AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing Emp Tek E5Bi bookshelf speakers for my soon to be built basement home theater. I like the idea of buying five of these for a 5.1 system so that all speakers match, but I have some placement questions.

I plan on putting the two front sides on stands, but the center I believe would have to stay vertical if I used this speaker for the center, and I’m not sure how to place it with the screen being so low to the ground (120” screen about 19 inches off the floor). I would probably be better off getting the E5Ci center channel and putting it on a shelf, but I do like the idea of matching speakers, so I'm wondering what others have done using a vertical speaker as a center.

I think I'm also going to have issues with the rear surrounds, which I would have to mount on the side walls of the room. It doesn’t sound like these speakers are easily wall-mountable, so I don’t know if I’d be better off with the Emp Tek E3b’s in the rear. Any insight into these issues would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
While it would be nice to have the left, center and right channels all on stands of the same height and all speakers placed upright, that often cannot be done. I placed my E5Bi on a component shelf on its side and used pads under it, aiming it at my head level. I found that this works just fine.

Your E5Bi's have two threaded inserts on the rear of the speaker in order to mount different type brackets. Just look for some brackets that you can use to angle them down toward you, with the rear port not flush against the wall. Since I don't have rears yet, I haven't selected the bracket, but look on Amazon. There should be plenty to choose from. You may also consider some stands that are taller than normal, or have the capability to be extended.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will putting the speaker on its side compromise the sound? Or more importantly, would I be better off having the matching speaker in the center laid down on its side, or going with the Emp Tek-made center speaker?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Will putting the speaker on its side compromise the sound? Or more importantly, would I be better off having the matching speaker in the center laid down on its side, or going with the Emp Tek-made center speaker?
How about getting 2 pair of the E5Bi as well as the E5Ci, then you can test which sounds best in the center placement? If the E5Bi wins, order another and return the E5Ci. If the E5Ci wins, you already have it... :D

Might also look at the E56Ci...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about getting 2 pair of the E5Bi as well as the E5Ci, then you can test which sounds best in the center placement? If the E5Bi wins, order another and return the E5Ci. If the E5Ci wins, you already have it... :D

Might also look at the E56Ci...

Not a bad idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Just put the center channel low and point it up to the listening position. The surrounds can go on stands just like the mains.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If you can, the E5 placed normal (vertical) in the center position will give you the widest stage and best sound. Horizontal 'center' speakers have some issues, but a well built one can overcome some/most of those issues. The e56ci is a great center for sure. Not sure if you can go that big or have that much to spend. I think placing the E5 vertically and aiming it up will be just fine for you. Ordering 2 pairs of the E5's and the E5c isn't a bad idea also...if you're always going to wonder 'what-if'. Return shipping shouldn't be bad on the E5c if you wanted to just run an E5 as your center

Also, the Pinpoint AM24 wall mounts work just fine with the E5 bookshelves. This is what I have and they're holding up just fine for over year now

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will the larger e56c center be too much for the bookshelf e5bi's? Bigger sound aside, that thing is pretty large in actual size too.

Also, anyone have any idea if Emp Tek always has a holiday sale in mid-November? My researching is showing them having a sale each of the last two years in November.

Oh and I'm new to all of this but speaker cable wise, it looks like 16 gauge is standard for speakers like this? I think my longest run will be about 25-30 feet.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Will the larger e56c center be too much for the bookshelf e5bi's? Bigger sound aside, that thing is pretty large in actual size too.

Also, anyone have any idea if Emp Tek always has a holiday sale in mid-November? My researching is showing them having a sale each of the last two years in November.
Good question. I think the small one is designed to go with the bookshelf speakers and the large one with the towers. I have the small center with the towers and it is a poor match. The large one with the bookshelf speakers may also be a poor match but I can't tell you from experience.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
As FMW said, good question. I noticed you said 120" screen so assumed you were sitting somewhere ~13' away. Thought maybe the larger center would be a good fit due to that. You could run it slightly "cold" if it was overpowering your front L/R.

Soxfan111111 said:
Another good question and I'm hoping so, as that's why I'm waiting to buy the E5Bi/E5Ci set myself!

Soxfan111111 said:
Oh and I'm new to all of this but speaker cable wise, it looks like 16 gauge is standard for speakers like this? I think my longest run will be about 25-30 feet.
16AWG should be fine for those runs. If in doubt and you don't already have the wire, going 14AWG won't cost that much more. http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As FMW said, good question. I noticed you said 120" screen so assumed you were sitting somewhere ~13' away. Thought maybe the larger center would be a good fit due to that. You could run it slightly "cold" if it was overpowering your front L/R.

Another good question and I'm hoping so, as that's why I'm waiting to buy the E5Bi/E5Ci set myself!

16AWG should be fine for those runs. If in doubt and you don't already have the wire, going 14AWG won't cost that much more. http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10239
Okay this begs a further question for me. As you noticed, I am planning on a 120" screen, and will probably be sitting about 13 feet away. Will the E5bi's feel too small for this setup? I was also looking at the Pioneer Andrew Jones towers which might play bigger? I like the look and the reviews for the Emp Teks though. This setup is going to be used pretty much entirely for tv and movie watching, not music. And I'm planning on pairing these speakers with the SVS PB-1000 sub.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Okay this begs a further question for me. As you noticed, I am planning on a 120" screen, and will probably be sitting about 13 feet away. Will the E5bi's feel too small for this setup? I was also looking at the Pioneer Andrew Jones towers which might play bigger? I like the look and the reviews for the Emp Teks though. This setup is going to be used pretty much entirely for tv and movie watching, not music. And I'm planning on pairing these speakers with the SVS PB-1000 sub.
Couldn't say, sorry. The room itself and whether it opens into others or not will play a large part in that. What size room do you have (WxDxH)?

I know @dsrussell owns the E5Bis, maybe he'll be back and can post his room dimensions, give you something to compare to.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
What do you mean by 'feel to small'? Assuming you mean in terms of will they feel like little satellite speakers...no. Not even close. They're not going to load your space up with sub 100hz bass, but they'll play down to the transition with that sub or any decent sub very nicely. They're a very solid speaker for the money. In terms of imaging they're not small feeling at all. Great imaging from this line up. You might just order a single pair of E5's to try them out (with a sub for sure). I wouldn't want any towers under $2-3k without a sub, let alone bookshelves. It's amazing how perception and sound can be rounded out and changed with the addition of quality sub bass.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
There were several things that attracted me to the E5Bi's. One was its soundstage. For its size, it puts out a surprisingly large soundstage. This is not only in width, but also in height. All one has to do is get up and walk around. Not only that, the two speakers put out a reasonable phantom center (not great, but not bad), although the sweet spot is narrower than I thought it would be. After observing this, I felt there was no need for a dedicated center channel, and instead I opted for a 3rd E5Bi. I figured if it didn't work the way I wanted, I'd just ship it back for their center channel speaker. As I stated previously, I found that it worked very well in my situation and see no reason why it wouldn't work for you. I don't feel it compromised the sound at all, but actually helped extend the sweet spot. As smcmillan2 indicate, you could order a center channel and see if you prefer it to the E5Bi as a center. I also agree with FMW that the large center channel may not be a good match for the E5Bi's. The main thing is, see what works best for you in your room (each environment will be acoustically different).

These speakers are in a 3,400 cu. ft. room that is rather open.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
@ousooner2 - Do you have your E5Bis on stands or wall mounted, and if wall mounted, with what mounts?

I ask because my wife will want them wall mounted and I haven't figured out placement yet. I know dsrussell has his on stands, I'm wondering if wall mounting the E5Bis is a problem due to the rear port?

Thanks!
Scott

EDIT: My bad, I see you also have the E55Ti so I'm guessing you are using the E5Bis as surrounds(?) I'm planning to use them as my front L/R.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yeah. See post 7 . Using Pinpoint AM24 mounts

The surrounds are rear ported and when tilted on this mount are about 5" from the wall. Not too worried though as they're just surrounds

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yeah. See post #7 . Using Pinpoint AM24 mounts
Ahh, yep, sorry. Didn't notice that earlier.

ousooner2 said:
The surrounds are rear ported and when tilted on this mount are about 5" from the wall. Not too worried though as they're just surrounds
OK, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think I'm also going to have issues with the rear surrounds, which I would have to mount on the side walls of the room. It doesn’t sound like these speakers are easily wall-mountable, so I don’t know if I’d be better off with the Emp Tek E3b’s in the rear. Any insight into these issues would be appreciated.
What did you end up doing for the surrounds? Am trying to figure that out for my setup now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi. I am going to purchase these as well. We are moving and I ditched my old stuff to start new. Getting
Vizio M50
Denon avr 710S
svs sub
the emp tek surrounds, center and towers (towers are on back order)
(I have a roku)
Listen mostly to tv/movies and 20% music in 18 x 10 family room. will need to cover large window for better acoustics

What stands are good for these? I don't really want to put the surrounds on the wall (or ceiling?), so 2 pairs of stands are good. I know Amazon has many, but too many to chose from to know which would work well with these. Thanks

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Hi. I am going to purchase these as well. We are moving and I ditched my old stuff to start new. Getting
Vizio M50
Denon avr 710S
svs sub
the emp tek surrounds, center and towers (towers are on back order)
(I have a roku)
Listen mostly to tv/movies and 20% music in 18 x 10 family room. will need to cover large window for better acoustics

What stands are good for these? I don't really want to put the surrounds on the wall (or ceiling?), so 2 pairs of stands are good. I know Amazon has many, but too many to chose from to know which would work well with these. Thanks
Congratulations! Since this is mostly for movies, I’ve found that the R5Bi’s are far too good of a speaker for surround channel usage. They are completely wasted as an effects channel, but since you already have them, so be it (I’m in the same boat). If I would have known that prior, I would have ordered some E3b’s for the surrounds.

I would try to get a tall enough stand for the surrounds so the tweeter is above ear level. For the fronts, you don’t have to be too particular on the height of the stand. Most people will tell you that the speaker’s tweeter should be at ear level while sitting down (and it should). Because of the R5Bi’s very large and high sound stage, it makes no difference. Heck, I have mine on 36-inch high stands and it works really well.

The R5Bi’s are only 7-1/2 pounds each, so any reasonably stable stand should work out fine. I bought my stands before deciding upon my speakers. I thought I would go for the JBL Studio 530’s or the Def Tech SM-55’s, and these are much bigger and heavier, so I bought a stand that could support over twice their weight. The stands cost me almost as much as the speakers (today, the stands cost more than the R5Bi’s). Great stands and look wonderful, but a complete waste for my needs for the diminutive R5Bi’s :).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts