Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I'm planning to make a dedicated HT BUILDING. outside of my house. it will be 90% HT and 10% poolhouse w/ changing room. What would be the ideal size? I have a G70 and the screen could be around 8' wide.

I have a crew and just need some guidance on the dimensions. Is there anyone who would sell me some plans including the electrical?

Thanks,

MRW

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
First of all let me say that I am TERRIBLY jealous. I would love to have a dedicated space so I didn't have to worry about sound transmission, beams, pipes, ducts, etc. Bravo!

Kind of an open ended question but here goes anyway. Cardas has some very specific ideas about room dimensions and speaker placement that I have always found to work quite well. His "ideal" room is 10' high by 16' wide by 26' long.

Most of his layouts are based on the Fibanacci sequence. Speaker placement and seating positions are based on fractions of the room dimensions.

Here is the link

Go to the Room Setup menu selection. Lots of theory, drawings, etc.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Great idea...

I had an old stable on my property here near D.C. I don;t have horses nor ever plan to have horses. WEll I turned it into my private theater/demo room and office complete with A/C internet...shower.... ...bar...etc.... DSS..hdtv...DSL..

IT has been great as I can come out here and not bother a soul....even at loud volumes....so I applaud your effort....

My main theater/office room is 21 X 32...screen on the 21 width...comfortably fitted with 8 Berkline electric recliners..52 X 92 Stewart FIrehawk...etc.etc...

Best of luck on your building..

Regards,

JOHN

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've recently seen John's HT and I can vouch for how great it is. It's so self-contained that if it were mine, I'd probably just live in that barn!

John, you forgot to mention that the barn has a Sharp 9000, Firehawk, twin SVS subs, Berkline theater chairs, theater carpeting, etc!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That barn sounds pretty nice! Thanks for all the help guys. I have the good fortune right now to be able to put a crew together and at the very least get the walls and ceiling up right away. I guess the question was rather open but I was curious to see of there was a particular formula according to screen size.

I hope to have a couple recliners and a couch behind it on a riser. I'm shooting to replicate the Widescreen Review "holosonic" room.

OH, it will be ALL CONCRETE. Roof walls floor. Thinking about the core filled foam blocks.

Thanks again.

MRW

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello Mike.

You may find my Mediaooom spreadsheet useful.

You can download it from the link below my signature.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
hi Mike ---

Why did you choose concrete? I was thinking of going the concrete route myself. My HT room is still in the planning stages. I was thinking of 20' by 26', and about 12' to the ceiling.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pocatello. The main reason is Storms. I've seen close to a dozen in as many years in the form of depressions to Hurricanes. The worst part about a hurricane is being stuck inside a house with power for around twelve hours. I plan to be able to watch movies the entire time it's blowing outside:) Gen set the whole nine. The other reason is it will be backfilled along the "longside" in order to create a deck surface on roof.

Thats a big space you are planning. It is more square than the ones Ive seen other people do. May I ask how you came up with these dimensions?

MRW

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Mike said:

Quote:
Thats a big space you are planning. It is more square than the ones Ive seen other people do. May I ask how you came up with these dimensions?
yes... 20' x 26' x 12' is about as big as I could build. Once I build this room, there will be no more room to build on my lot.

Why so big? Well, I want to use it for more than just a theater. I plan on using it as a "digital convergence" area, or in plain speak, I'll set up an area to use computers, connected to my home network, so a few people could play PC or console games against each other. I would like at least two games to use a front PJ for a display. I plan to have at least four computers/ monitors ready for use, with accompanying desk or counter space.

I would build an equipment room within the dimensions mentioned above, and have special HVAC to keep it cold inside.

I would also like a pool table, or if that is not possible, a foosball table. And maybe a small sink and counter / mini-bar.

In other words, my room would be multi-purpose. I'm trying to plan for the future... but I don't know what the future will have in store for me. I expect to continue to have broadband internet, game consoles, and PCs, along with lots of HT gear.

As far as concrete... I am concerned about storms as well. I don't get hurricanes in my area... but we have lots of strong winds.

(for more information about winds and disasters, and how you can help prevent damage or catastrophe at your home by building a "safe room," check this link:
http://www.fema.org/

or
http://www.fema.gov/mit/tsfs02.htm

or "call 1-888-565-3896 and request a copy of publication FEMA 320. ")

I probably don't need a safe room in my area... but if you call and request the FEMA 320, you get on a mailing list of companies that want to help you build your safe room. BTW, concrete is the only material that can withstand the catastrophic forces present in horrible wind storms. And concrete keeps the neighbor's kids noise outside of the HT!

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.