AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Netflix probably has the most material in 4K. You will not see it unless you have the premium membership. Amazon prime a quite a few shows in 4K HDR as well. Jack ryan, Goliath and Sneaky Pete come to mind right away. Then you need a 4K blu ray player and there are hundreds of discs.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I am curious.
What do you guys get your 4K sources?
I checked Rogers, my cable TV/internet service provider, has very little 4K contents. Most of the popular channels are 1080p.
Also, not sure if Netflix Canada has 4K sources.
Re "popular channels", 4K or 1080p are rare occasions in North America. 1080i, 720p mostly. Streamers such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. do 4K. Netflix charges additional for. 4K UHD and 1080p discs are considerably better than corresponding streams.

Your 4K TV will enhance whatever it's fed now, and is future ready to a large degree.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I checked a few more website.
X900F is on sales everywhere, like $3998CAN, same price even at Sony.ca.
I think there is a good chance that the prices of X900F and X950G will drop further on Boxing Day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I checked a few more website.

X900F is on sales everywhere, like $3998CAN, same price even at Sony.ca.

I think there is a good chance that the prices of X900F and X950G will drop further on Boxing Day.
Samsung Q60 and Q70 series went on sale today if you didn't notice. Multiple retailers have them at pretty solid prices including the 85". I actually ordered one for myself today. Not sure about availability in Canada, sorry.
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/508960

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Samsung Q60 and Q70 series went on sale today if you didn't notice. Multiple retailers have them at pretty solid prices including the 85". I actually ordered one for myself today. Not sure about availability in Canada...
Samsung Q70 is now $4200CAN in Best Buy Canada.
I can be wrong. Samsung Q70 is equivalent to a Sony X900F which is $4000CAN.
So, the prices are somewhat aligned considering the exchange rate.

I prefer Sony. No particular reason, just I have been using Sony TV all my life . LOL.

One exciting news is they finally released the nVidia Shield......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Samsung Q70 is now $4200CAN in Best Buy Canada.
I can be wrong. Samsung Q70 is equivalent to a Sony X900F which is $4000CAN.
So, the prices are somewhat aligned considering the exchange rate.

I prefer Sony. No particular reason, just I have been using Sony TV all my life . LOL.

One exciting news is they finally released the nVidia Shield......
4200? Are you including HST? Its listed at 3799. I was debating between the Q70 and the X900f and the x950g. When i started my research the Q70 was priced higher, but when it went lower, it became a bit of a no brainer. I found the blacks much better compared to the Sony. Also, the Q70 is available in an 85 inch size.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
4200? Are you including HST? Its listed at 3799. I was debating between the Q70 and the X900f and the x950g. When i started my research the Q70 was priced higher, but when it went lower, it became a bit of a no brainer. I found the blacks much better compared to the Sony. Also, the Q70 is available in an 85 inch size.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-85-4k-uhd-hdr-qled-tizen-smart-tv-qn85q70rafxzc/13698855
It is now $4,334CAN today!
Model: QN85Q70RAFXZC

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yes, I would be buying a 85-inch TV.

Not sure if I want to buy extended warranty. I bought it for my last 2 TV and never did use it. For my KDL65W850A, the extended warranty was $399 from FutureShop!

For the same TV, I adopted the calibration settings from some members of this forum and it worked out just fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I did some research on the 2 TV , X900F is a 2018 model and X950G a 2019. Of course I want the newer model but it is $1,500CAN more!

On one hand, X950G is a newer TV and is better for gaming. I do not game so the only benefit for me is the wider viewing angle. Am I right? Am I missing some new features if I go with X900F?

Most important for me is picture quality. So far, TV for me is just a display peripheral. I have a soundbar and I never install apps directly onto the TV. I have an Android box (Mecool from China) and a FireTV stick which I’ll replace by the new nVidia Shield or Amazon Cube.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did some research on the 2 TV , X900F is a 2018 model and X950G a 2019. Of course I want the newer model but it is $1,500CAN more!

On one hand, X950G is a newer TV and is better for gaming. I do not game so the only benefit for me is the wider viewing angle. Am I right? Am I missing some new features if I go with X900F?

Most important for me is picture quality. So far, TV for me is just a display peripheral. I have a soundbar and I never install apps directly onto the TV. I have an Android box (Mecool from China) and a FireTV stick which I’ll replace by the new nVidia Shield or Amazon Cube.
In my opinion, you get better bang for buck from the x900f. The PQ is as good (if not better in some cases) as the 950G. however, if you NEED wide angle then 950G is a better bet. Depends on your viewing situation. Also, the OS is much zippier on the 950G compared to the 900F. Having said that, the Samsung was snappier than both of them.

While the 950G is newer, I wouldn't consider it more future proof than the 900f. Neither has HDMI 2.1 for example.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Ultimately, you have to decide whether it is worth $1500 more. But, generally speaking the G has a much better processor, a little brighter, has the wide angle viewing layer(on the 75 and 85), and faster operating system/menu operation. Finally, if you are into calibration, the G has full CMS controls and two ISF modes and 20pt grey scale adjustment options. There are a few more things that I can't recall now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Thanks for your information.

Not sure if faster UI means too much to me. Instead of installing apps directly to the TV, I would install them (only a few) to an Android box.
As for calibration, I am a set-it-once-and-forget kind of guy. For my current TV, I recall that I did some calibrations in the beginning but I did not touch it for years.

One thing I can see with the X900F, being an older model, Sony will halt the software updates one year earlier.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Do you guys install apps to your TV?
Are you concerned about badly-written apps may impact the performance of the TV?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
FWIW rtings tested KDL65W850C in 2015. I'm guessing it's the same TV as KDL65W850A, "C" for Canada, "A" for US.

Amongst their findings: 4.2 rating for Viewing Angle; LCD Type: VA; Color Shift : 20 °; Brightness : 30 °; Black Level : 18 °.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w850c
Just a note here, those aren't the same TV at all. Just Like modern Sony TVs, the tailing letter on a model number denotes year of release (e.g. "F" for 2018 and "G" for 2019). The W850 "A" is a 2013 release while the W850 "C" is from 2015. From what I recall, the KDL-65W850A was a much higher end model, and only came in one size, with Triluminos WCG, and Sony's effective edge-LED local dimming. The "C" model was less expensive and didn't carry any of those features.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, I would be buying a 85-inch TV.

Not sure if I want to buy extended warranty. I bought it for my last 2 TV and never did use it. For my KDL65W850A, the extended warranty was $399 from FutureShop!

For the same TV, I adopted the calibration settings from some members of this forum and it worked out just fine.
Get the extended warranty. My own experience and others in my community is that Sony's superior processing and performance comes at a price - expect 1 in 5 to have a catastrophic failure (i.e. non-repairable) within 2 years after expiration of the warranty. Out-of-the-box and within warranty Sony quality is excellent - what is reported on most review sites.

That said, all current 4k displays have some measure of quality issues. It's a trade-off between performance and total cost of ownership - including the warranty.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Just a note here, those aren't the same TV at all. Just Like modern Sony TVs, the tailing letter on a model number denotes year of release (e.g. "F" for 2018 and "G" for 2019). The W850 "A" is a 2013 release while the W850 "C" is from 2015. From what I recall, the KDL-65W850A was a much higher end model, and only came in one size, with Triluminos WCG, and Sony's effective edge-LED local dimming. The "C" model was less expensive and didn't carry any of those features.
Thank you for the update. Bringing up specs for both, I do see they're from 2013 and 2015. The former Edge-lit with Motionflow 480, and the latter Direct-lit with Motionflow 800.

With the specs I saw for both, C shows some advancements from A. Neither are in your described sphere. I do note Sony using Triluminos for several levels of models. For broader color, (from info below) the 9000 series and 900 series models led the way in 2013. Cheers. :)

Related:

http://nothinggeek.com/triluminos-display-tv-by-sony/

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Just checked Sony 85-inches in Best Buy Canada site.
X850G. $3K CAN
X900F. $4K
X950F. $6K

I have to decide amongst these options .
The X900F has been on sales for $4K for weeks. I think prices of these TV will further come down on Boxing Day. It will be sweet if I can get the X950G around $4.5K; not sure that I want to get X900F which is 2 years old.

BTW. Prices of Visions Canada are similar to Best Buy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Black Friday came and gone.
85X900F: $4K CAN
85X950G: $5.2K
These are the same prices even before Black Friday. I was hoping that the price of X950G would go down to $4.5K. Guess I have to wait further.

Do you guys mount your large TV on walls?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Black Friday came and gone.
85X900F: $4K CAN
85X950G: $5.2K
These are the same prices even before Black Friday. I was hoping that the price of X950G would go down to $4.5K. Guess I have to wait further.

Do you guys mount your large TV on walls?
When I got mine - I had asked whether it was worth waiting for Black Friday. I bought mid-october and waiting another month was not an issue. But the bestbuy sales guy told me that he would honor a black friday price even though it was 45 days away. He also mentioned that black friday deals usually are no smaller TVs and the larger/higher end ones don't go on doorbuster type deals for Black Friday or Boxing day. I actually half wrote that in an earlier post when you mentioned waiting, but maybe I didnt because I wasnt sure how much to believe and didnt want to unintentionally mislead you. However, I read in another post here that someone in Canada negotiated the 85 Samsung Q70 for 3200ish. If you want a better price, I would recommend waiting till early next year as the 2020 models will make the 2019s cheaper. But if you cant, you might as well buy next week. I'm sure you will get a better price that whats posted online if you negotiate (perhaps try to get the best deal between the x900f and the Q70, and then go with whichever works best for you).

41 - 60 of 75 Posts