AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am preparing the plans for my new home, and it came down now to placement of speakers. I don't know if the questions are a lot so sorry for that:

1. are there speakers for movies that would be placed just around the TV give adequate sound? A 2.1 system or a sound bar? The problem is that at the back the speakers can only be placed at about 2.5 meters from ground, thus from what i read in the forum this is not a good height.

2. I want to place speakers for just music in my living room. What would be an ideal setting? Just 2 speakers on one side? 4, one at each corner? One at each side? i don't want to have a woofer, so there are speakers that could give adequate sound themselves right?

3. What would you reckon is better based on experience? Holes in walls and put speakers in? Or put speakers on the wall with a stand?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After last night's long hours search, i understood that definitely in wall speakers should be avoided... So that is one trouble our of the way!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If you are not going to have a subwoofer, good-quality floorstanding speakers such as the Monitor Audio Silver RX-8 or the PSB Image T6 would be your best choice.

If floorstanding speakers are not an option, then something like the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2 might be a good choice, using stands or wall-mounted shelves to place the speakers base about one meter above the floor.

If you are going to have the speakers close to the wall behind them , choose a front-ported speaker rather than a rear-ported speaker. The KEF Q300 is a good front-ported speaker. See the KEF Direct website.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekish  /t/1421780/placement-of-speakers#post_22249032

Hi,

1. are there speakers for movies that would be placed just around the TV give adequate sound? A 2.1 system or a sound bar?

I'm very happy with a 2.1 system for my 60" TV and also listening to music.

I've listened to some great 5.1, & 7.1 systems and while I enjoyed them, I am not that excited about what happens in their rear channels.
Quote:
The problem is that at the back the speakers can only be placed at about 2.5 meters from ground, thus from what i read in the forum this is not a good height.

Some of the best sounding surround systems I've ever heard used 100% soffit mounted speakers. I don't think that speaker height is all that important.

How do we hear the height of a sound source?

I think there are two major ways:

(1) We hear the comb filtering effects of the inevitable reflections off of the floor and/or ceiling.

(2) HRTFs (Head Related Transfer Function)

(1)The audible effects of Floor and Ceiling bounces are ideally minimized in a good listening room.

(2) Medial HRTFs (those related to the height of the source) Involves differences that are subtle enough that they are only obvious when they cause dynamic changes in timbre.

Bottom line, raising or lowering speakers are either manageable or ignorable, depending on the specific case.
Quote:
2. I want to place speakers for just music in my living room. What would be an ideal setting? Just 2 speakers on one side? 4, one at each corner? One at each side? i don't want to have a woofer, so there are speakers that could give adequate sound themselves right?

IMO the idea that it takes different systems to best reproduce music and movies is yet another Audiophile Myth. It's great for the commisioned sales guy who is trying to get you to buy two different sysetms, and good for the real estate agent who sells you the larger house with both music and movie rooms, but I think it does just about everybody else a disservice.

The goal of any reproduction system is accuracy. Ultimately, accuracy means the same thing whether the program material is music or drama. Why not stop screwing around and just go there?
Quote:
3. What would you reckon is better based on experience? Holes in walls and put speakers in? Or put speakers on the wall with a stand?

The worst things about in-wall speakers is that repositioning (on-site experimentation remains very important with speakers) them is pretty labor-intensive, The products that are available for the purpose tend to be mediocre. Nobody seems to really take them seriously.

The counterpoint is that flush mounting is often a very good way to maximize speaker accuracy by minimizing diffraction and time-delayed reflection effects. Here's your chance to be a pioneer, complete with the full complement of arrows sticking out of your back! ;-)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Typically, either aesthetic concerns drive one toward inwalls, or speaker cabinets throughout the room aren't a problem. Pick your poison and move forward accordingly.

In walls when properly optimized, implemented, can be perfectly fine and do address some of the major interference issues related to loudspeakers and their acoustic environment. However, as Arny layed out, flexibility after the fact is major surgery. There are some superbly capable offerings as well, ...stunningly powerful, w/all the nuance needed for whatever your tastes may be.

I'd not recommend recessed areas in the wall, to place a loudspeaker box into,....this creates all kinds of negative issues right off the bat. But prior to additional advice, what other info can you furnish regarding your situation? Front wall details, distances, heights, budget for all speakers including subwoofer system, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your help!

I will post some drawings and let you know what exactly i am thinking.

So if i an not going to have a subwoofer or amplifier, i would need to have large speakers?

i had in mind for outdoors small speakers that can be hanged on the wall.

Of course on the other side i can get speakers that all wires direct on one place were the amplifier would be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts