AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a down-firing Onkyo subwoofer from the HT-S6100 HTiB. I recently purchased the front-firing Polk Audio PSW505 subwoofer. From my understanding, more often than not, especially in such a square room as mine, down-firing subs tend to sound better in the corner. I might be wrong. I'm wondering what would be your guys' best guess where to place the two subwoofers together. Any additional info needed I'll provide - though I'm just looking for an estimate really. I attached a picture of the position of the Onkyo sub and possible placing for the other one. The Polk Audio sub could also replace the position of the Onkyo if you feel that's better. The Polk Audio sub is a bit of a higher standard so maybe it comes down to that, where "the better" should be placed. Thanks

The difference I seem to hear (regardless of position and the different locations I've had this gear), at least with this down-firing sub in particular, it tends to be more boomy, long "woo"ing notes are less projected/weaker and more muffled, and it produces louder impacts (thud sound), making it better for movies, while the front-firing seems more fitting for music; bass sounds more natural/accurate musically.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You can start in the two front corners and go from there. It really does take experimenting with different positions to hear what sounds best to you or gives you the best response in your measurments. The shape of the room amd things that you have in it like furniture and such can play a big role in how they will work. Google sub placement and you can see what I mean.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_two_subwoofers.html

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO /forum/post/19574793

You can start in the two front corners and go from there. It really does take experimenting with different positions to hear what sounds best to you or gives you the best response in your measurments. The shape of the room amd things that you have in it like furniture and such can play a big role in how they will work. Google sub placement and you can see what I mean.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_two_subwoofers.html

Well, the second corner isn't actually available but the next best thing in this case I guess would be directly to the right of the TV, as shown in the chicken scratch of a picture, lol. I mean, I know experimentation is the key. But that would take a whole day, literally, of crawling around, switching subwoofer positions, calibrating each time, swapping the places of each to see which one's better where... Too much. At least for now, I'd be satisfied with an assumption of the best, based on experience of what's more common than not. There really isn't anything significant that would effect the sound much in the room besides the sofa which is already where it only needs to get to. Other than that, almost completely square with just two guitar cases and a few shoes along the left and right walls..

To be honest though, there are a few more factors - here they are. The front wall (where the TV is) is brick, the left and right walls are wooden, the floor is carpeted, and everything along the front wall (including the current sub) is elevated on a brick platform topped by a sheet of stone I think.. The wall is supposed to be for a fire place. It's a lot of stuff but easy to imagine once you go it. Just didn't want to bring all that up so that it wouldn't be as intimidating, to get more responses like, "It's impossible even to guess." I think it's minimalistic enough to be able to. The guess could not factor in all those previously mentioned factors; it'd be good enough. Thanks again

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness /forum/post/19575300

I would suggest midwall placement, with subs on opposite walls. One study found this to be the best way to smooth out FR with two subs.

It's not an option. The options are out of what's shown in the picture. The spot where the current subwoofer is and the red circles are the only places for them. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts