AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone watched the Planet Earth DVDs, either BBC which has been out for a while, or the newly released Discovery version, and the show on HDTV? If so, how does it compare? I've watched the show on HD, 1080i. I don't have BD or HD-DVD yet, so those aren't options.

Do the PE DVDs still look nice, or will anyone who's watched it in 1080i be a little disappointed? My DVD player does upscale to 1080i, but obviously the limitation here is the source.

· Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallst32 /forum/post/0

Has anyone watched the Planet Earth DVDs, either BBC which has been out for a while, or the newly released Discovery version, and the show on HDTV? If so, how does it compare? I've watched the show on HD, 1080i. I don't have BD or HD-DVD yet, so those aren't options.

Do the PE DVDs still look nice, or will anyone who's watched it in 1080i be a little disappointed? My DVD player does upscale to 1080i, but obviously the limitation here is the source.

I suspect that the best DVD will still disappoint those who've seen a show in 1080i. That's always been the case. 480p is 480p, even if upscaled.

· Registered
5,131 Posts
My friend just picked up the Blu-ray BBC release of planet earth and it's indeed much better than the Broadcast HD. I had watched all the episodes on Discovery HD but will now watch of the episodes on his release. First BCB has a lot mroe footage in each episode and they have David Attenbourough(sp?) doing the narration(better than sigourney weaver IMO).

· Registered
60 Posts
you can check out this thread that i had asked a similar question
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856473

the short answer is, the dvd's are spectacular in their own right... but they don't look anything like the HD versions (be it blu ray, hddvd or broadcast hdtv).

if you're thinking the SD-DVD will match the HD version, you'll be sorely dissappointed, as i was :p I'm using an oppo to upconvert and it still just doesn't satisfy

that being said, if you don't have HD-DVD or Blu Ray, it's still a worthwhile dvd to have, as the cinematography and scenery etc. is all jaw dropping... just the PQ is a bit lacking.

· Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/0

I have the BBC version on DVD. It looks excellent to me, but I haven't seen the HDTV broadcast for comparison.

I've seen the discovery HD broadcast version and teh BBC blur ray definitely looks betetr. The colors just have more pop. Haven't seen teh HD-DVD version but it has to be identical to the blu-ray.

· Registered
3,510 Posts

I can't see any point in watching this series in low definition (aka DVD). As well, anything less than 100" would seem like a waste. This series is about visuals. It needs to be big and detailed.

· Registered
16,966 Posts
I don't know how it was on a over compressed cable or satellite feed, but on the OTA broadcast from CBC in Toronto, it was supurb.

Though not all was HD, the parts that were, were noticeable better than the DVD.

· Registered
488 Posts
You'll be disappointed with the SD version. Not so much in the closeups and such, which look fine for the most part, but in those very wide shots (of say, the enormous flock of birds or ... well, basically any overhead shot) the lesser resolution becomes glaringly apparent. I'd almost say it's a huge distraction because of how bad it looks in relation to watching it on HD cable.

· Registered
4,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXpress /forum/post/11655031

You'll be disappointed with the SD version. Not so much in the closeups and such, which look fine for the most part, but in those very wide shots (of say, the enormous flock of birds or ... well, basically any overhead shot) the lesser resolution becomes glaringly apparent. I'd almost say it's a huge distraction because of how bad it looks in relation to watching it on HD cable.

I agree - Caught a few epps on Discovery HD and bought the SD.

It was a mistake. Since then I picked up a BD player, but have yet to re purchase the BD copy.

· Registered
10 Posts
I agree that the standard DVDs' PQ is lacking. There have been better SD mastering jobs than this, making the difference between it and the HD version more pronounced. This is the title that broke the camel's back and has convinced me to buy a Blu-Ray player for Christmas.

· Registered
3,147 Posts
I just made Planet Earth my very first Blu Ray buy. Just received it in the mail today from Amazon.

You guys will love this - I dont have my setup yet, no big tv or Blu Ray player, but I will be getting one around the end of the year and thats not that far away, and I will either be buying a Blu Ray player or the new Samsung dual Blu Ray and HD player.

There is a note in the dvd that says its possible the discs were made after your Blu Ray player and that you may need a firmware or software update to ensure the best possible viewing.

Would this affect me, or has this affected anybody else, and what exactly do they mean by THE BEST POSSIBLE VIEWING?

· Registered
22,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYWLKR /forum/post/12209775

Any body like the HDTV narration better with the female USA'ian rather than the brit on the HD-DVD's?

if there is, they haven't said so in the other threads about this title...

nothing against sigourney, but i know david attenborough, and she's no david attenborough...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.