AVS Forum banner

Which issues are you experiencing with your Planar PD7130 or PD7150?

• Picture options grayed out when using DVI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De-interlacing options grayed out when using DVI

• Screen tearing when using 1080p24 signals

• Garbled image when using 1080p60 over DVI

• Hyperactive cooling fan

• Occasional image flicker (seems to be caused by lamp or bad color-wheel sync)

• Poor remote performance (registering commands twice or not at all)

• Firmware version not showing up in status menu

• Input and signal resolution label getting stuck on screen

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to help out Richum a little in his compilation of data for contacting Planar about some of the common issues many of us are experiencing with these particular projectors.

It probably goes without saying, but please don't respond to the poll if you don't have one of these particular models of projector.

On to the poll.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After you vote, it might be helpful to post a little message to keep this poll popping up near the top while we're trying to collect information.

Thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks naschbac for putting this up.

I have several of these issues but I would also like to make it clear to others that this pj has a beautiful picture. It is very sharp, crystal clear and HD material looks freakin great!

Planar, fix these issues and learn from it. Give us a firmware upgrade and you will find some very happy customers

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I completely agree about the quality of the image. It's quite spectacular. Great optics for superb sharpness, great flexibility in placement for a DLP projector, excellent color calibration from the factory, greyscale tracking is excellent as well.

Many of us got these for a very good deal I suspect. Based on the image quality I'd buy it again, despite the issues listed above (excepting flicker and fan noise). If I had paid MSRP, I'd be very disappointed, as other players (Marantz, JVC, Sharp, etc.) offer great alternatives at similar prices.

My concern is that I'll definitely be upgrading to 1080p, and based on these seemingly resolvable issues (presuming they go unresolved) I'd have a very hard time considering Planar as the manufacturer of my next purchase pending any known issues, because I'd have little faith they'd be resolved.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll second that. The picture looks great out of the box. Best one I've owned (too bad it's not 1080p). The horizontal and vertical lens shift is worth every penny. The greyed out controls don't bother me much since it's par for the course with digital connections. The lamp flickering causes me some concern though and 1080p would be nice if it worked right.

BTW I also have a W5000 that needs a serious calibration to reach it's full potential. Wish I could take the best of both units and put them in one PJ. I'd be in PJ Nirvana.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceXX /forum/post/15501099

I'll second that. The picture looks great out of the box. Best one I've owned (too bad it's not 1080p). The horizontal and vertical lens shift is worth every penny. The greyed out controls don't bother me much since it's par for the course with digital connections. The lamp flickering causes me some concern though and 1080p would be nice if it worked right.

BTW I also have a W5000 that needs a serious calibration to reach it's full potential. Wish I could take the best of both units and put them in one PJ. I'd be in PJ Nirvana.

I put 150 hours on it my first month. The picture is very good, but when I go watch my Marantz 12S4 it makes me really appreciate what the 12S4 can do. I am viewing both projectors on the same size screen and viewing distance is with in 6" of being the same. The Planar 7130 has the advantage of being in an all black room. Best $600 projector that I have seen.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks for you help, this is so complete and the descriptions of the issues are well stated. I think I can use this to refer Planar to after I have contacted them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just voted in this poll...great idea!! Thanks to all who worked to put this together...and also adding my voice that this is an incredible projector (PD7130). It's making me spend more $$ on leftover HD and BD as well as DVD...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Looks like we have had 20 folks respond to the poll and about 5 answer the other threads with details such as firmware number ect. We should be about ready to contact planar.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmelkon /forum/post/15516093

Great job RICHUM,strength in numbers!

Thanks and special thanks to naschbac for starting the Poll. I will compose an email to Planar and fire it off late Sunday afternoon.

I want to wait that long to see if we get any more issues/comments and since Planar will not read the email until Monday at the earliest it shouldn't hurt to wait. In my experience their email support is slow, meaning a week or more before I have gotten a reply.

After a little consideration, it may be that the deinterlace will not be enabled unless you feed the projector with 480i signals, then again we should have all responses indicate that. There could be more explanations for grayed out menu items such as color/tint adjustments, hopefully they will comment soon.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey not a problem. I'd like to get these issues fixed like anybody else.

Two issues to note:

1) A lack of a vote does not necessarily mean the lack of an issue; as some people may have been unable to test for certain problems (1080p compatibility, etc.)

2) You're going to meet resistance in the fact that Planar claims these projectors do not have field upgradable firmware. I find that claim somewhat suspect however, given the presence of the RS-232 port.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naschbac /forum/post/15518023

Hey not a problem. I'd like to get these issues fixed like anybody else.

Two issues to note:

1) A lack of a vote does not necessarily mean the lack of an issue; as some people may have been unable to test for certain problems (1080p compatibility, etc.)

2) You're going to meet resistance in the fact that Planar claims these projectors do not have field upgradable firmware. I find that claim somewhat suspect however, given the presence of the RS-232 port.

I guess we should remember that these projectors are marketed to the high end and usually through boutique dealers who also install and service. So they might be field upgradeable by professional dealer/installers. In which case Planar could provide the service through those dealers, but to be sure there would be a cost involved. Who pays?

I have every confidence that most of us could perform the flashing of the EEPROM with our computer if given adequate instructions.

·
Registered
855 Posts
To let everyone know, I have not yet sent the email to Planar support. I have it in draft but I want to make sure I cover all topics. I will be receiving my 7150 back from Planar tonight and I will hook it up and test with several different connections to determine for certain that I have not missed any items. After that I will complete the email and send it.

I read in 7130/7150 owners thread that someone contacted Planar and they stated that the firmware is not considered field upgradeable, because so many had been trashed even when attempted by authorized dealer techs.

It appears if they agree to issue new firmware that it will require sending the unit in. I doubt that is going to happen unless we are willing to cover the cost. Just a guess on my part.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
My 7130 now has the high speed fan problem. I am going to have to contact Planar for repair. I get my new driver for my DIY sub today (box built, painted and ready for driver). I am going to wait a few days so that I can at least see a movie or two with my new sub.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/15602906

My 7130 now has the high speed fan problem. I am going to have to contact Planar for repair. I get my new driver for my DIY sub today (box built, painted and ready for driver). I am going to wait a few days so that I can at least see a movie or two with my new sub.

When you contact them it might be wise to see if they have a newer firmware, which I doubt, but it might get the ball rolling.

Also before you send it in, I recommend that you photograph its condition.

Mine arrived at the TSC Depot in Milpitas Calif. with some minor scratches on the case (or so they say) and they put a hold on shipment to determine if I wanted to pay for the replacement parts because of the scratches, I declined after they emailed photos and I saw how minor they were.

Once it is in the system and you want to check its status it is best done by choosing the RMA option when you call them. Usually RMA will then give you a direct number (not toll free) to the RMA department and you won't spend hours on hold, also RMA is very good about answering email.

Just my experience, as they say YMMV.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richum /forum/post/15603392

When you contact them it might be wise to see if they have a newer firmware, which I doubt, but it might get the ball rolling.

Also before you send it in, I recommend that you photograph its condition.

Mine arrived at the TSC Depot in Milpitas Calif. with some minor scratches on the case (or so they say) and they put a hold on shipment to determine if I wanted to pay for the replacement parts because of the scratches, I declined after they emailed photos and I saw how minor they were.

Once it is in the system and you want to check its status it is best done by choosing the RMA option when you call them. Usually RMA will then give you a direct number (not toll free) to the RMA department and you won't spend hours on hold, also RMA is very good about answering email.

Just my experience, as they say YMMV.

Thanks. I am glad that this is not my only projector. I would hate to be with out a projector for very long.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I sent my PD7130 in to Planar one week ago, on Tuesday. I call Planar today to check on the repair status and the lovely lady on the phone says they have NOT received the unit...

Holy crap...

I have a UPS tracking info confirming the delivery on Thursday of last week.

TSC is not part of Planar, it is an outside company, right Richum?

·
Banned
1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 /forum/post/15603670

I sent my PD7130 in to Planar one week ago, on Tuesday. I call Planar today to check on the repair status and the lovely lady on the phone says they have NOT received the unit...

Holy crap...

I have a UPS tracking info confirming the delivery on Thursday of last week.

TSC is not part of Planar, it is an outside company, right Richum?

This is what it said when I searched the address:

Technical Service Corp

(Optoma Technology)

725 Sycamore Dr, Milpitas, CA 95035-7411

It looks like this projector is an Optoma after all. I called today to send it back in because the unit would power up, show the logo screen, then I would get about 30 seconds of TV, then it would go black.

·
Banned
1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richum /forum/post/15602201

To let everyone know, I have not yet sent the email to Planar support. I have it in draft but I want to make sure I cover all topics. I will be receiving my 7150 back from Planar tonight and I will hook it up and test with several different connections to determine for certain that I have not missed any items. After that I will complete the email and send it.

I read in 7130/7150 owners thread that someone contacted Planar and they stated that the firmware is not considered field upgradeable, because so many had been trashed even when attempted by authorized dealer techs.

It appears if they agree to issue new firmware that it will require sending the unit in. I doubt that is going to happen unless we are willing to cover the cost. Just a guess on my part.

They don't even pay return shipping for warranty repairs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts