AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to build a sub into a wall, ample room behind in attic to place cabinet and have driver/ports flush with sheet rock, or close to it inside the room. Would I be losing output by not having the entire enclosure inside the room? Planning a 15" drover and marty box basically.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Lots of good information on infinite baffle designs can be found here:

https://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com

Once you hear an IB sub you'll never want to go back to box sub. Massive output and minimal distortion.

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Answering your original Q, box inside or outside the room doesn't matter. There will be a slight phase differential for the width of the sub, but that is small enough should be negligible. Before you drill the hole though make sure you are happy with that location. U followed down-your-knees procedure for sub placement I hope.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I too am tired of my AV room looking like a speaker showroom for rock band members. I was looking to get rid of my 4 TC 18's that are in 75" tall ported boxes and replace with a 4- 24" infinite baffle set-up that will only show a rectangular slot at 2 locations of a side wall. The subs mount two at a time to a box shown here. They can be mounted in the ceiling too and won't have cone sag because they mount perpendicular to the ceiling. The Stereo Interity IB 24 is ideal.:

I think such a set-up will need a lower crossover frequency so plan on mains that are flat to 50hz or so. This can be built as a single driver set-up and will work as well as your ported 15 idea

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
I've not looked into them before, I will take a look!
Yes! Infinite baffle is totally your friend here. I'm running 4 IB 15's venting in from my gear closet. (See images below).
At a friend's we used his garage as his baffle and built a manifold with 2 18's facing each other. All you saw inside was a large heater vent that looked like a return air. You could easily do the same thing in your attic.

Here are some manifold designs several use attics:
http://ibsubwoofers.x10host.com/page2IB-Gallery.html

I strongly recommend going with Fi IB3 drivers built especially for this purpose. Infinite baffle has such a nice sound once you hear it, it'll ruin all other subs for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
Another vote for IB. I am using 12 of the $30 JBL's in two manifolds and I have great sound quality and significantly more headroom then I need.
Did you make a build thread?
Unfortunately not. I tend to get too excited with a build to get it done and don't do much documenting.

My manifolds were originally designed for two of the Fi IB18's in each but modified to include 6 of the JBL's when they were on sale. The Winisd sims showed they were not ideal but with 12, it works well.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Unfortunately not. I tend to get too excited with a build to get it done and don't do much documenting.

My manifolds were originally designed for two of the Fi IB18's in each but modified to include 6 of the JBL's when they were on sale. The Winisd sims showed they were not ideal but with 12, it works well.
I bet it sounded great. I have only heard IB in a car and not in a house. I'm told it's a higher sound quality. From what I've heard with dipoles, I'm convinced it is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another vote for IB. I am using 12 of the $30 JBL's in two manifolds and I have great sound quality and significantly more headroom then I need.

Is the back side of your setup sealed or opened up to the Attic ? If it’s opened up to the attic, how much of the sound bleeds though to the rest of the house ? I have a great place to place mine , but worried about the low end going all though the rest of the house and also going outside as well. My house is pretty sound dead to the outside because of my solid concrete walls
This is my tv room, right before we moved everything into it
As you can see I have pretty high ceilings
On the right wall I can mount the IB system there, all the way down to about 32” from the top of the side wall. But that’s right over one of the bedrooms. That’s way I have been hesitant to build something right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
652 Posts
I bet it sounded great. I have only heard IB in a car and not in a house. I'm told it's a higher sound quality. From what I've heard with dipoles, I'm convinced it is.
In my experience with sealed and ported, IB sounds the cleanest and most effortless. I also built an IB sub for music and would really like to try the GR research/Rythmik IB servo subs.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
Is the back side of your setup sealed or opened up to the Attic ? If it’️s opened up to the attic, how much of the sound bleeds though to the rest of the house ?
Yes, the back wave fires into the attic. My house is a little over 800 sqf so if I am listening at my usual -15 db, no where is safe from bass. I think most of the house shakes at certain frequencies/amplitudes. Surprisingly, there isn't too much sound outside of the house though.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have not seen a Devastator thrown in an attic yet, the mouth would make it a smaller entry hole into the room vs a direct radiator. If you ran boards the width of the cabinet across the joists and glued them in place so it is air tight, then put weather stripping along the top of the boards you could keep the pressure in the room, not the attic. Just another bad idea :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes! Infinite baffle is totally your friend here. I'm running 4 IB 15's venting in from my gear closet. (See images below).
At a friend's we used his garage as his baffle and built a manifold with 2 18's facing each other. All you saw inside was a large heater vent that looked like a return air. You could easily do the same thing in your attic.

Here are some manifold designs several use attics:
http://ibsubwoofers.x10host.com/page2IB-Gallery.html

I strongly recommend going with Fi IB3 drivers built especially for this purpose. Infinite baffle has such a nice sound once you hear it, it'll ruin all other subs for you.
My brother's are on page 5. He hid them in his entertainment center. Still going strong today!

And the top pic is my brother installing mine. Nice legs huh? LOL
http://ibsubwoofers.x10host.com/page2IB-IBmanifold.html

One more edit. On page 2 it shows how we used rare earth magnets to keep the grill in place, well I ended up love seeing the subs I never left it on. But it worked great and never fell off.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cabinet would be ported, but seal in the back. Essentially a full marty box with the front sitting flush with the wall, sheet rock and trimmed out around it. Driver and ports firing into the room, cabinet sitting in attic.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
My IB 15's go to 5hz *flat*. The IB sound is super natural and very deep without any boominess.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts