AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get Polk CSI A6 as a center speaker and would like to put it on the top shelf below the tv but it will only fit on the lower shelf of my current stand. Lower shelf is 3 inches off the floor and the 2nd shelf is 11 inches off the floor. Will the speaker being an extra 8 inches lower and that close to the floor make a significant difference? It will be center speaker for 2 RTIA9s and 2 FXI A6s and an Infiniti sub. Appreciate any comments/suggestions thanks.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
It may not sound good, being only a few inches from the floor. I would suggest that you raise the TV, to allow the center to sit on top of the shelf. If that is not possible, you can try out your plan, but be sure the front of the speaker is elevated to aim the sound towards your seated ear. In addition, be sure the speaker is just forward of the front of the cabinet (yes, hanging off the front slightly) and there is a rug on the floor in front of the speaker (if there isn't one there already). All these actions will help to mitigate the early reflections, which cause muddy sound.

That said, the best solution is to have the tweeter of the center horizontally aligned with the tweeters of the L&R speakers, or as close as possible, all at seated ear level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to get a new stand too, depending which new receiver I use to power this system. Currently have a Yamaha HTR 5890.. would like to upgrade to a Yamaha RX-V1083 or an Onkyo TX-RZ810. Which of those 2 receivers would power this system better? (without getting another amp in the meantime) Any recommendations between these two? I like the power rating of the Onkyo but have heard Onkyo have problems with the switching or is that a thing of the past?

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
The internet gods ate my lengthy reply, so here are the crib notes:

Yes, you will eventually want a separate amp with 200 wpc or more for those beasts. In the meantime, set to small and cross over at 80Hz, to give the underpowered receiver all the headroom it can get.

Once you have the new amp, run the speakers full-range (pure-direct for music) and forget the outclassed sub. If not enough boom for you for HT, then get yourself a nice sub or two and cross over at 60Hz or thereabouts.

Marantz > Yamaha > Denon > Onkyo ... accessories4less.com ... Bear in mind that 100 watts per channel (2 channels driven, 8 ohms) quickly becomes 50 wpc all channels driven. If they specify one channel driven, or use 6 ohms only, or don't specify anything next to the wattage rating, avoid!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had the same problem. Put my CSI5 on the lower shelf and it just sucked. Couldn't hear dialog most of the time. I was going to get a new stand, but ended up putting the TV on the wall and then having enough space to put the CC on the top shelf. Sounds great now.

Reactions: RayGuy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts