AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the placement of my center channel speaker. I have cabinet that sits under my screen that houses my a/v equipment (see attachement). If possible, I would like to place the speaker inside of the cabinet. I've seen a couple people mention that placing a speaker inside a cabinet is a big no no. I've done plenty of searching on this forum and can't find any related discussions. Are there specific things I can do to improve the sound quality of a speaker that is placed within a cabinet? Should I even consider placing it inside the cabinet? I do notice that the sound is hollow and washed out.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
A lot of CC speakers are placed in cabinets - but you did say yours sounded hollow and washed out. What make/model CC do you have?

You could try placing small rubber feet under the front edge to angle the speaker up towards the listening position. Try to align your 3 front speakers in a plane slightly in front of the screen. Make sure you properly calibrate it (SPL, delay, etc.).

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not yet done so, but my center will be going into a cabinet (as will my other fronts). The advice I have gotten is to try to "fill" the cabinet as much as possible. For me, this will largely come through design as the cabinet is being custom-made. But I have been told that putting some kind of acoustic foam or even just some books or something to keep the cabinet from becoming an echo chamber will help. Basically, the tighter the fit, the better. I'm no expert, so some others may have better ideas.

John

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speaker is a B&W CC6 S2. I'm running B&W 601 S3's in the front. I have properly calibrated the speaker but the timbre just doesn't match the fronts. I'll try raising the front and see if that helps. I'm also going to try and seal off the chamber that the speaker sits in as much as possible. When I auditioned the speaker, it seemed to match the 601's nicely. Recently, though, I haven't been very happy with it. I think it may be too small. It could also be that my receiver is underpowering it. Thanks for all of the advice! I'll let you guys know how it sounds after the modificaitons.

David

·
Registered
383 Posts
For that particular model, it may not matter what you do because even under more ideal conditions the CC6 was not a very good match for the B&W 600 series speakers that I auditioned, even though it was the recommended configuration. It uses a different driver configuration, a different tweeter, and it's less efficient than your mains.

You might have better luck going with the LCR600, since that center speaker uses identical drivers as your mains. Otherwise, have you tried switching the center speaker off? In drastically mismatched situations, a phantom center created by two properly positioned and matched speakers is better sounding than a mismatched speaker in a less than ideal enclosure in an off-axis position.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked into upgrading the center channel but I would like to wait until I can upgrade the entire set. In the meantime, a LCR600 might work. I did audition this speaker awhile back but was offered the CC6 for a great price. I don't want to go with the phantom center because of the poor off-axis imaging. I frequently watch with 4 or more people spread across the room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.