean that video signal degrades easier than the audio signal in the speaker cable? In the end, I know I'm going to fork over a good chunk of change for the cables, so I'm trying to find a happy medium when I'm not slighting myself!?!

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
The way that I would put it is that there is more that can go wrong running video cables. But that does NOT mean that video signals cannot be run over long distances - they can be. And some video signals are easier to run for long distances than other video signals, for instance video composite is easier to run over a long distance than S-Video. There are a lot of factors that come into play (cable type, equipment involved, signal type, etc.) and it is hard to generalize. And there are always ways to compensate for long runs. Video signals can be run many hundreds of feet as long as the proper cable and video "amplifiers" are used.

Your 30'-40' probably won't be a problem either way, even with the video signal.

A speaker level signal is typically much less likely to pick up interference than a video signal (again, I am generalizing here).

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
I would use 12 AWG speaker cable, although you don't have to.

Welcome to the forum.
Why?

Larger gauge wire either serves to carry more current or helps to reduce voltage drops over a very long distance. He's only running 30' to 40' which is nothing and he doesn't need the current capacity for speakers. 16AWG should be fine, or am I missing something else? I'm not disputing your statement, in so much as I'm curious since I'm at the stage for running my speaker wires for my HT.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Robert, did you just come over here to kick a man while he is down and having his important threads deleted :D?

Because it will make him feel manly having that big hunking wire running to his speakers, that's why.

I am running out now and will answer the question for real later.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Runaway, little man....Runaway :p

Seriously, I thought the 5 projector thread was hilarious

even tho, I still think you're the upside down antichrist ;)

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Robert:

I said "I would use 12 AWG speaker cable, although you don't have to".

Why would I use it? Because for me it is often fun to do things the best they can be done just for the sake of doing it, within reason. So why not use speaker cable that will add the minimum amount of resistance to the signal as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 12 AWG is widely available at reasonable prices and will probably add another $25-$50 to the cost of the speaker cable (assuming two speakers).

Would using 16 AWG at this distance be "wrong"? - absolutely not.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Dude,

$50 is 3 or 4 DVD's....Get with the program ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.