AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of dedicated builds, but I'm curious what best practices in regards to surround placement - relative to the walls.

I've seen my fair share of in wall speakers, but I'm never crazy about them. They always seem underwhelming (small). I've also seen wall mounted speakers..

But what's the best option, if designing a room from scratch, in terms of mounting? Specifically in a way, that they are hidden from plain view.

My understanding is that it's a bad idea to take a cabinet speaker and recess it - like an in wall speaker..... and that ideally floor standing/bookshelf speakers should have some distance away from the wall.

I've seen some theaters that have a fabric covered area - that extends out into the room a few inches or food - which sometimes seems to hide a surround.

For example, in this room, are the side surround speakers likely in wall? (assuming it has them)

And here, in Irv Kelman's, they might be hidden in the pillars??

How would you install/hide a larger speaker (as a surround), like say, a Seaton Sound Spark?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey Big,

What kind of speakers did you use, and how deep of a recess? The surrounds I want to use are 13" deep with the yoke. I was dreading making the columns that far into the room. Recessed box for the speakers sounds like a great idea. Did you just do a backerbox out of MDF?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,118 Posts
I didn't follow strict soundproofing design techniques on the recesses. I pretty much just framed a pocket during my wall framing and then cut a hole in my drywall and pushed it in as far as it would go. I then measured what was left sticking out and built the column to just cover the speaker.

I looked up the old plans for the Audax Home theater speakers http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1072230592 and the surrounds are 9-10 inches deep. I was able to stick at least 5 inches of the speaker in the recesses.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19578604

I didn't follow strict soundproofing design techniques on the recesses. I pretty much just framed a pocket during my wall framing and then cut a hole in my drywall and pushed it in as far as it would go.

So, it's partially recessed in the drywall...... Interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.