AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just getting in to HT for the first time and need some help. Have already chosen a front L, C, R and now need some help trying to figure our where surrounds would go?

If I understand correctly left and right surrounds should be slightly forward of my seating position as opposed to directly left/right of my ears or behind me.

Furthermore it would appear they’re supposed to be at ear level of my seating position?

Regardless this will not be allowed due to the better half. She has requested high on the wall or in the ceiling.

So my question is what would be the best placement of the surrounds given her perimeters? I understand I’ll probably be giving up some performance, I’m just trying to figure out the “best of what’s available”

Below is a panoramic view from exactly where I’ll be seated.

The next pic is the same thing but with red dots where she has initially requested the speakers go. That being said feel free to suggest somewhere else that’s better if it meets the requirements of being high on the wall or in the ceiling.

Last pic is from the opposite end of the room with my back to the Tv looking towards my seated position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a similar problem and mounted my Super Twos to some brackets around 71 inches from floor aiming slightly down ATM over the lamps on either side of the couch against wall. So anything is possible. Nothing perfect here for sure. Surrounds are 20' apart. :):)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
if you are sitting directly against the back wall, your options are limited and compromised.

DO NOT put them at head level. put em up higher on the wall, a bit forward of your head and aimed back just little = at the wall behind your head. tilt em down just a little.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
how about a REGULAR pic from your seat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you are sitting directly against the back wall, your options are limited and compromised.

DO NOT put them at head level. put em up higher on the wall, a bit forward of your head and aimed back just little = at the wall behind your head. tilt em down just a little.

To make sure I’m on the same page..... where the red dots are in my second pic is pretty much where I want them then as long as they are angled down and pointed at the wall over my respective shoulders?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
To make sure I’m on the same page..... where the red dots are in my second pic is pretty much where I want them then as long as they are angled down and pointed at the wall over my respective shoulders?
yes. i would move em a tick forwards. but really, its not a big deal.

the pano shots. it makes the room look like something it is not.

got a sub yet ? getting one ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes. i would move em a tick forwards. but really, its not a big deal.

the pano shots. it makes the room look like something it is not.

got a sub yet ? getting one ?

My bad on pano shot. In my head it made the most sense but i could see how it would be confusing if you’ve never been in my house before

Was gifted a paradigm 8” from my father as he upgraded and had no use for it. I’ll use that at first because free is better than nothing but already know it won’t be big enough for the space. I’ll upgrade a few months down the road after the Christmas season bills have passed. Also have zero idea where to put the sub...

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
free = good. put it as close to your seat as possible. aim it directly at the seat. behind under that lamp in the corner.

how far is your seat from the tv ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
free = good. put it as close to your seat as possible. aim it directly at the seat. behind under that lamp in the corner.

how far is your seat from the tv ?

Oh nice! There’s definitely space behind the end table. I’ll be able to point it directly at the couch.

Seat to TV = 17ft

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Haha, you and I feel the same way about that. The Mrs won’t let me bring the couch into the room :/
as soon as i saw 17', i knew that. but "it is what it is'

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
She doesn’t want the couch to cover up or be forward of the fire place because the fire place is “a focal point”.

Shoot me now lol
LOL

she does have a point.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
ever thought to put the tv over the fireplace ? it will be somewhat higher, but A LOT closer.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
so do we. that is why there is a 32" in the kitchen. 32's are about $150 these days.

BAMM

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so do we. that is why there is a 32" in the kitchen. 32's are about $150 these days.

BAMM

I like your thought process but I had to damn near sell my soul to be allowed to have a toaster on the counter so I can only
Imagine what it would cost me to get green lighter for a tv in the kitchen lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She’s asked me to inquire about in-ceiling speakers just to make sure we’re exploring all of “our “ options.....

Could I do something like run two of these in ceiling in front of the seating position offset to my right and left and then have them pointed back at the wall behind me at their preset 45 degree angle downward?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts