AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward in watching this on the weekend. Looks quite good. Im sure it will satisfy many in the PQ and AQ. Well Hopefully.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I am curious of this one as well. Looks fun.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
Looks good from the trailer. The reviews are bad but I still end up liking some movies despite bad reviews. Let us know what you think.

·
Premium Member
24,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought someone should have it by know I'm getting mine from the U.S which should arrive on Friday. Did not realise it got bad reviews but then again I've not always agreed with these reviewers either.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I still want to see this. I been following this for years. Probably before they got a film deal. They were posting renders online for a long time. They were also so cool looking. Too bad from reviews the movie didnt turn out well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Saw it in the theater with my neice and nephew, was nothing else to see at the time. Somewhat entertaining, but by no means memorable. Just a rental for sure, but some people might like it enough to buy.

·
Premium Member
24,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maingon /forum/post/18274424

I still want to see this. I been following this for years. Probably before they got a film deal. They were posting renders online for a long time. They were also so cool looking. Too bad from reviews the movie didnt turn out well.

Let us know how it's like on blu Ray.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
My sister, her husband, and their 4 year old daughter all LOVED this film in the theater so I rented it from netflix and will be watching this evening. The trailer looked pretty cute so I'm hoping to be as entertained as they were.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've just decided to give this title a blind buy. I saw it at the store this morning and it was surprisingly inexpensive. It hadn't actually been on my radar.

I read the reviews and watched the trailer. Just based on the descriptions, it looks like it may hit the sweet spot with me although the reviews are mixed to negative. I have a huge weakspot for 1950's culture and classic sci-fi references which, apparently, are common in this film.

So I'm HOPING this may click with me where it didn't click with many reviewers. I might also add that, in my 186 BDs, I don't have a single computer animated film (nothing out there appeals to me). So this will be my first.

I'm heading back to the store in a few minutes and I'll report back after viewing (tonight, with luck).

·
Registered
6,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/18278662

...I saw it at the store this morning and it was surprisingly inexpensive...

Where and how much? Places like BB, Target, and Amazon have it around the $25 range which isn't inexpensive at all.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm in Canada and our Best Buy and Future Shop both had it for $19.99CDN which is an excellent price for a new release of a recent theatrical film.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
I miss the $19.99 days. Walmart was the leader of that in holiday 09 on all the popular releases but those days are over for the time being.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/18280092

I miss the $19.99 days. Walmart was the leader of that in holiday 09 on all the popular releases but those days are over for the time being.

My Walmart is cheaper than Best Buy (though I usually order from Amazon, there's always the impulse buy while out shopping...), but the selection there has all but disappeared. They have new releases, and that's pretty much it. Really good selection at BB, though. Walmart used to have a good one, as well...much, much bigger than they have now. In case there's a known issue with Walmart and BD's out there, I obviously haven't heard about it yet.

I had someone tell me they enjoyed Area 51 when they saw it. I'll rent it first.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just picked it up at Future Shop for $19.99.

The fact is that I buy 95% catalogue titles so even twenty bucks is on the high side for me
. But that's a real good price for a non-catalogue title and there's no telling how long it may last. Sometimes you get a great one day price and then it goes up a few bucks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok...I just watched it.

My verdict: I absolutely loved it!

Essentially, this movie worked for me the way I hoped it might. The movie is steeped in 1950's and 60's pop culture and sensibilities. Well, so am I. If you REALLY know your stuff, you can be endlessly entertained by the pop culture references. They are subtle...probably too subtle for most. As a huge fan of the original Lost in Space TV show, I chuckled at a line from the first episode (circa 1965) but most of the population (including movie reviewers) wouldn't pick up on it. Catch lines from Bob Dylan; see creatures from Fiend Without a Face; note some subtle Vietnam era humour.

As an admitted sci-fi geek, I could identify with the "kids" and their space toy collections and comic book shop. As the owner of a '59 Corvette, I loved the styling of the vehicles with great care an attention paid to things like the unusual turquoise colors that you only saw on cars of that era.

I have to say that I hate it when somebody tells me that I "didn't get it". But I must honestly say to you that I think a lot of people probably didn't "get" this movie. I don't say that as an insult to their taste or intelligence. However, full appreciation of this movie really requires an appreciation of the pop culture of a past era. I never "got" Avatar...that doesn't make me an idiot...it's just not a sensibility that I identify with.

For me, this is really an adult film. I can't speak for kids. I don't know if they'd like it (though I don't know why they wouldn't). As somebody who is 51 years old, I see many homages here to MY youth. If you are 31 years old, you'll likely miss a few things.

As I mentioned, this is the first CGI animated Blu-ray I've ever owned so I can't compare it to others. What I can tell you is that it had a very high bitrate AVC encode. Whenever I checked it, it was in the high 20's or, more often, the 30's Mbps. It looked great to my inexperienced (with CGI on Blu-ray) eyes.

The DTS-HD Master Audio was just right. It was front heavy but had nice direction across the front field. There were periods of thunderous bass. Dialogue was clear as a bell. Everything was well balanced so you could listen to dialogue without having the special effects sounds blow you out of the chair.

One thing to note: If you are using a PS3 with an older firmware (as I was...I had 2.96), the disc will require an update. The update is on the disc so there is no problem. Just click a couple of buttons to accept the update and you'll be in business.

I guess my final word would be that this is a movie that will, as I said in an earlier post, hit the sweet spot for certain viewers. I'm certainly one of those viewers. For some of you, the carefully crafted and spoofed world of 50 years ago won't connect.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
^ Thanks for the thoughts on it. Looking forward to seeing it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts