AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is common knowledge, but after setting my brightness correctly, I had very very faint little red flecks instead of pure black: plasma dither? (thanks to redwolf4k for poiting this out)

Turning brightness further down just moved the problem upwards to video level 17 (16 turning completely black).

Anyway, I adjusted a control called W/B LOW R and setting this at minus 2 corrected the issue. I know that is a white balance adjustment. It would be interesting to know why this control solved the issue

Also, All levels upwards from 16 still have lots of dither (mainly green flecks but I can clearly see red one's too. Not too sure about blue.). Am I supposed to eliminate that too?

cheers,

Jeroen

·
Registered
3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 /forum/post/20764624

I adjusted a control called W/B LOW R and setting this at minus 2 corrected the issue. I know that is a white balance adjustment. It would be interesting to know why this control solved the issue

Low-end white balance controls are similar to brightness for red, green, and blue. They will usually affect where the set begins producing a color, but they're primarily used for adjusting the shade of gray the TV produces.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like the proper control then instead of lowering overall brightness and thereby crushing blacks (would only have been a mild crush but still better not if you can get around it).

I've put up a film (Season of the With) and although reference black is spot/fleck free, a normal film still produces a lot of green fuzzy flecks in dark area's that are above reference black. No surprise because all the bars above level 16 have green flecks.

Crushing level 17 actually gives a better picture as it reduces the green flecks. Just to make sure, this is dithering and I'll never be able to get rid of it no matter how good the set is calibrated?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.