AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am still in the process of setting up my A/V system with my newly received Panny TCP50S1.

The attached are pictures of the layout of the room. I am thinking of placing the surround speakers on the rear wall, about 3 feet above the couch (see the spots marked S in the attached picture). I heard that the surround speakers should be above the ear level, when standing up. Should this be about OK?

Thanks in advance for your assistance....

thanks - Punda

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Go to dolby.com and have a look at their speaker placement guide. That should answer any placement questions.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
This is for a 5.1 system (as opposed to 7.1)? It may be okay, but at the sides of the listeners is also possible. It would be better to experiment by listening with your proposed arrangement before committing by making holes in walls.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much.

I checked the Dolby site, and it assume that one has a flat wall for speaker placement. Unfortunately, I do not have such a flat wall -- there is a section protruding out, and placing a speaker on that protruding section might affect the sound staging.

I've attached a floor plan, and indicated this protruding location -- which incidentally would have been ideal for the speakers.

And to Greg: good suggestion about experimenting with various positions before drilling a hole in the wall. In the absence of getting a stand high enough, how could I mount the speakers to achieve the desired surround effects without drilling a hole?

I would appreciate any further thoughts regarding a possible solution.

cheers, Punda

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/18151228

This is for a 5.1 system (as opposed to 7.1)? It may be okay, but at the sides of the listeners is also possible. It would be better to experiment by listening with your proposed arrangement before committing by making holes in walls.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PundaSmith /forum/post/18151397

In the absence of getting a stand high enough, how could I mount the speakers to achieve the desired surround effects without drilling a hole?

I use old speakers, since I have lots of them around. Boxes? Crates? Books? Surely you can find something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I can borrow a ladder. What do you have in mind I thought of ceiling install, but I don't think I can manage that - i have to seek permission from the condo owner before I go creeping in the attic.

I await your thoughts - Punda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/18152241

Do you have a step ladder, and able to borrow a second?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PundaSmith /forum/post/18153008

Yeah, I can borrow a ladder. What do you have in mind I thought of ceiling install, but I don't think I can manage that - i have to seek permission from the condo owner before I go creeping in the attic.

I await your thoughts - Punda

Can you just buy stands and put them on stands on the left and right of your couch?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brilliant ... I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/18157568

Using the step treads of the ladder to place your speakers at various heights so you can experiment for the proper placement, without needing to buy stands ahead of time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.